Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any ideas on aftermarket windscreens availalble for 2015? By the way the dreaded well nuts are gone. Prayers are apparently answered.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
I'm sure with the MoCo being tight lipped about the release of the 15 RG I'd imagine it's gonna take a lil bit for the aftermarket to play catch up

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just put the 12" wind splitter on mine today at the dealer after riding a day without it. Big difference for me but I agree not the best looking one out there and only comes in light smoke and clear and not tinted darker like I'd want.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah....I would like to see if Madstad is up for a custom job.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Just stopped by their shop the other day. They are getting ready to move into a larger building so production for everything may be down for a couple of weeks once they start moving. However they are going to work on getting a shield out for the 15's. :D

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I rode a 2015 yesterday and noticed the new vent has little to no effect on the turbulence. The new Roadie will attract a $hitload of new buyers coming from the batwing world. MadStad will have a great customer base.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I emailed Windvest yesterday and asked if/when they were going to make shields for the new RG 2015's. Hope to get an answer on Tuesday.

regards,

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the heads up Ken.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would not be surprised if it took the aftermarket up to two years to catch up. I think a lot of research will need to be done because of the new venting systems, that it would be wise to develop their products.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I rode a 2015 yesterday and noticed the new vent has little to no effect on the turbulence. The new Roadie will attract a $hitload of new buyers coming from the batwing world. MadStad will have a great customer base.

Has anyone else had the same experience as Shrug, "the new vent has little to no effect on the turbulence"? Is the new vent just marketing hype?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I did not really feel any difference with them closed or open. I did think the special was way better stock than my 2012 with that thumbnail shield. I did enjoy the CFO ultra like old nerd guy said. It was a calm cool ride. I just have to wait for a sugar momma to come along, but don't tell my wife!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Quite a testament to the MOCO that they would drop the RG for a model year in order to develop a new fairing design which incorporates a triple vent system, a "Sanchos Wing" style deflector on the fairing and a new windshield attachment system only to have riders wonder when the MOCO or aftermarket companies will offer a better windshield. There must have been some serious wind tunnel testing before releasing the new RG for sure!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quite a testament to the MOCO that they would drop the RG for a model year in order to develop a new fairing design which incorporates a triple vent system, a "Sanchos Wing" style deflector on the fairing and a new windshield attachment system only to have riders wonder when the MOCO or aftermarket companies will offer a better windshield. There must have been some serious wind tunnel testing before releasing the new RG for sure!:rolleyes:
I'm 6' tall with a 34" inseam. On the stock seat the wind from the short RGS shield hits me starting at chin level and up. At speeds above 45 mph the wind noise interfers with listening to the radio.

So my take is wind tunnel testing was conducted with a 5' 6" (and shorter) rider in mind. :)

regards,

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I'm 6' tall with a 34" inseam. On the stock seat the wind from the short RGS shield hits me starting at chin level and up. At speeds above 45 mph the wind noise interfers with listening to the radio.

So my take is wind tunnel testing was conducted with a 5' 6" (and shorter) rider in mind. :)

regards,
I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam...the stock shield, vents and all, is beyond worthless! I'm sure it is a different effect with the taller screen on the CVO Ultra. Surely, the MOCO will be introducing an Ultra or Limited RG at some point! "I'm sure they will....and don't call me Shirley!";)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I had a different experience. I felt like the vents did do what they were designed to do. The shield is too short for most people and especially if you like to listen to the radio but the air that you get is smooth and without the buffeting. I closed all the vents and it had a small amount of buffeting but with them open there was absolutely none. Like others have said; it will be a better test with a taller shield. You may not need a Madstad with this bike but I bet it would be awesome with one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put a 12" wind splitter on mine the next day,then I could feel the vents.The 2 on the side do me a lot of good putting cool air on my chest.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Has anyone else had the same experience as Shrug, "the new vent has little to no effect on the turbulence"? Is the new vent just marketing hype?
To clarify, the headlight bezel vents do make a noticeable difference. I just didn't feel any difference with the upper vent open or closed. I didn't mess with the stereo at all. I was comparing the "helmet thunder" wind noise.

I'm no aeronautics expert (I'll leave that to Mark Stadnyk), but I suspect the vent on the bat wing is more effective because that fairing is far less aerodynamic than the shark nose. The Road Glide's chief benefit (fixed fairing) is also its Achilles heel in terms of turbulence.

I believe the Moco is well aware that most users will dump the stock screen and is chiefly unconcerned.

I stand by my original sentiment that the new Roadie is awesome and that I want one. I can afford it; I just can't make financial sense of it.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts