Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems burning MP3 disks that will play in the 2012 Harmon Kardon radios? I am getting quite frustrated as none of the formats and speeds I have used seem to work. It constantly comes up with a disk error. Any knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its been awhile but the last one I did I had to remove the art work and that seemed to work. What are you using to make the cd?

Mark

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gents,

I have tried using Roxio, Itunes etc, and burning at the slowest speed possible which I hear is a problem at higher speeds. I will try the tag remover and see if that works for me. What a pain in the ass. Thank you both for your help and response. I am using my desktop pc to burn the disks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The problem is the album art embedded in the mp3. Go in itunes.. remove the album art from all the mp3s you want to burn on the cd. I've tested this. The problem is 100% album art in the mp3.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is the album art embedded in the mp3. Go in itunes.. remove the album art from all the mp3s you want to burn on the cd. I've tested this. The problem is 100% album art in the mp3.
\\

Thank you! I will give that a shot! Much appreciated! I guess these HK radios are a bit picky! Thanks to everyone for the help!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
argh!

Ok, so I tried removing all tags from the songs that I wanted to burn. I then burned as a data cd. Still no dice. So now when I have time I will have to go in and remove the art and see if that works. Seriously, they all play in my car stereo. Harmon Kardon sucks!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just search mp3 or burning with my name. I copied a write up i founnd that explains step by step how to make discs with 70 - 100 songs. I will copy it tonight after i get back from work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Ok, so I tried removing all tags from the songs that I wanted to burn. I then burned as a data cd. Still no dice. So now when I have time I will have to go in and remove the art and see if that works. Seriously, they all play in my car stereo. Harmon Kardon sucks!
Album art is an issue, but not the end cure. In itunes when you burn the itune file to a playable cd it burns it in its current version. The HD HK stereo doesn't recognize it. You will need to first convert the itunes file to an .mp3 file, once you do that then select all files and right click and then select convert ID3 tags to the lowest version, probably 1.1.

·
Registered
830 Posts
This is from Zeus 33 on HD Forums.

This works for me every time! :D

I've had some problems making an mp3 music disk that would play in the Harmon Kardon on my RG. So I've figured out the problems and can now make the disks. I am sure others probably have run into the same problems so I thought I'd just post a little cook book on what I discovered. I am using windows vista so that's what these instructions are for. Someone else might want to post the differences when using other operationg systems, like the mac, or even other windows versions, like windows 95.

Here's my cookbook...

1. The music must be in MP3 format. The HK player won't recognize WMA (windows media) format or any other.

2. You can rip the above format using the windows media player. Just select the options menu item under the "rip" tab and set it to MP3 before you start, otherwise you'll get the wrong format. Then put in your music CD and press the "start rip" button. ( by the way, rip means - copy the music from the cd to your computer )

3. Here's the step I was doing wrong. I was using the windows explorer to burn the mp3 disk, and getting the wrong format. You should use the windows media player. Under the "burn" tab select the options menu item. Set the playlist type to "M3U", not "WPL". Windows will default the playlist to "WPL" (windows play list), and your disk will not work in anything other than a windows player. If you set it to "M3U" the disk will work in all industry standard players, including the Harmon Kardon on your bike. (Trust Microsoft to change the industry standard!! Typical windows crap)

4. Also under the burn tab make sure you select "Data CD".

Burn the disk, when it's done it will automatically close it out, or finalize it. Then it will work in the HK. It's really nice, it shows the artist and song name on the display when the song starts. I really like it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PFWiz,

Thank you sir. I appreciate it. I have tried everything from removing the art, to changing the tag version etc etc. And still can't get anything to play on the HK. I did find one thing in Itunes that I will have to investigate further though. It asks if I want to convert to an mp3 file, and I say yes, but when I go into info it always shows up as an MPEG file. Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not. I also tried using roxio and 8x and still nothing. This is really getting frustrating!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PFWiz,

Thanks for the info. I am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my deck. I followed those instructions to the letter and It still comes up with disk error! Really annoying. I will keep playing with it, but let me know if you can think of anything else. I am using windows vista and windows media player. Its setup to M3U and when I open the files they are in MP3 format. Not sure what to think now. UGH!

·
Registered
830 Posts
This is strange.
That formula works for me everytime. Also works for my car.
Try the CD in your car. Does it work there?

Maybe it is a CDR vs CDR/W issue?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Maybe the HK doesn't like your taste in music

·
Registered
115 Posts
the only issues i have ever had is when the songs were either copy protected or had a security issue. they would play on my computer fine but not my truck or bike. you might take the disc you burned and see if you can get it to play on something else.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally fixed!

Well everyone,

I think I have it nailed. It looks like it is picky about what kind of CDRs are used. I had a cd that was burned a while back on a different type of disk and it works just fine. The other disks that I used for the bike will work on the computer and in my car and truck. They just won't read on the bike. So I tried a different type of CDR and It works fine now. I am just glad that it was not they radio! So my advice to anyone that is having issues with this, is to try a different type of CDR if everything else does not work. Now its time to create my riding CD!!! Thanks for the help everyone! I really appreciate it! RIDING SEASON IS HERE! STAY SAFE AND RIDE HARD!

Happy Easter.

Nolan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts