Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! It's been a while since I've been on... But it's been for good reasons. I have finally upgraded to a new RG!

I have a couple questions:

I want to change out the standard stereo for the Boom Nav unit. Is the stereo easily removed without removing the complete fairing? I see you can access the top just by removing the windscreen... But didn't want to yank the fairing off if I don't have to.

Also, since this stereo is actually coming off a new bike, it should be flashed with the previous bikes info... So it should work by simply plugging it in, not needing to be flashed. I know if I want to change up and maybe add speakers, I would possibly need a flash... Just looking to confirm it won't need to be flashed purely because it's going onto another bike.

Any help you could offer would be great!

Thanks in advance ?

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Hello all! It's been a while since I've been on... But it's been for good reasons. I have finally upgraded to a new RG!

I have a couple questions:

I want to change out the standard stereo for the Boom Nav unit. Is the stereo easily removed without removing the complete fairing? I see you can access the top just by removing the windscreen... But didn't want to yank the fairing off if I don't have to.

Also, since this stereo is actually coming off a new bike, it should be flashed with the previous bikes info... So it should work by simply plugging it in, not needing to be flashed. I know if I want to change up and maybe add speakers, I would possibly need a flash... Just looking to confirm it won't need to be flashed purely because it's going onto another bike.

Any help you could offer would be great!

Thanks in advance ��
You will have to remove the fairing to get to the radio. On the 15/16 RG that is very easy to do with basic hand tools. Not sure which bike the new radio is coming from, but I believe you should be good to go without a flash (others on here may know more than I on that).

I believe there is a post on here on removing the fairing, just do a search. Also, here is a link on how to do that from YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvwSsWefj9A

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will have to remove the fairing to get to the radio. On the 15/16 RG that is very easy to do with basic hand tools. Not sure which bike the new radio is coming from, but I believe you should be good to go without a flash (others on here may know more than I on that).

I believe there is a post on here on removing the fairing, just do a search. Also, here is a link on how to do that from YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvwSsWefj9A
Awesome, thanks! I saw a vid earlier today, they just didn't discuss the radio removal... Which is exactly what I needed to know. LOL!

The stereo was removed from a SGS, so I shouldn't have compatibility issues right off the bat. If I want to upgrade to more speakers, a flash will be needed... This is just like the previous HK tuners, what a way to make some cash...right?

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Awesome, thanks! I saw a vid earlier today, they just didn't discuss the radio removal... Which is exactly what I needed to know. LOL!

The stereo was removed from a SGS, so I shouldn't have compatibility issues right off the bat. If I want to upgrade to more speakers, a flash will be needed... This is just like the previous HK tuners, what a way to make some cash...right?
I may be missing what you are looking for, but once your fairing is off the radio is easy to remove. It is easy to see how HD has it bolted on and all the wiring plugs are easy to get too on the back of the radio. I have had mine out to add an amp and it took longer to remove the fairing than it did to remove the radio.

The only thing would be going from a standard radio to the upgraded radio w/navigation. That would require a nav antenna, not sure about the wiring between the standard radio and the one with nav. I assume the mounting and opening are the same size on the fairing.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Sorry, just thought of another thing, not sure if the standard RG comes with all the controls that a RGS would have to operate the navi radio, which would include the wiring in the handle bars to the handle bar switch pack on each side.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have radio controls on both sides...operates the standard radio already. And the GPS antenna is included as well.. My understanding is it's a direct swap. I hope I'm right on this. Hehe

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
The best thing to do instead of spending the big bucks for the Info system is go with a big screen radio after market. Better GPS, better sound, still uses the controls on your bike and much better radio for a lot less money. There was a thread on some site that showed a really cool radio at least than half the price.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might look into that, but I'm getting a screaming deal on the OEM unit.

Something to mull over though....

·
Registered
408 Posts
Currently you have no waterproof double din options. You can get single din but not with gps that are waterproof.

The stock unit gets a lot of flack but just as a fyi, the system that just won the audio shootout at Dayton has a stock 6.5 as a head unit :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 15 and installed the Special Boom system in my standard bike. Haven't really used the GPS yet but the stereo works great. We upgraded to an amp & Arc moto speakers and what an improvement. Loud & clear @ 70-80 miles per hour.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just swapped out the 4.3 radio for a 6.5. Pretty screamin' deal here too.

The fairing is very easy to remove. Four windshield screws, lift the top dash off, two turn signal bolts, four deflector screws, pop the speaker grills off, remove the two torx screws, disconnect the turn signals (connectors are right at the top on the left and right) and the fairing lifts right off.

You'll re-use the black bracket on top of the stock radio. That's what the dash top clips on to. The radio is held in with four allen head screws. Disconnect the large harness, usb and antenna first. After that, it'll lift right out.

If your new radio didn't come with the GPS antenna, you'll need to grab one. About $60 from HD. If the new radio came from an SG, you'll be fine, firmware-wise. You only need the dealer flash if it came from something with a four speaker set up. You'll know when you turn it on. If it needs a flash you'll get a series of three beeps every 5 seconds. (mine needed the dealer flash - you can't do this one yourself)

Otherwise, just download and install the latest software, and you're good to go!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 15 and installed the Special Boom system in my standard bike. Haven't really used the GPS yet but the stereo works great. We upgraded to an amp & Arc moto speakers and what an improvement. Loud & clear @ 70-80 miles per hour.
The only upgrade I'm really going to focus on this time around is the stereo. Glad to hear the head unit does work well, amps to come in the future for me!

Currently you have no waterproof double din options. You can get single din but not with gps that are waterproof.

The stock unit gets a lot of flack but just as a fyi, the system that just won the audio shootout at Dayton has a stock 6.5 as a head unit :)
I have read about the complaints when they first came out... Was hoping as the firmware updates, they will work out the bugs and make them function with some quality for once. Good to know even the pros are keeping the OEM head units for the main controller.

I just swapped out the 4.3 radio for a 6.5. Pretty screamin' deal here too.

The fairing is very easy to remove. Four windshield screws, lift the top dash off, two turn signal bolts, four deflector screws, pop the speaker grills off, remove the two torx screws, disconnect the turn signals (connectors are right at the top on the left and right) and the fairing lifts right off.

You'll re-use the black bracket on top of the stock radio. That's what the dash top clips on to. The radio is held in with four allen head screws. Disconnect the large harness, usb and antenna first. After that, it'll lift right out.

If your new radio didn't come with the GPS antenna, you'll need to grab one. About $60 from HD. If the new radio came from an SG, you'll be fine, firmware-wise. You only need the dealer flash if it came from something with a four speaker set up. You'll know when you turn it on. If it needs a flash you'll get a series of three beeps every 5 seconds. (mine needed the dealer flash - you can't do this one yourself)

Otherwise, just download and install the latest software, and you're good to go!
Luckily this one came with everything needed(GPS Antenna and USB cord), minus the mounting hardware that the stereo I'm removing will have.

It's like brand new, removed on the 2nd day of ownership, so they could install a $9,000.00 stereo system. I will follow your directions and hopefully get this thing installed tomorrow morning. I will update with pics when I'm all done! With all the positive feedback so far, this was a solid purchase... For sure!

Thanks everyone for the replies. :grin:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So... Got this done today along with my Hells Foundry Fairing Support Eliminators.

Both were simple installs that made a real difference to me. Much cleaner, plus the Boom display is much nicer than the base radio. She streams my SAT radio nicely!

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
I like the look of eliminating the crash bar but, after a little "topple over" in a parking garage in Daytona (no damage to anything but my ego), I think I'll hang on to them for the time being.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the look of eliminating the crash bar but, after a little "topple over" in a parking garage in Daytona (no damage to anything but my ego), I think I'll hang on to them for the time being.
I don't plan on removing the crash bar, just not a fan of the visible support that attaches to the crash bar. I think if it were to topple over, it has a better chance of doing more damage when the crash bar pushes up into the fairing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts