Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front tire feels like it is dragging when cornering. I had it looked at in Boise, ID on my trip last year and they told me my front calipers need rebuilt. I have searched everywhere and can't find a rebuild kit or parts for my front calipers. Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can find the parts to do this myself? Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
My front tire feels like it is dragging when cornering. I had it looked at in Boise, ID on my trip last year and they told me my front calipers need rebuilt. I have searched everywhere and can't find a rebuild kit or parts for my front calipers. Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can find the parts to do this myself? Thanks for any help you can offer.
You can always call up a super store like Dennis Kirk or jP cycles . They both have decent CS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cycle Pro Brake Caliper Rebuild Kit

After a great deal of reading and searching, I found some other forums. I was directed to the Cycle Pro HD Caliper Seal and Pistin Kit, Brembos CP#19257. This kit says for 06 and up and was $55 on Amazon. I did a search on Amazon with my bike and it directed me to a different kit. The reviews on that kit said it DIT NOT fit Brembos. I had to add the part# in order to find these. I will hopefully get to this project in the next week or two in between the rest of my projects and will return with an update.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anyone was wondering, the Caliper and Piston Kit from Cycle Pro seems to fit. Everything went together smoothly. The pistons are a different material and I'm assuming that isn't going to make a huge difference. I am having trouble bleeding the brakes. The ABS light is not on so that is a good thing. I'm going to let it sit overnight and try again in the morning.

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
If anyone was wondering, the Caliper and Piston Kit from Cycle Pro seems to fit. Everything went together smoothly. The pistons are a different material and I'm assuming that isn't going to make a huge difference. I am having trouble bleeding the brakes. The ABS light is not on so that is a good thing. I'm going to let it sit overnight and try again in the morning.
Not sure about abs, but bleeding non abs is a breeze with Mighty vac Vacuum pump.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Just incase you're wondering why you are having such a hard time finding replacement parts for the brembo brakes on your 13 glide, IT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT REBUILDABLE! That's pretty much spelled out in the service manual and on most forums as well. Sorry, them's the breaks, pun intended. If you were able to rebuild them you still need to take the bike into the shop to have the brakes bled if it's abs, You cannot bleed them manually with ABS something about the distribution block.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
check out this link
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_149697468173614&key=dd14854017e6aa834e601a6ab6b3e314&libId=j3p81h1z01001nbo000DAq86dj4g7&loc=http://www.roadglide.org/29-do-yourself/4600-harley-manuals.html&v=1&out=http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/hdm_oem/hdmc.asp&ref=http://www.roadglide.org/29-do-yourself/&title=Harley Manuals - Road Glide Forums&txt=http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....m_oem/hdmc.asp

$189 each from Ronnies HD. You can also hit up Jon (Pc Pain) at Horny Toad HD on this forum for his pricing. Since you front brakes are your primary stopping power in an emergency, I wouldn't advise dicking around with trying to rebuild them just to save a few bucks. As an OR nurse, I see the results of catastrophic self help failures every day!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just incase you're wondering why you are having such a hard time finding replacement parts for the brembo brakes on your 13 glide, IT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT REBUILDABLE! That's pretty much spelled out in the service manual and on most forums as well. Sorry, them's the breaks, pun intended. If you were able to rebuild them you still need to take the bike into the shop to have the brakes bled if it's abs, You cannot bleed them manually with ABS something about the distribution block.

Brakes can be bleed. Had to replace abs mod on mine and drained the system during the process. Used vacuum around 15psi. Worked like a charm. Took a bottle of fluid to get all the air out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Harley says they aren't rebuildable because they don't want to sell the parts or deal with the liability. They would rather you spend the $300 dollars for a new caliper. The aftermarket kit I purchased fit perfectly. Calipers are not rocket science and Brembo didn't redesign a whole new special caliper system just for Harley. As far as bleeding, do some research and you will see it is possible as long as you don't get air in the ABS system. If you do, then yes, it has to go into the dealership so they can hook it up to their computer and charge you a fortune.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
as you don't get air in the ABS system. If you do, then yes, it has to go into the dealership so they can hook it up to their computer and charge you a fortune.
I don't know about fortune.... I just had my clutch, front brake and rear brake all flushed/refilled/bled at the shop. including fluid, shop supplies, etc. $175. I can spring for that every 2 years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know about fortune.... I just had my clutch, front brake and rear brake all flushed/refilled/bled at the shop. including fluid, shop supplies, etc. $175. I can spring for that every 2 years.
The dealership in my neck of the woods wanted $30 dollars just to balance my front tire that I brought in to them. Local Indy shop did it for free. I have zero love for the Harley stealership here. I am unfortunately unable to ride for the next week or so. When I do finally get my bike out, I will take it out and see how she goes. I will keep you all posted on the results.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Done

I let the bike sit for a few days and rode 180 miles. Brakes weren't as solid as I would like. I placed a rubber band around the brake lever and grip for about 8 hours (a friend did this on his wife's bike). Worked like a charm. Brakes are solid, no leaking and everything is functioning properly. For those of you who think the brake calipers are non-rebuildable (because Harley said so), they are rebuildable. Harley won't do it because they want you to spend the money on buying brand new ones. This fix cost me $65. $50 for the rebuild kit from Cycle Pro and $15 for the brake fluid. If you don't have vacuum pump to bleed the brakes, then you can pick one up for about $35 on Amazon or do it the old school way. Hopefully someone else will find this useful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts