Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I just moved from NM which is about 6 to 8K feet elevation to oregon which is pretty close to sea level. I am having issues with power, stalling, and all kinds of shit here. I don't think it likes oregon! I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the power commander and if it is easy to load new maps on your own, or if its just better to take it to the dealer. Either way this has got to get fixed. It had all kinds of power in NM. I can't get out of my own way here! Thanks in advance.

Nolan Proud road glide owner!

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
Change in elevation will give you a lean condition. Not knowing what you have on your RG pertaining to exhaust/AC it is hard to suggest one thing that may help. If everything is stock I would take it to the dealer and get a new download. If you have pipes/AC I would suggest you get the PV. Maps are available from Fuel Moto if you buy PV from him. More information is required. :confused:

Do you work for Intel?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have had my normally aspirated ( carborated ) 2000 Duce at sea level in Florida, and the highest mountain passes in Colorado. For example, Vail Pass is 10500 ft. No problem. Same with 2008 Road Glide. Perhaps I was not getting optimal combustion, but what I get/got is good enough.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
to faststan

Yes sir. I do work for Intel. I am here in Oregon from NM. My bike is pretty stock except for the exhaust which are Tailgunners. its a hopped up 103 with the stage 4. Nothing aftermarket though but the pipes. I do have the module for downloads which came with the bike. It was running great there in NM. IT is not happy right now. Thanks for all the help!

Nolan
Beaverton Oregon
[email protected]

·
Registered
454 Posts
Your bike has a sensor, can't remember it's name, I know there is one called a Map sensor. I know modern bikes adjusts for elevations. Maybe it's not working properly, is the bike giving any error codes?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
error codes

as far as I know its not. What would I need to do to find them on a 2012? does it have a maintenance light or something like that on the speedo/tac?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
Yes sir. I do work for Intel. I am here in Oregon from NM. My bike is pretty stock except for the exhaust which are Tailgunners. its a hopped up 103 with the stage 4. Nothing aftermarket though but the pipes. I do have the module for downloads which came with the bike. It was running great there in NM. IT is not happy right now. Thanks for all the help!

Nolan
Beaverton Oregon
[email protected]
I used to work out of Gilbert office long time ago. Travelled to Rio Rancho, Austin, Oregon, Calif to train people on PC's. Main office was in Deer Valley for my department in Az. Prolly not a lot of other businesses with offices in Rio Rancho and Oregon. I also worked for Grantree Furniture in Portland. I don't know if they are still around.

Since it is a '12 it should still be in warranty. Let the dealer worry about it. A stage 4 is not pretty much stock. You may need to get a dyno tune since you have the module for downloads (SEPST/SERT)? :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
as far as I know its not. What would I need to do to find them on a 2012? does it have a maintenance light or something like that on the speedo/tac?
I believe in the speedo a light will flash several times, not the abs light if installed. How many times it flashes is an error code and some where on the boards here is a key to the codes. I wonder if you could unplug the power commander? But I think a Power Commander bypasses your O2 sensors. You might have to put those back on if they were disabled. Getting more complicated now.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
If you are running a power commander, your bike will not adjust to compensate for the difference in elevation. The SE Super tuner will adjust, but the Power Commander will not.
You need to re-tune, or download a map for your build. Downloading maps is easy.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
All the info you need to access your DTCs are in the troubleshooting section of this forum and you can use the 2010 and later DTC code list to help diagnose your problems.
The bikes ECM with stock O2 sensors should adjust for all elevation changes.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Was your bike tuned when you lived in NM? If it was, then you may have the adaptive function disabled or running open loop. If so you will be lean at sea level.

If you have no tuner, the stock ECM should accomodate. The barometric sensor is built into the MAP Sensor on your bike. MAP sensor should throw codes if it's damaged. Look for codes using Ironmarks sticky.

If you have a Power Commander they don't use the O2 sensors so you'll have less adaptability, but it would still accomodate for altitude change.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SE Tuner Questions.

Change in elevation will give you a lean condition. Not knowing what you have on your RG pertaining to exhaust/AC it is hard to suggest one thing that may help. If everything is stock I would take it to the dealer and get a new download. If you have pipes/AC I would suggest you get the PV. Maps are available from Fuel Moto if you buy PV from him. More information is required. :confused:

Do you work for Intel?
Faststan: I am using the SE supertuner. I am waiting on my new cable to arrive. I am running Tailgunner pipes with the factory AC that came with my ultra. I believe it has the stage 2 kit. It was a demo from the bike shop. When I hook up to the ECM will it tell me all the specs?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I wouldnt think a change in elevation would cause these problems.
If its still under warranty take it to a dealer.

Plenty of people ride their bikes on long trips from mountains to ocean without problems, and to suggest you need to retune the bike just because you are in a higher elevation doesnt make sense to me.

If it hasnt been mentioned before, I'd check and clean the throttle body connection, being sure to use (carefully) a small amount of dielectric grease.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!

I wouldnt think a change in elevation would cause these problems.
If its still under warranty take it to a dealer.

Plenty of people ride their bikes on long trips from mountains to ocean without problems, and to suggest you need to retune the bike just because you are in a higher elevation doesnt make sense to me.

If it hasnt been mentioned before, I'd check and clean the throttle body connection, being sure to use (carefully) a small amount of dielectric grease.
This actually makes sense cause I have noticed some hesitation on acceleration. I will give that a try. Thanks for the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts