Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I have the manual, looked online at various videos, and now must ask the question. Do I have to remove the inner primary to replace the stator on the 2013 Road Glide Custom? Older models you didn't have to. It seems there is a lip that doesn't allow clearance to remove the rotor/compensator assy. Does Harley do this just to discourage do it yourself'ers?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Looking at older models, the lip isn't there and the wall thickness is thinner on them. I am a little apprehensive on grinding away on the primary. Thanks for the info.

Registered
It's just like 5 bolts to remove the inner. Just me, but i would not grind on the inner primary, it's to easy to remove it.

Registered
Do it! I just did this on my 12rgu. I used a dremel and barely removed any material, No issues. I was also able to change stator without removing clutch assembly.

Registered
Do I have to totally dismantle the clutch assy or will it remove as one unit?
Undo and loosen the clutch adjustment nut and allen screw, pull the C clip and remove the adjuster part and there is a nut behind it, left hand thread to remove. It will slide out, if the chain is off.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Got to the bolt. Gotta run and get a 1 3/16th socket. After all the tools and part I bought, it might have been cheaper to have it done. Thanks for the advice. All because of a bad stator. Hope I never have to replace another one.

Registered
The 13 shows as having the same inner primary as my 10, and I pulled mine without pulling the primary or cutting anything. It took a bit of wiggling but it came out just fine ... albeit sideways IIRC.

Registered
Really? Looking at older models, the lip isn't there and the wall thickness is thinner on them. I am a little apprehensive on grinding away on the primary. Thanks for the info.
That lip is new as of 11 or 12, I believe. If you want to keep the inner on, you will have to grind to get the rotor out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I am going to go ahead and take the inner off. Be good practice for me. I will let you know how it goes. Looks like I am going to have to remove the starter as well.

Registered
Okay here's a question. I'm half way through same project. Pulled my clutch assembly off already. when I put it back on how do I know how to adjust the clutch screw correctly? (I'm assuming it's adjustable for a reason?)

Registered
Okay here's a question. I'm half way through same project. Pulled my clutch assembly off already. when I put it back on how do I know how to adjust the clutch screw correctly? (I'm assuming it's adjustable for a reason?)
The way i do mine is to loosen the clutch cable to where the clutch lever touches the grip, then screw the allen head bolt on the clutch in till it just starts to engage, or when you just start to feel engagement, then back off the allen screw 1/2 a turn and lock the nut down there. Do the rest of the clutch adjustment at the clutch cable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts