Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many have ridden a 2014 ultra or SG or a new 2015 RG? From a friend's experience last Saturday what is written by the editors in Motorcycle magazines is very true.

Our pre 2014 RG front ends are the weak part of our bikes. I don't mean just the inner fork springs.

The new tree and 49mm forks are a Huge improvement in stability.

Anyone have any comments or experiences?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Yes, I rode over 600 miles on a 2014 EG Ultra when they came out and the suspension is one of the biggest improvements made from previous years. I was very impressed with how the bike rode, cornered and braked compared to my 2012 RGU. The 2015s incorporate the same suspension and braking components...all part of Project Rushmore.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
the improvement is 49mm forks have less flex plus the way the triple trees clamp onto the forks is an improvement against them twisting , the internals are the same junk as they have been using , on my 11 FLTRX I installed Motorcyclemetal's 49mm triple trees for 2013 an older bikes which is much better built than the new triple trees , then I installed 2014 49mm forks with Ohlins 30mm fully adjustable cartridges inside , believe me the 2014/2015 front ends are not even close to this set up

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tj316, all that sounds great! You have transformed your front end.

I spoke to Rick at CCE today and so much of the improvement on the 2014 is the triple tree. It is junk on our earlier bikes. Why they couldn't finish the job in 2009 is beyond me.

I am looking to do the Progressive inners and the CCE tree. This will be huge improvement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
TJ316 - I just got the Ohlins #6 shocks from Howard on my bike and need to start adjustments. Did you ride yours for the 500 miles before making adjustments or start right away? I had Progressive 944's and at 190 weight I just couldn't get the ride I wanted. I still have Progressive monotubes in front and hopefully plan to switch over to Howard's set up this winter as they become available. Is your front end his new set up or did you do this yourself?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
TJ316 - I just got the Ohlins #6 shocks from Howard on my bike and need to start adjustments. Did you ride yours for the 500 miles before making adjustments or start right away? I had Progressive 944's and at 190 weight I just couldn't get the ride I wanted. I still have Progressive monotubes in front and hopefully plan to switch over to Howard's set up this winter as they become available. Is your front end his new set up or did you do this yourself?
'I'm running Howard's front end , I set my sag on my bike to the recommended sag , put the compression and damping at the recommended starting points and rode it before doing any more adjustments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts