Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my CVO back in June I ordered the engine kit for it at the same time and had hope to be riding the bike out to SX IX with the 117" kit but due to it being backordered that didn't happen. As I was leaving SW and was stopping for lunch I got a phone call from the dealership telling me that all the parts were finally here and that I could bring the bike in. But the soonest available date was 28 Aug. But I didn't want to miss out on being able to ride over the long weekend so I scheduled it for 4 Sept.

Well the time is almost here. After my VA appointment on Wednesday morning I'll be dropping the bike off that afternoon at the dealership to get the 117" kit installed along with the new exhaust then hopefully will be picking it up Saturday afternoon. Then when I get back home next week I'll have some Custom Dynamics lights to install. UPS doesn't deliver in my area until late in the afternoon and I have a doctors appointment Tuesday afternoon so by the time I get home it'll be to late to try and get stuff done.

Can't wait to see what the bike is like after the engine kit is installed. I know it isn't going to be GREAT until I do some other work to it but I'm still lookin forward to having it on the bike. I doubt I'll get any of the other engine work done this coming winter but I am planning on yankin the heads off next winter to have head work done and maybe even have the jugs cut down to bring me to a 10.5-8 compression ratio. I don't know if the HD dealer that is doing the install has a dyno or not. If not then before next winter I'll take it to a shop that I know does and have them get some numbers so I have something to compare it with.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Sounds like a great set up, make sure to keep us posted with any updates.

Reactions: Wildman

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That 117" will be a lot of fun - I do recommend that you get it dyno tuned to truly unleash it's performance. Have your exhaust and breather in place prior to tuning
Well when I bought the bike I had also bought the ESP for it and the dealer I am dealing with is telling me that I HAVE to only use the SESPT to keep my ESP. I would have rather used a different tuner but I'll give it a go and see how it does. Since I was already spending the money I also have the auto tune module being installed. I'm hoping having the wide band O2's will at least help a little. I'll run this setup for a season and if I don't like it I'll cancel my ESP and get one of the aftermarket tuners.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I don't know anything about the tuner you have, but I wouldn't even ride it until it was professionally tuned. You spent a crap load of money on the motor, top it off with a great tune.
The ESP though.....

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know anything about the tuner you have, but I wouldn't even ride it until it was professionally tuned. You spent a crap load of money on the motor, top it off with a great tune.
The ESP though.....
From my understanding and I could be incorrect on this, with the HD Screaming Eagle Street Performance Tuner they have canned tunes that are loaded on it depending on the modifications done. Then using the Auto Tune module helps it to adjust the tune as much as possible within EPA specifications.

I'll have to check and see if the shop has a dyno or not.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Just guessing here that the tuner will stay within EPA regulations?? If that's the case it will be lean.
If that's what you have to do to keep the warranty then it is what it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 117 is a different beast to the 110. The 259E cam produces a noticeable difference, but it sadly isn't spectacular until about 3800 rpm. It's a pretty late cam really, but it does give a considerable amount of pull.

A stock 110 will give you quite a scare off the line due to the 255 cam in it, but you'll reel it in with the rpm.

There's a tonne of info on 110/117 builds and cam choices, so you aren't limited to the stock cam choice if it doesn't impress you.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just guessing here that the tuner will stay within EPA regulations?? If that's the case it will be lean.
If that's what you have to do to keep the warranty then it is what it is.
Yes it has to stay within EPA guidelines. So yes it will run lean compare to an aftermarket tuner but with the auto tuner and wide band O2 sensors it'll be better than just the SESPT. I realize it isn't the best choice but yes according to the dealer who is doing the work I have to use the HD tuner to keep the ESP.

The 117 is a different beast to the 110. The 259E cam produces a noticeable difference, but it sadly isn't spectacular until about 3800 rpm. It's a pretty late cam really, but it does give a considerable amount of pull.

A stock 110 will give you quite a scare off the line due to the 255 cam in it, but you'll reel it in with the rpm.

There's a tonne of info on 110/117 builds and cam choices, so you aren't limited to the stock cam choice if it doesn't impress you.
From all the threads I have read on the 117" with the SE259 the BIGGEST issue is the fact that it doesn't have enough compression. The 259 cam likes the compression ratio to be in the higher 10's which is why I'll get the jugs trimmed to bump it up to 10.5-8:1 compression. But I want to get some miles on the stock kit first so that if anything was done improperly it'll be covered. When I tare the engine in the winter of 2020 I'll see what I think of the 259 cam after it has some good compression. If I am still not happy with it then I'll look at a torque cam as I am not interested in bragging rights about my dyno sheet but am more interested in a good rideable cam.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Your '15 falls outside of the "Mandated EPA Regulations" and am guessing your dealer is saying you have to run the Street Tuner as that's all they have experience with - The Pro Tuner is gone and many HD shops won't instal anything but the HD Street tuner as that is all they know - Its still a good set up and the #s are good but with a Stage 4, hoping you got a nice 2 into 1 exhaust and opened up that AC - I know the CVO has the "ventilator" AC on it now but if you are going stage 4, I would look at something better to get the most out of the build starting with a Pipe and Intake

Good Luck Man

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Can't imagine the anticipation! Looking forward to your review!!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the bike is at the dealer and they will be running it on the dyno. Can't wait to ride it when it's done.

I'm going with V&H Power Duals which is a 2-1-2 exhaust. They a/c is a larger unit for the bigger engine. It'll be interesting to see what kind of numbers it makes.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
More interesting then the numbers, is where the numbers are made. Hope it all works out for you

Reactions: madmat

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agreed, I'm not expecting great numbers from the 259 cam but we'll see.
Just got off the phone with the service manager and they are also will be doing a dyno breakin run with the bike. So I'll be able to go out and enjoy my new power right away.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your '15 falls outside of the "Mandated EPA Regulations" and am guessing your dealer is saying you have to run the Street Tuner as that's all they have experience with - The Pro Tuner is gone and many HD shops won't instal anything but the HD Street tuner as that is all they know - Its still a good set up and the #s are good but with a Stage 4, hoping you got a nice 2 into 1 exhaust and opened up that AC - I know the CVO has the "ventilator" AC on it now but if you are going stage 4, I would look at something better to get the most out of the build starting with a Pipe and Intake

Good Luck Man
I'm not trying to argue with you about this but am trying to understand.

Bikes as old as 2011 had emissions equipment on them. It's always been against federal law to tamper with emissions equipment. While many of us do this isn't what is the issue is here. The issue is if the ESP will be voided if any other tuner is used. The dealer I'm dealing with claims it will. I've heard from other people who say their dealer allowed them to use an aftermarket tuner. But what would happen if I'm on a trip and need it worked on? I'll run the SESPT for the next year and if I have no issues I will cancel the ESP when I do my head work.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
If they are breaking the motor in on the dyno, the best way to do it, any problems "Should" happen then. After that its a toss up if anything breaks, except for the world famous Harley lifters.
If you beat the snot out of it of course everything changes

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If they are breaking the motor in on the dyno, the best way to do it, any problems "Should" happen then. After that its a toss up if anything breaks, except for the world famous Harley lifters.
If you beat the snot out of it of course everything changes
Totally agree from everything I know and have read. Having them do the engine break in on the dyno takes some of the questions out. I'm not one to beat the snot out of it. But my riding season will be over by November if I'm lucky. So I won't get many miles on it before it's parked for the winter. Come spring I'll get some miles on it. Having a warranty for a year after the fact just makes me feel better.

Then as I said before I'm going to yank the head's and jugs next winter and have them port & polished and the jugs cut to bump my CR up to 10.5-8 to get the most out of the 259 cam.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I'm not trying to argue with you about this but am trying to understand.

Bikes as old as 2011 had emissions equipment on them. It's always been against federal law to tamper with emissions equipment. While many of us do this isn't what is the issue is here. The issue is if the ESP will be voided if any other tuner is used. The dealer I'm dealing with claims it will. I've heard from other people who say their dealer allowed them to use an aftermarket tuner. But what would happen if I'm on a trip and need it worked on? I'll run the SESPT for the next year and if I have no issues I will cancel the ESP when I do my head work.
Sounds like a "Harley ESP" Plan to me......many other choices that don't care what you run and for YEARS the MoCo would "turn a blind eye" if you removed the CAT and added a tuner and did all sorts of work.......if you had the "fix" done through them.....they are happy to get the $$ and would put to though as "Warranty Work" but with the EPA giving them the high hard one in 2016........the new M8 2017 Models came with a new approach to appease the EPA and keep the fines down......."All Harley, All the Time".......but it was only for the M8s

Sounds like a dealer issue to me amigo and them trying to steer you down their path.......many shops do it - I am a fan of what HD has done as even with "their stuff" on a bike, they #s are pretty impressive and they have gotten to where there is not a whole helluva lot of difference from the Pro Tuner and Street Tuner in the right hands - The street tuner does more than just "load maps" but your "fiddle points" are less than what the Pro Tuner offered.......think "22 adjustment vs 40 adjustments" and the missing 18 adjustments really only shine through when you go big.............from what I have been told - Others on here are WAY more knowledgeable than I but I tend to ask my shop and their Master Tech who build my stuff....a TON of questions and this is what I was told

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Sounds like a "Harley ESP" Plan to me.....
Even though Harley sells ESP they don’t have one, they are all underwritten by others companies, the good thing about ESP is once you are out of your standard Harley warranty many independent shops are certified by the companies that underwrite the plans and can now perform warranty work for you.

Reactions: SteadyEddie
1 - 20 of 43 Posts