Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time to replace the fork oil on my 2013 Road Glide Custom HD dealership wants 400 to do this. Has anyone replaced the fork oil without having to desasemble the entire forks to do it. Instructions and video or either would be great and much appreciated. HD sound really expensive

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Just changing the oil is pretty straight forward but in order to do it right, you really should drain, disassemble, inspect the components, replace the seals and dust boots, reassemble, and refill. there are some really good videos on youtube . It also kinda depends on how happy you are with the stock suspension and whether or not you want to upgrade to a cartridge style spring set up. It is pretty straight forward, but you do need a couple of special tools to do it right. If you don't own an impact wrench (either electric or air) and aren't interested in owning one, I's suggest finding a good Indy shop and seeing what they charge.

To tackle it yourself you'll need the aforementioned impact wrench plus
a 2.5 inch 6mm impact hex driver
An ignition alignment tool (you can try to make one with a 9/16 brass tube, but you can also buy one for 35.00 on any of the bike part stores online)
A good bench vise and fork tube holder- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-fork-tube-holder/163077824329?hash=item25f8321f49:g:mv4AAOSwovNaMuGi
and a 1-5/16th socket ( for the fork tube caps
A fork seal rebuild kit
Fork tube seal driver - Posse Fork Seal Driver
Fork oil
Good motorcycle jack
H-D service manual for your year and model bike

You can buy all of this stuff for way under 4 bills and have the satisfaction of doing this yourself. Do it once and see how easy it really is!

Here's a thought, if the dealer is going to charge you 4 bills to replace the fork oil, why not spent a couple hundy and upgrade to a cartridge system - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Progressive-Suspension-41mm-Monotube-Fork-Lowering-Kit-for-00-16-Harley-Softail/302120914784?epid=171166029&hash=item4657cf4f60:g:6pMAAOSwnbZYEmAi Buy the tools and do it yourself?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
while sfc is correct, i would also look at how many miles you have. i know your bike is 5 years old, but if you're a 2000 mile per year rider, i would forgo the complete tear down and opt for just replacing the fluid. if you have 30k or better, yeah, go with the complete tear down.

the hardest part for me was replacing that damn top cap. i swear i had the job done in 30 minutes, but it took the better part of 3 hours to get the threads started. i swore next time i had to do it, i would go with the cartridge system....

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
All the replies you got so far are extremely great, the only thing I personally would add to all the previous comments is that if you decide to only change the fluid, then to step up to a better fork oil than stock. I say this because I have heard a lot of people who are not suspension gurus but they just change their oil over to the SE fork oil and reap ear to ear grins on the new improved feel they have. Just my $.02, good luck.

·
Super Moderator
9,661 Posts
pretty easy to do , I did mine a long time ago and replaced the oil with the SE , first few hundred miles was pretty stiff , but after it settled , fantastic , biggest gain is no nose dive ..

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
i meant to mention that in my reply as well. a lot of people like the se heavy (me included). others think it is too stiff. but you can 'mix' your own cocktail. a lot of people will run a 50/50 mixture of stock and se heavy and are very happy with the results. it's easy enough to change again if you think it is too stiff or too soft... experiment with it until you find the formula you like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts