Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, when extending the front brake lines on a 2013 RGC NON ABS, does the entire line assembly all the way down to the calipers get replaced or does the upper half disconnect from the split under the forks?

Also how much longer clutch and brake line will I need for 14 inch bars?

·
Registered
8,559 Posts
So, when extending the front brake lines on a 2013 RGC NON ABS, does the entire line assembly all the way down to the calipers get replaced or does the upper half disconnect from the split under the forks?

Just the top part of the brake line will need replacing. I was able to keep all oem when switched over to 12" bars. Most of the cables,wires, hoses are now at their max extention.
So with that being mentioned, I'd go at least +2 and no more then +4.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I installed 14" bars and was able to keep the stock brake and clutch lines. I did have to cut some cable ties to get some free slack. I'm a 2016 but would think would be about the same in length.

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
Just the top part of the brake line will need replacing. I was able to keep all oem when switched over to 12" bars. Most of the cables,wires, hoses are now at their max extention.

I'm in the process of gathering parts to install 14" KlIpHanger Pullback bar on my 13 FLTRU (with ABS). I ordered +4" stainless braided top brake line and clutch cable for mine along with both a 4" and 8" wire extensions (I'll use the best one that fits). I'm not really looking forward to the brake line part of the job, gonna try to fill and bleed the line so I don't get air in the ABS unit (probably will do a reverse fill from the calipers). I'll keep you posted on what I learn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So how does the upper line come off. Im looking at the splitter under the forks and it looks to me like the upper line is crimped on to the splitter. It does not appear to screw off. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed 14" bars and was able to keep the stock brake and clutch lines. I did have to cut some cable ties to get some free slack. I'm a 2016 but would think would be about the same in length.
Do you have ABS on the 2016?

Mine is a 2013 that does not have ABS. So the front brake line run straight from the master cylinder down under the fork clamp and then into a splitter unit that branches out to right and left calipers. Its a totally different setup when you don't have ABS.

What I need to know is, does the upper bake line on a NON ABS model disconnect from that splitter under the front fork. No one who has a bike with ABS has this set up as your front brake line runs from the master cylinder and then back to the ABS unit under the side cover.

Can some one with a 2013 or under RG that does NOT have ABS please respond.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
2013 non ABS

I did mine and the OEM brake line was 1 piece so I went with a replacement 3 line configuration and longer clutch cable. Thinking it was LA Chopper components. The wires reached on my 16" bars with a lot of rerouting required.

·
Registered
8,559 Posts
So how does the upper line come off. Im looking at the splitter under the forks and it looks to me like the upper line is crimped on to the splitter. It does not appear to screw off. What am I missing here?
Sorry, I was wrong. Confused it was my FXR that Ive been wor king on. It's also a one piece on my 10.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I was wrong. Confused it was my FXR that Ive been wor king on. It's also a one piece on my 10.
Thanks guys. So how much longer of a line would I need for 14 inch bars.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I recently put 14'' factory 47 assault bars on my 13 rgc had to replace whole brake assembly as I do not have abs also! went +4 on brake and clutch but my wiring was plenty long. in fact 16'' may have been possible but 14'' was the max I wanted to go! hope this helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts