Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done or know where to find a bar swap write up? I did bars on my 09 SG and it was not too bad but I am doing the new RG this week and would like to make sure I have a good idea what the differences are. I bought 12's so I am not swapping ABS of clutch lines. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I read on here somewhere that you can pull the speedo housing without taking the ignition out. Any truth to that, does that chrome trim piece around the ignition come off easily?

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
I thought I read on here somewhere that you can pull the speedo housing without taking the ignition out. Any truth to that, does that chrome trim piece around the ignition come off easily?
I know the CVO is like that. I can't confirm with the non CVO models.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just finishing my bar swap. Haven't had time to do a write-up, but have a lot of information for you if you're interested in calling me. Let me know and I'll send you my phone number.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
I had mine off without taking the switch out. Turned my forks to the left and put the switch to lock, removed the little plastic/chrome part under the switch It lifts up on the back side(towards the tank and slides out towards the tank). Moved the switch to the off position, put my bike in my stand to hold it up right, removed the screws holding the housing on, put the switch back to the lock position and maneuvered the housing opening around the switch.

I did this to find a loose connection on my digital gauges that had stopped working. It does make it easier to have the switch out, but I took my time maneuvering the housing around the switch. This was on a 15 RGS

·
Registered
196 Posts
Like FLTRXS15 said yes it can be done and really pretty easy. Pop up the chrome trip piece, remove the two screws from the speedo housing maneuver switch and housing as required and slides right over the switch. Unhook the 3 wires to the speedo housing and done. Really is a lot easier than removing the switch and fighting to get it back in. Not that I would know. :rolleyes: LOL.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Good info. I should be changing my bars in the next week or so.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advise and responses, I decided to stop asking questions on here and just jump in and do it. In a whopping 2.5 hours, taking my time, they are wired and on the bike. A HELL of a lot easier that my Street Glide was. I still have to finish up some little stuff like put the speedo cluster back on, change my levers, not to mention my grips are not here yet. Thats the easy stuff so I would say the bulk of it is done. Buying 1.5 inch bars makes a world of difference when you run the wires. I just took my time and pretty much shot them straight through.

·
Administrator
2,714 Posts
Dammit! that does it. I'll be doing the bars on my adopted batwing in the next few weeks! Who's making 1 1/2 bars ?

D.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought mine from BR's Custom Bars in NY. Their bars are incredible quality but I will tell you it took me almost 10 weeks to get them. I can say its worth the wait now that I have them in my hands.

The only thing I did not do was change the riser bushings, it was getting late and I am getting lazy so I figure I can do them another time if I feel like they need to be done.

Does anyone know the torque spec for the riser bolts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts