Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to my first bike week this year. Anyone have any tips regarding best place to stay - or better yet places or areas to avoid? I've heard a few horror stories about bikes being stolen or stripped.
Also, what's it like getting to & from hotels on Atlantic Ave near the boardwalk? I hear the traffic is neverending during the event.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Oh the traffic. Not sure how many HUGE events you've been to, but I remember burning the fu#$ out of my legs trying to get into Rossmeyers Destination Daytona. I swear everyone in Florida was heading in there

·
Registered
27 Posts
Traffic is horrible on Main Street, but otherwise tolerable. You'll pick up alternative routes pretty quick.

Great event! My 6th year!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Advise, if possible go the first weekend instead of the second, get a map of the area and take the back roads as much as possible. There are ways to get around and still get to the popular areas without to much traffic, but be prepared for stop and go. Remember it's bike week and there will definitely be quite a few bikes there the entire time.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
We live about an hour South of Daytona and go up a couple of times every year but never have bothered to spend the night (too close anyway). Maybe that's why I've never "lost" anything.

Tips on traffic and cool spots to go? We do endure the "Main Street Crawl" once each year - tradition. Here's how we do it anyway:

We stop first at the vendors-row set up at the Race Track (enter from HWY 92, Eastbound). The we go East on 92 to a left hand at N. Beach (the old Rossmeyers will be on the West side of Beach but we park anywhere we can find - more vendors here). THEN we go a block or so farther North on N. Beach to Main St. and hang a right.

Whatever way you get there though, indeed stand-by for serious stop'n'go on Main Street but like I said, "tradition". Stop and take it in if you like (and can find a place to park). If you've never been before, I suggest doing that at least once (more "tradition"). After that though, continue East on Main to Hwy A1A and "get the hell out of Dodge". Daytona has pretty good major streets and I can't think of any that are better than another to get wherever you're going.

A trip to Destination Daytona is worth it too... lots of places for a "cold one" just South of D.D. on HWY 1 and besides, gets you down to a good place turn and "Do The Loop" if y'all like Spanish Moss draped old oak trees that arch across the road from both sides. Just ask ANY local about how to get there if you'd like to do that.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The "Loop" is a must. Beautiful. Cruise up to St. Augustine on A1A. Hang around in the old quarter. Tour the fort there. There's another fort approx. 1/2 way between Flagler Beach & SA. It was built to guard the back way into SA. Worth seeing.
I used to stay at the Bulow Resort Campground in Flagler Beach. Beautiful spot. You can cruise the Loop into Daytona from there. I haven't been there since Destination Daytona was built, so I don't know what changes have been made.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Theres a strip on US1 at Ormond Beach that is good too- Iron Horse is there and plenty of vendors as well. I always found the tshirts to be the cheapest here on the last weekend.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Don't forget the Cabbage Patch, and OMG......the BEEF TIPS AT IRONHORSE......!!!!;););)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I hope y'all realize that this is an old thread covering Bike Week 2013 (came and gone). The next Bike Week begins March 7, 2014, so maybe a new thread is appropriate?

Obviously the next Biktoberfest indeed IS in 2013... begins October 17, 2013.

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
For the past few years J&M and Soundzcustomz have been set up at Destination Daytona at both Bike week and Biketoberfest.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Yeah, just wanted to keep info on one thread so I can get to it easier. :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Fair enough Glide Shark - we're cool :cool:. I'm honestly NOT trying to derail this thread since some of y'all may only be interested in the 2014 Bike Week and having some advanced discussion on that event is the goal.

In case this helps though, the Biketoberfest folks already have the vendor list/locations and event dates/times posted at:

http://biketoberfest.org/

They also include listings of good local rides and (I imagine advertisers) food.

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Let's keep this going. I'm interested in places to stay march bike week 2014, appreciate any suggestions
Already getting late, unless you plan to spend at least $150+ per night you probably won't be staying right in Daytona, (at least at a nice hotel), might want to start looking places like Deland or Palm Coast.

Sent from my SPH-L710

1 - 20 of 21 Posts