Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Real quick as mentioned, this is for a 2013 road glide custom FLTRX, 103".

So my wife bought me the cruise control kit from Harley for xmas...easy install on the switch assembly on the handlebars and harness under the fairing, seeing it's plug n play, however, when I went to install the cruise control switch next to the ACC switch on the dash I ran into problems.

The installation instructions states to place the cruise control wires into the harness that is connected to the ACC switch in this order:

• Orange/violet wire to Cavity 4.
• Red/green wire to Cavity 5.
• Black/green wire with terminal to Cavity 12.
• Black/green wire without terminal, connect to the
speaker switch ground wire (if so equipped).

*If there is no speaker switch, tape the wire end with electrical
tape and secure to other wires.*

So after connecting everything accordingly, I taped the blk/grn wire aside as instructed and put everything back together. I know I still need to flash the ECM at the dealer, but I still checked everything to make sure it works. Bike turns on, right turn signal works great, brakes work, throttle, etc....go to turn on the ACC switch: it works. Go and turn on the Cruise switch: Low and behold I have no power to my cruise switch on my dash and no indicator light comes on my speedo.

The only thing I can think of is that ground wire that they told me to leave secured out of the way needs to be grounded? I called Harley and they give me the, "Oh yea yea do that," response. It makes since, but based on the instructions it's not needed and Harley didn't help at all.

Does anyone have any insight into this problem? I was planning on connecting the loose ground wire to either the ACC ground inside the harness or just bolting it down on the frame somewhere just to see if it will cause the light to work. Didn't get much help from the dealer or my manual. Thanks in advance and ride safe!

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you have a Service Manual look at the schematics which will show you exactly how to wire up the switch assembly.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
From what I remember when I did mine, it was a straight forward hook up. I do remember checking the manual for color coordinations.
I also lucked out, my cruise was already activated in the ecu.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, i did check my manual and it said nothing regarding the specific issue I was dealing with. However, when I cruised to my local Harley dealer, I stopped a fellow rider in the parking lot who enlightened me on the situation.

As it described in the Cruise control Kit instructions,

Seeing that I only had an ACC switch, I never connected the ground wire from the CRUISE switch to anything. This fellow rider said the instructions and your owners manual suck haha More importantly he said the ground wire is simply a ground wire. You can either hook it up to the ACC switch ground wire, Speaker ground wire (if you have that option), or simply ground the wire somewhere on the bike.

Having this in mind, I decided to ground the wire to the rear of the stereo mount. I hooked everything back up and BAM, the switch worked!

I road it down to Harley and it took them 5 minutes to hook up their 6K dollar computer to simply press the 'ON' switch to allow the cruise to work. Now everything works and I can now prepare my ride up North with relaxation :)

Hope this thread helps anyone who is preparing to do something similar.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
First of all, i did check my manual and it said nothing regarding the specific issue I was dealing with. However, when I cruised to my local Harley dealer, I stopped a fellow rider in the parking lot who enlightened me on the situation.

As it described in the Cruise control Kit instructions,

Seeing that I only had an ACC switch, I never connected the ground wire from the CRUISE switch to anything. This fellow rider said the instructions and your owners manual suck haha More importantly he said the ground wire is simply a ground wire. You can either hook it up to the ACC switch ground wire, Speaker ground wire (if you have that option), or simply ground the wire somewhere on the bike.

Having this in mind, I decided to ground the wire to the rear of the stereo mount. I hooked everything back up and BAM, the switch worked!

I road it down to Harley and it took them 5 minutes to hook up their 6K dollar computer to simply press the 'ON' switch to allow the cruise to work. Now everything works and I can now prepare my ride up North with relaxation :)

Hope this thread helps anyone who is preparing to do something similar.

Cheers
Sometimes you need to look in the back of the book in the wiring schematic section and figure things out for your self.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sometimes you need to look in the back of the book in the wiring schematic section and figure things out for your self.
Nice job reading Big_Gary....If you would have read above I stated it did not explain in my manual (which refers to the wiring schematics in the book) what to do with the wire I was dealing with. The schematic never mentioned the second Blk/Grn wire or what to ground it to, and the instructions stated you don't need to connect it up if you don't have the 'speaker switch.' Thank you though for your wonderful input :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Nice job reading Big_Gary....If you would have read above I stated it did not explain in my manual (which refers to the wiring schematics in the book) what to do with the wire I was dealing with. The schematic never mentioned the second Blk/Grn wire or what to ground it to, and the instructions stated you don't need to connect it up if you don't have the 'speaker switch.' Thank you though for your wonderful input :rolleyes:
Oh ya, I forgot the wiring schematics pages dont have words.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts