Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok thanks to all of the good information that I've received from this forum and its members I've started my build.

I have a brand new 2013 Road Glide Custom in Vivid Black. I bought the bike about three weeks ago and it has 400 miles on it.

Plans right now are to powder coat all chrome parts in gloss black and have the inner fairing painted vivid black. I have a set of 12in West Coast T-bars a thunder header and a set of 2014 stock Street Glide wheels.

As of now I've started tearing the bike down I have everything except the rocker boxes and push rod covers off so far.

Here are a few pictures of what I've done so far:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're coming off along with the push rod covers and blocks. I've been spending a few hours a night on it after work. Not in a big rush fairing still needs to go the painter next week.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
When you send out for powder coat make sure you have sacrificial bolts/screws in threaded holes so you don't have to tap them when you get things back. Been there and done that. Saves a headache.:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you send out for powder coat make sure you have sacrificial bolts/screws in threaded holes so you don't have to tap them when you get things back. Been there and done that. Saves a headache.:D
Thanks for the advice. I talked to the powder coater and he said that they will take care of the bolts.

All of my parts have been dropped off at the powder coater. I started working on the T-bars last night. I knew that the internal wiring was going to be a pain in a$$, but wow it really sucked. I removed the wires from the connectors and that was surprisingly easy. The TBW was the big issue, but I finally got it worked out. I used the CVO Twist Grip Sensor to eliminate the connections inside the bars. I bought a Namz +4 wire harness extension kit but I might not need it.

I hope to get the inner fairing set to the painter by the end of the week.

I mocked up the 2014 front wheel before I removed the frontend. Everything looked good with no modifications.

Here's what she looks like as she sits now.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looking good man. I just did all the chrome on mine in gloss black. Be prepared for the micro srcatches when you go with the gloss, unfortunately an unavoidable deal! Definitely subscribed for the end product.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Gonna look great, lgsmith!

Nice work Direwolf!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a call this evening and my parts are done. I'll pick them up Monday and start putting the bike back together. My exhaust is still chrome. I need to find someone who can do ceramic coating. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the high temp powder coating on an exhaust. I may have no choice but to powder coat it with high temp powder. I'll post pics when I get my parts back.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I got my parts back from the powder coater. The parts look good and I WAS rocking along on the reassembly until surprise my $30 harbor freight torque wrench didn't click or I missed it. I snapped the head off of the last rocker box bolt. FML....oh well stuff happens. Any suggestions on a fix before I take it some where?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Can you get to it??? Possibly use one of those screw out bits (drilll a reverse thread pilot hole in the center and them flip it over and as it bites, the broken bolt backs out)?

Good Luck.........

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm thinking that will work it's one of the short bolts. It just dawned on me that the bolt is not in the motor, it just screws into bottom half of the rocker box. So worst case I just take the rocker boxes off. I was thinking I had to take the whole bike in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I got the bolt out and the hole rethreaded.....There was just enough bolt left sticking out to allow me to grab it with some vice grips and spin it out. My dad had a tap and die set so I ran the tap through the hole and cleaned it up. Now the new bolt fits like a glove. Turns out there was some powder in the hole about midway down that hung the bolt up. I should have checked the threads first, oh well live and learn. I'll check the rest of the threads and keep on truckin.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts