Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having an unusual amount of flex in my handlebars so I decided to install polyurethane riser bushings. I really didn't expect it to be much of an issue to replace, but I can't seem to get to the bolt heads. There's a cover right below them. I looked in my service manual, but it just says to remove the bolts to remove the lower mount, it doesn't mention how to get to the bolts with that mount/cover in the way. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
All you should have to do is turn the handlebars left to access the right bolt and right to access the left bolt. It's easier to crack them loose with the handlebars still on. Hope this helps you, good luck!

·
Registered
184 Posts
All you should have to do is turn the handlebars left to access the right bolt and right to access the left bolt. It's easier to crack them loose with the handlebars still on. Hope this helps you, good luck!
What he said. I have a '12 RGC and just did mine too while I did the bars. I used a deep socket and an extension to get up in there and crack them.

I noticed mine had red Loctite on them, but I put blue Loctite on when I put them back in, per the manual.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys. You'd think I would have been smart enough to figure that one out. Sorry.
Any advice when installing? I'm guessing I should get the bolts in far enough to clear and then put the clamps together before tightening. Sound right?

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Thanks Guys. You'd think I would have been smart enough to figure that one out. Sorry.
Any advice when installing? I'm guessing I should get the bolts in far enough to clear and then put the clamps together before tightening. Sound right?
WIKID1, When Installing the bolts make sure they are in far enough to clear underneath before turning the bars otherwise the bolt head will catch and you'll have trouble turning them.
If you run into any problems don't hesitate to ask here on Our Great Forum.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts