Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll apologize now if this has been beaten to death already. I'm doing my winter mods and haven't had a lot of time to search for an answer.

I'm going to be installing my RF PBR300X4 amp and I'll be adding some new speakers in the fairing. I'm looking for some decent quality speakers that won't break the bank. Maybe a couple hundred bucks at most.

I am also wondering if I'll need adapter rings for these speakers?

I had Rockford 6.5" in my fairing on my Streetglide and they SUCKED! They were just louder, not any clearer. I was not impressed. Looking for something better this time around.

·
Registered
209 Posts
no offense but if you had that PBR300x4 in there on your older bike, it might just have been your problem.

If you're only running 2 speakers and you can choose a different amp, I'd go with the PBR300x2 and the Kappa 62.11i speakers. And if you have a pre-15 RG then yes you'll need the adapter rings.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a particular manufacturer of the adapter ring or company that's better to order from? The last rings I had were from Eastern Performance and they went in a batwing fairing. Not sure if they are all they same. I'm kind of assuming so but I'm by no means a stereo guru!

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
Is there a particular manufacturer of the adapter ring or company that's better to order from? The last rings I had were from Eastern Performance and they went in a batwing fairing. Not sure if they are all they same. I'm kind of assuming so but I'm by no means a stereo guru!
Hawg Wired got the best adapter rings. The 6.5 adapter rings that fit a EG will be the same for a RG. Some rings with some speakers will cause outer fairing fitment problems on the RG tho.

·
Registered
209 Posts
the only one's I use are the Arc Audio adapter rings. Never had fitment issues with any speaker or any fairing with these. They're a little pricier than some of the cheaper knock-offs but they work well. I've had fitment issues as well as many others with the Scosche and other cheaper fleabay adapters so beware. Anyone bringing a bike to me for install knows ahead of time to order and bring AA adapters with them.

Have to admit though haven't ever tried the HW adapters. They look nicely made as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no offense but if you had that PBR300x4 in there on your older bike, it might just have been your problem.

If you're only running 2 speakers and you can choose a different amp, I'd go with the PBR300x2 and the Kappa 62.11i speakers. And if you have a pre-15 RG then yes you'll need the adapter rings.

Please keep in mind, i know VERY LITTLE about audio equipment but why cant I run the PBR300x4 amp with only 2 speakers?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Please keep in mind, i know VERY LITTLE about audio equipment but why cant I run the PBR300x4 amp with only 2 speakers?
oh you can run it fine with 2 speakers, just make sure you're using 4 ohm speakers. I just recommended the 300x2 because it's quite a bit more powerful than it's 4 channel counterpart.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad I asked! I was just about ready to purchase a pair of Kappa 62.11i speakers which I believe are 2 ohm. I'll have to search for some nice 4 ohm speakers.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts