Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be doing the fluid changes on my 2013 SG and my dads 2005 RK.

Checked the service manuals, and here's the info:

2013:
Engine: 3 quarts
Primary: 38oz wet
Tranny: 28oz

2005:
Engine: 3.5 quarts
Primary: 32oz
Tranny: 20-24oz

Just wanted to make sure this was correct. I'm planning the following:

Redline Primary Oil -- 42904 -- $14.95/qt @ amazon (7 qt's total)
Redline Engine Oil -- 42504 -- $13.95/qt @ amazon (3 qts)
Redline Tranny Shockproof -- 42804 -- $15.08/qt @ amazon (2 qts)

What oil filters do you guys prefer?

I read the derby cover gasket on the 2013 can be reused, but should I replace the one on the 2005?

Anything else I should be looking at? We're planning a big trip during labor day week and want to have all the fluids fresh for the trip.

The 2013 is at 2400 miles, had the 1000 mile service done at 1200miles, but want to get the harley fluid out and redline in. The 2005 was done at 5000 miles and has about 8000 on it now.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with using the oil filters from HD. I would also suggest purchasing an oil scavenger. (shop.roguechopper.com). It will remove the one quart of oil that's still being held in the engine. This because your changing oil brands and going with a true synthetic. Nice to know all the dirty and different oil has been flushed. IMO
I also think changing to Redline products is a very good choice. I would replace both derby cover gaskets. They don't cost that much.

You will need 11 qts. of engine oil and only 3 qts. of primary oil.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Use the pancake style derby gasket. It's a full disk that works way better than the o-ring style

I like using k/n filter mostly because they have a nut welded onto the end and makes removal and tightening waybetter

Good luck. Take your time. Have a beer

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
just double checked your math. you do not need 7qts of primary fluid....

i think you're gonna find that the 3 qts for the 13 is gonna be more like 3.5 qts. if you look in the owner's manual, the spec is 4.0 qts. the oil change procedure says to initially add 3.0 qts and then add additional to bring it within spec.

for the primary, i would use rotella t 15w-40. it is jaso certified for use in wet clutches and can be had from autozone, advance, etc. for about $13 for a gallon jug.

the k&n filters are nice enough, but i prefer the hd oil filters. i don't have any problems taking them off and they can be had for about half the cost of the k&n.

i've reused the derby cover quad ring gasket many times and had no leaks. on the 05, i am not sure if it has the quad ring or the pancake style. if its the pancake, i've no experience on them.

the scavenger thing, well, if it makes you feel good to use it, then go ahead. but *my opinion* is that it isn't necessary. the little bit of leftover oil is not gonna explode if it mixes with synthetic. and while it may take a quart of new oil to get the old oil out, it isn't holding a qt of old oil back.

·
Registered
138 Posts
When using oil scavenger, it will take a quart to a quart and a half of fresh oil to flush the system. It's very easy to use. I would compare using the oil scavenger to changing the transmission fluid in your vehicle. Either you drop the transmission oil pan and drain the fluid or have your transmission fluid completely flushed so the entire system is clear and has new fluid. You will be amazed how much dirty oil is still left in there. I admitt everyone has their own opinion about doing this, but I personally feel better knowing that the engine's motor oil is totally changed and fresh. So a total of 10 qts. for both bikes should be enough. Also stick with the Redline products, especially the primary and the transmission, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I don't like Shock Proof. When I pulled apart the tranny on my softail the main bearing was so gummed up with the shockproof. I run 75W90 Mobil 1 gear oil or just regular old Drag Specialties tranny oil.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use Mobil Syn in the engine. Redline in the Trans and Primary. I change the gasket every time. I use a K and N oil filter (has the easy off nut) and I also use the scavenger system. I also change the plugs when I do a fluid change. I run mostly highway miles only and sometimes stretch my oil changes to 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I change the gasket every time.

I also change the plugs when I do a fluid change.
any reason why or just cause? i used to change the plugs at every oil change on my sporty but it was carbed and would usually get fouled by then anyway. on the new efi, manual specs 25k as change interval. i changed mine at 30k and they still looked good.

as far as the primary gasket, do you use the quad ring or the pancake gasket? i use the quad ring and have done over 40k worth of oil changes with the same one.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just out of habit. Gasket and plugs are inexpensive (to me). Also, forgot to mention I look at (clean or replace if necessary) the air cleaner. I've had a couple of bad experiences with HD dealers doing a poor job when doing service for me. I agree it probably is overkill.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally did my fluid change on the 2013, did the 05 last week. Anyway is it normal for the 2013 to only take a little more then 3 QTS?

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts