Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping some of y'all might be able to give me some pointers and ideas. I love the Amber Whiskey color but am at a loss as to what other colors I can use along with this. I want to do two things here:
Firstly, get my helmets painted to a color that either blends well with Amber whiskey or is a nice contrast. Folks around town have suggested using a slightly darker and metallic shade of blue.
Secondly I want to paint all the chrome parts. I think I am going to go with a shade of gunmetal or translucent grayish black ...

Thoughts, suggestions??

GD

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went gloss black on every piece of chrome that was on the bike. I would not paint them, powder coat is the way you want to go. Its a harder finish and you can put a clear coat on after that makes it extremely resilient to chips etc. I think that there is a guy on this forum that does powder coating.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's my opinion that black would be your only option for a second color unless you paint the iner fairing and console as well. Otherwise you'll end up wth three colors which wouldn't be good unless the third color was pinstriping, graphics, or some sort of small detail. The iner fairing being a large body part, maybe should be painted Amber Whiskey to match the rest. At that point I think you would have more options going forward with other colors. I think a rust color (orangish/brown) would flow well with the Amber Whiskey. That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went gloss black on every piece of chrome that was on the bike. I would not paint them, powder coat is the way you want to go. Its a harder finish and you can put a clear coat on after that makes it extremely resilient to chips etc. I think that there is a guy on this forum that does powder coating.
A buddy of mine who does powder coating mentioned that all the chrome pieces would look good in translucent black. Different that gloss black but a really nice color. I saw a cpl wheels that he had done in those and really like that look!!:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's my opinion that black would be your only option for a second color unless you paint the iner fairing and console as well. Otherwise you'll end up wth three colors which wouldn't be good unless the third color was pinstriping, graphics, or some sort of small detail. The iner fairing being a large body part, maybe should be painted Amber Whiskey to match the rest. At that point I think you would have more options going forward with other colors. I think a rust color (orangish/brown) would flow well with the Amber Whiskey. That's just my opinion though.
I have thought about painting the inner fairing amber whiskey but my fear is that, this being a bright color as it is, there might be just too much color in that area and the tank will also be adding its 0.02$ to the picture also.

Maybe I'll ask my buddy to photoshop it for me so I can see what it may possibly look like ...

·
Registered
562 Posts
I like your idea of translucent black over chrome parts. Accent colors for paint a darker amber color like House of Kolor rootbeer kandy would coordinate. It's translucent and would make the amber darker. Available in 2k urethane or kandy concentrate which can be used like a basecoat. Any two tone adjacent shapes could be lightly airbrushed with black to resemble your translucent black chrome parts. The area next to a pinstripe border. I'm sure PPG has a rootbeer candy too, I'm more familiar with HoK colors.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/speedshapes/speedshapes_urethanes.jsp

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like your idea of translucent black over chrome parts. Accent colors for paint a darker amber color like House of Kolor rootbeer kandy would coordinate. It's translucent and would make the amber darker. Available in 2k urethane or kandy concentrate which can be used like a basecoat. Any two tone adjacent shapes could be lightly airbrushed with black to resemble your translucent black chrome parts. The area next to a pinstripe border. I'm sure PPG has a rootbeer candy too, I'm more familiar with HoK colors.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/speedshapes/speedshapes_urethanes.jsp
Hmmm, I like the idea of the lighter and darker color contrasts ... the root beer color looks nice. Guess my buddy has his work cut out for him over the next few weeks :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm going to color match some of the parts then add on come contrast cut parts with some black body parts.

I'm thinking about color matching bars, engine guard, and maybe floorboards. Hen whenever I get my rear fender and extended bags I'll break up the AW with a small design. Just what I'm thinking...

·
Registered
634 Posts
harley has a color-dark candy root-this would look awesome with whiskey with one change-do a gloss,non metallic with the whiskey-that would give a hue in same family.you could use the root beer color for pinstripes-use non mettalic for stripes-1-shot or house of color for stripes-a good pinstripper will mix colors to get right tone-good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmm, the dark-candy color does look pretty good. Definitely something to keep in mind.

I have been looking at some shades of blue also, like this one below, but am not sure if adding too many different colors to the pinstriping will start to detract from the overall picture ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts