Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off I have used the search for this question and have found the answers get very detailed and I get lost in all the info. I am just looking for a good amp for my 15 special. nothing crazy. I have already changed my speaker and notice pretty much no difference. The new ones I installed are supposed to be good for 150 watts.

I have checked with Harley and see they have a amp kit for 750.00 before install and I have also seen that J&M audio has a amp as well for 750 by the time i get it in my hands.

My question is this? is there a cheaper amp that will do the same that just plugs in or install with little work. I know a little about stereo install etc but i am by far from a pro. Just seems to me that there has to a cheaper option than 750 dollars.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Go with the Rockford fosgate PBR300x2 its a great amp. Buy the mounting bracket and wiring kit and you will spend around $200 or just a little bit more.

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
Check out Hawgwired or VTwin Audio also. And if you're on Facebook, go to Harley Bagger Stereo and check some of the information there, $750 is definitely too much for just an amp.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
The Sound Stream Nano amps are decent amps also and class D. They run very cool & are very efficient. You'll also be at about 2 bills for everything.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here's a couple of a RF T400X2ad in mine

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont have mine apart yet so not sure i understand. However am i right in saying that you bolted the amp to a plate and than to the radio bracket?

·
Registered
90 Posts
i dont have mine apart yet so not sure i understand. However am i right in saying that you bolted the amp to a plate and than to the radio bracket?
Yes that is correct.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I'm looking for info on installing a amp (in fairing) to the stock head unit of a 15 RGS that I can run 4 speakers. Also is there a special harness/jack needed to connect a amp to the headunit? Thx.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking for info on installing a amp (in fairing) to the stock head unit of a 15 RGS that I can run 4 speakers. Also is there a special harness/jack needed to connect a amp to the headunit? Thx.
I would also like to know. Please guys, let us know how to do it. i have RF300x4 amp that i would like to install on my RD 15.......Thanks!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
OK I have read a bunch of threads here and have yet to see someone ask this question. (I know someone will find a thread and go "see its right here" but thought I would just ask and be done with it.)

I have a 15 special, factory 5 1/4 junk speakers and the 6.5" head unit.

A few questions.

1. Does the factory HU have RCA outs or am I being forced to use line level outs?

2. When upgrading to 6.5" speakers (I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Kappas) do I need an adapter? If yes is there one that is better/easier to install than another or are they basically all the same?

3. I am probably going to add lid speakers over the winter (yes I'm going with a 4 channel amp so I wont have to add another one later) the question is do I have to go with marine grade speakers in the lids or will the Kappas (or whatever I decide to go with) be ok in the elements? I really dont want to have to worry when it rains or when I wash the girl, about ruining the speakers.

4. Lastly is there really a huge difference between the Soundstream 520d and the 1000d? They are real close in price and I believe size is not a factor in the fairing. Part of me says go big or go home and the other part is saying why get the bigger one if you dont really need it. (wow I'm starting to get old!).

Thanks in advance guys.

Mike

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
OK I have read a bunch of threads here and have yet to see someone ask this question. (I know someone will find a thread and go "see its right here" but thought I would just ask and be done with it.)

A few questions.

1. Does the factory HU have RCA outs or am I being forced to use line level outs?

2. When upgrading to 6.5" speakers (I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Kappas) do I need an adapter? If yes is there one that is better/easier to install than another or are they basically all the same?

3. I am probably going to add lid speakers over the winter (yes I'm going with a 4 channel amp so I wont have to add another one later) the question is do I have to go with marine grade speakers in the lids or will the Kappas (or whatever I decide to go with) be ok in the elements? I really dont want to have to worry when it rains or when I wash the girl, about ruining the speakers.

4. Lastly is there really a huge difference between the Soundstream 520d and the 1000d? They are real close in price and I believe size is not a factor in the fairing. Part of me says go big or go home and the other part is saying why get the bigger one if you dont really need it. (wow I'm starting to get old!).

Thanks in advance guys.

Mike
I don't believe there's room for the SS 520 D in the 15's fairing. It has a good size foot print. Check the dimensions before ordering one.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

A few questions.

Thanks in advance guys.

Mike
I can answer questions #2 and #3

You don't need an adapter to change out the 5.25" speakers for most 6.5" speakers. The mounting holes in the speaker pods are already designed to fit 6.5" speakers. Another HD grab for your pocket book. The standard 5.25" speaker ring is actually the same diameter as most 6.5" speaker rings. Of course HD wants you to buy the 6.5" Boom Box speakers but most any 6.5" speaker will fit as long as the magnet isn't too enormous and the tweeter dome doesn't sit too high to cause interference with the stock grill. There are plenty of confirmed fits for 6.5" aftermarket speakers here in the forums. JBL GT0638, Polk MM651 and Infinity Kappa's are among some that have confirmed to fit in the enclosure. There are also speaker options from J&M, Hogtunes etc. if you prefer to go that route.

As long as the speakers you choose don't have paper cones they will withstand some moisture. Even a marine speaker can be destroyed if you decide you want to douse it repeatedly. I opted for the pocket book friendly JBL GT0638 and my bike has been washed and rained on without much thought to the speakers - and to this point they still work fine. I wouldn't recommend speaker "cleaning" with a power wash though :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Jl makes a nice amp.hx280x4 can be had for 200.00 audio sounds magic box line leveler 69.00 bike tonics titan II 6.5 coaxle (thay are hybrid audio imagine series water proof speakers) 200.00 and 80.00 for a good 8 gauge amp install kit. You will have too cut two 1"x2" holes in the inner fering were the magnets hit.I did this install last week,I bridged the amp.=140 watts per channle.sounds amazing! between JL audio and biketronics tech line I tuned the system nice.couldnot be happier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts