Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, new member, just purchased this bike, thanks for having me! The sound system is my biggest complaint. Been reading as much as I can here. This is where I'm at:

Stinger amp
PA 601cx speakers

Disclaimer: I'm handy with tools, but never really got into audio. I'm planning on a wiring kit for the amp, but just cant get my head around what head unit to get. The shops i go to all want to push me into the Rockford HU, and then upgrade the amp and speakers from Rockford.

I dont PLAN on putting in rear speakers, but you never know. I just want a good clean sound I can reasonably hear at 70 mph on calmer days.
Thank you!

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Welcome, from New York, to The Greatest Forum on The Internet!
Congrats on The Glide.
As far as Headunits go the New Rockford is a nice unit but costly.
Some guys run the Aquatic and like them others have the Alpine 149 BTC with good success. I’m running a Sony MEX100BT and like it very much.
Since You’re not a Audio person a good look would be into Fathead Cycles as they offer Plug and Play Systems.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sorry I cannot help on the audio.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the tank!!

There's an Audio section and I'm pretty sure you can find comments and reviews on different head units.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Congrats on The Glide.
Some guys run the Aquatic and like them others have the Alpine 149 BTC with good success. I’m running a Sony MEX100BT and like it very much.
Since You’re not a Audio person a good look would be into Fathead Cycles as they offer Plug and Play Systems.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

I’m running the Sony m72 after doing my conversion without an amp and I’m happy with it.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I have the RF system in this second bike I just bought including the HU. Pretty simple plug and play setup with their stuff from what I saw under the hood a few times. It ain't cheap for a HU though. $649. First bike Ive had with an aftermarket HU so I can't compare it to the others. I know it's finicky on what iDevices you can use. I can't use my iPod nano out of my '15 as it doesn't recognize it. I was given a 6th gen iPod touch from the neighbor that they didn't use so that's in the glove box now.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys,

Im in the same situation as the op and had a few questions regarding the head units. What determines sound quality from one head unit or brand of head unit to another? Im thinking of going the same route as the OP as far as the mmat speakers and stinger amp and Im stuck on which head unit to install. If im going to install the external stinger amp, does it really matter what the internal amp of the head unit is rated at? I really dont care about all the bells and whistles on the head units when it comes to changing the colors of the display or bass boost, things like, i just want to be able to BT my iphone to the thing and be able to skip songs and control the volume from the handle bars. Btw, mine is a 2013 fltru. I feel like i can skimp on the head unit since im doing the amp and speakers but im not sure.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I went with the cheaper Aquatic on my 11 RGU. Big improvement. Hand controls still work. Lost CB, intercom and the auto volume adjustment, but I never used the CB or intercom. I also upgraded the speakers to some JM Rokkers. I don't blow anyone away or won't win any contests, but can enjoy tunes on the interstate now. No AMP BTW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congrats on The Glide.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

Hi Mike, ive seen you recommend the mmats 601's a few times in here so i thought id ask. I have a 2013 fltru, will they mount right up in place of the two factory speakers in my front fairing? Will i need to purchase seperate grills or anything?

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Hi Mike, ive seen you recommend the mmats 601's a few times in here so i thought id ask. I have a 2013 fltru, will they mount right up in place of the two factory speakers in my front fairing? Will i need to purchase seperate grills or anything?
Hi JTH, I would also purchase the Biketronics Speaker Adapters as they are the strongest ones to hold speakers in properly.
I do believe that Your stock grilles should be okay.
Here's a link to Biketronics BT103 Road Glide 6.5" or 7.1" Speaker Adapter
If You need a place to purchase The MMats just let me know.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, due to not being able to get some items locally, and some just impossible to find....I went to Crutchfield and ordered the Sony MEX-M72BT head unit, have (2) MMats 601cx speakers, and ended up ordering MMats amp MD4110 that I'm going to bridge for now. I'm getting the Metra install kit and the handlebar controller from a local shop. I'm learning as I go as i've never done anything like this before. Thank you to all that are willing to help! Looks like per Mike U i need to order some better speaker adaptors. Does anyone foresee any issues with this install into my 2012 RG?

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Well, due to not being able to get some items locally, and some just impossible to find....I went to Crutchfield and ordered the Sony MEX-M72BT head unit, have (2) MMats 601cx speakers, and ended up ordering MMats amp MD4110 that I'm going to bridge for now. I'm getting the Metra install kit and the handlebar controller from a local shop. I'm learning as I go as i've never done anything like this before. Thank you to all that are willing to help! Looks like per Mike U i need to order some better speaker adaptors. Does anyone foresee any issues with this install into my 2012 RG?
Tom you will also need RCA cables to connect the amp to the radio. You will also want to get some good speaker wire to connect Your new speakers to the amp.
Mike U.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First, thanks everyone for the help! But, I have a lot of engines noise-goes up and down with rpm. I ran the ground all the way to a bolt on the frame by the battery. Should I shorten it up and get closer to the amp....OR go directly to the - on the battery? It is a MMAts 4110.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
First, thanks everyone for the help! But, I have a lot of engines noise-goes up and down with rpm. I ran the ground all the way to a bolt on the frame by the battery. Should I shorten it up and get closer to the amp....OR go directly to the - on the battery? It is a MMAts 4110.
Tom, first try connecting the Ground to The Battery and see if the problem goes away.
If not, make sure Your RCA's are in correctly and properly.
Best of Luck.
Mike U.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So....I tore everything apart and tried finding a bad ground...or anything that could have been giving me terrible engine noise through my speakers. Finally, took the tape off my harness from the Sony headunit, cut the black wire out of it, and ran it to the amp connected to the ground there-which had since been moved to the - on the battery...noise is completely gone.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
So....I tore everything apart and tried finding a bad ground...or anything that could have been giving me terrible engine noise through my speakers. Finally, took the tape off my harness from the Sony headunit, cut the black wire out of it, and ran it to the amp connected to the ground there-which had since been moved to the - on the battery...noise is completely gone.
Tom I’m glad you were able to find the problem.
Sure was an easy fix.
Mike U.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts