Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 CVO Coolant pump is bad, throwing a code for a bad pump. I just got home from Daytona where I put 800 miles on the bike with the check engine light on as well as the coolant temp light. took it to Bruce R. HD in daytone and the tech told me needed a new coolant pump, they wanted 1100 bucks!!!! I told them no thanks and continued to ride it, it's an air cooled motor right. Does anyone know of a delete for that system? Does anyone know how to sequence thru the codes on the ecm? the tech showed me how to bring up the codes just not sequence thru them. and lastly, has anyone replaced the pump on their own with out paying harley 1100 bucks? Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
From my understanding you can’t go without the water coolant system. As a matter of fact, H-D now says you shouldn’t ride more than 50 miles if it’s out.
You could possibly have a cracked head.

There is a new pump for our bikes now. It’s better and a little cheaper as well. So if you put a new one on, be sure you get it. No sense in going back with one you know will go bad.

That dealer was a little high imo. I was on the road when mine went out and it was only about $800. Cost me only $50 since I had ESP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Before you shell out $$$ for a pump, replace the fuse for the cooling fan....even if it looks good.

I had the same idiot lights come on while on a trip to Utah last year and codes, though I don’t recall specifically which codes. As I recall, there is no code specific to the pump, but rather symptom codes that could indicate low coolant level, a bad pump, cooling fan, or both. I was 150 miles away from three dealers and the service advisor told me to try replacing the fuse. If that didn’t solve the problem, disconnect the leads to the pump (located under the chrome cover just behind the front tire) and ride it in. He said as long as air is flowing over the heads (e.g., no parade speed), no additional damage would be incurred.

Fortunately, the fuse did the trick. But I have no doubt that if I’d of traveled to any dealership, the pump would have been replaced immediately. I haven’t had a problem since, but now keep spare fuses in the tool bag!

P.S. I have your same year/model/color bike.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
From what I've read, BR in Daytona is not the place to get anything fixed that's coming out of your pocket, especially during Bike Week. I have the same bike only in the best color, mine went out back in '16 with only 14k on the engine. Factory warranty covered it. I haven't had an issue since. I carry ESP on the CVO for reasons such as this (well, that and that lifter thing too).

·
Registered
318 Posts
Did any of yalls bikes puke antifreeze during the issue?
Mine did.
Pump failure caused thermostat to go out as well (or vice versa).

No, coolant levels were the first thing I checked and they were fine.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
You shouldn't ride it without the coolant pump functioning. It "can" do damage to the heads.

Real world, over 30 in cool weather, it should be fine. But sitting in traffic would prolly not be advisable.

With that said, the upgraded pump kit is like $255. Put it on yourself or buy the kit and hand it off to an indy.

I've seen two scooters were the dealers billed for the old high dollar pump and the scooters have the new less expensive pump installed.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My 2015 CVO Coolant pump is bad, throwing a code for a bad pump. I just got home from Daytona where I put 800 miles on the bike with the check engine light on as well as the coolant temp light. took it to Bruce R. HD in daytone and the tech told me needed a new coolant pump, they wanted 1100 bucks!!!! I told them no thanks and continued to ride it, it's an air cooled motor right. Does anyone know of a delete for that system? Does anyone know how to sequence thru the codes on the ecm? the tech showed me how to bring up the codes just not sequence thru them. and lastly, has anyone replaced the pump on their own with out paying harley 1100 bucks? Thanks
Mach65, do a search on here, someone took their pump apart and soldered a couple of terminals, this fixed their pump. I’ll see if I can find this also, the repair looked fairly easy. Maybe someone else will chime in about this repair. flhman

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From my understanding you can’t go without the water coolant system. As a matter of fact, H-D now says you shouldn’t ride more than 50 miles if it’s out.
You could possibly have a cracked head.

There is a new pump for our bikes now. It’s better and a little cheaper as well. So if you put a new one on, be sure you get it. No sense in going back with one you know will go bad.

That dealer was a little high imo. I was on the road when mine went out and it was only about $800. Cost me only $50 since I had ESP.

Not sure how to tell if I cracked the head, but i rode the piss out of her all the way home yesterday and temps reached 91 degrees outside, she ran strong the entire 300 plus miles home, guess we will see....

Before you shell out $$$ for a pump, replace the fuse for the cooling fan....even if it looks good.

I had the same idiot lights come on while on a trip to Utah last year and codes, though I don’t recall specifically which codes. As I recall, there is no code specific to the pump, but rather symptom codes that could indicate low coolant level, a bad pump, cooling fan, or both. I was 150 miles away from three dealers and the service advisor told me to try replacing the fuse. If that didn’t solve the problem, disconnect the leads to the pump (located under the chrome cover just behind the front tire) and ride it in. He said as long as air is flowing over the heads (e.g., no parade speed), no additional damage would be incurred.

Fortunately, the fuse did the trick. But I have no doubt that if I’d of traveled to any dealership, the pump would have been replaced immediately. I haven’t had a problem since, but now keep spare fuses in the tool bag!

P.S. I have your same year/model/color bike.
You shouldn't ride it without the coolant pump functioning. It "can" do damage to the heads.

Real world, over 30 in cool weather, it should be fine. But sitting in traffic would prolly not be advisable.

With that said, the upgraded pump kit is like $255. Put it on yourself or buy the kit and hand it off to an indy.

I've seen two scooters were the dealers billed for the old high dollar pump and the scooters have the new less expensive pump installed.
Where can I get the new updated pump? I definitely gonna tear into it this weekend and see about repairing the original pump

Here is my thread on fixing the older pumps. Maybe you'll get lucky...

https://www.roadglide.org/201-fluids-lubricants/364819-water-pump-failure-repair-2016-rgu-lots-pics.html

But, the new pump system is only ~ $300, so find a different dealer to do the work if you can't. There is no "delete" kit for it, and if you read my thread you'll see you can't just keep riding without it...if you do your risking expensive damage.
I'll fix the old pump or replace it if I can't fix it, any idea how to clear the codes once the pump is repaired or replaced? Thanks everyone for all of your feed back!! I post again after I fix her........

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yeah, that’s the thread from KennyD that I couldn’t find, let us know if you go this route, we have the same bike, so watching this very closely !! flhman

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Not sure how to tell if I cracked the head, but i rode the piss out of her all the way home yesterday and temps reached 91 degrees outside, she ran strong the entire 300 plus miles home, guess we will see....

Where can I get the new updated pump? I definitely gonna tear into it this weekend and see about repairing the original pump

I'll fix the old pump or replace it if I can't fix it, any idea how to clear the codes once the pump is repaired or replaced? Thanks everyone for all of your feed back!! I post again after I fix her........
Once you have a code pulled up in a particular section just press and hold the trip button until its says clear. then exit out and go check the next section.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Once you have a code pulled up in a particular section just press and hold the trip button until its says clear. then exit out and go check the next section.

Thank You sir!!! when did you get the new ride, did you sell your old bike?

How do you like the new motor?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Thank You sir!!! when did you get the new ride, did you sell your old bike?

How do you like the new motor?
You're welcome! I got this one last August. Was on the 18' Fat Bob for a year. I just got the itch to try a different bike for a while and I'm still looking at other bikes now. Waiting for when I can just put a 2nd horse in the barn. I just like experiencing different rides and want to try them all. Lol!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're welcome! I got this one last August. Was on the 18' Fat Bob for a year. I just got the itch to try a different bike for a while and I'm still looking at other bikes now. Waiting for when I can just put a 2nd horse in the barn. I just like experiencing different rides and want to try them all. Lol!
Me too, thats y i still have my 2002 ultra, i just love that old girl..... really want a little 1200 sporty to tinker on and as a matter of fact just started looking as im getting a little refund from uncle sam...... pulled the coolant pump off tonight and she is toast, ordering tonight, but i'm gonna have to wait to install for a week or so, i'm headed outta town down to austin texas for a week of music and parting with some old friends. will post up cost of parts and status of repair after shes done in about two weeks. thanks again everyone for all your help!!! saving me some serious coin!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I just got home from Austin Texas today to find out that the water/coolant pump I ordered from the Surdyke website turned out to be a complete coolant pump kit with all the hoses, zip ties, pump brackets, coolant pump, electrical connectors etc!! hell of a deal!! list, $352. online order price $267.!!! neeedless to say, I am very happy!! Gonna start putting her back together a little later tonight..

·
Registered
360 Posts
So I just got home from Austin Texas today to find out that the water/coolant pump I ordered from the Surdyke website turned out to be a complete coolant pump kit with all the hoses, zip ties, pump brackets, coolant pump, electrical connectors etc!! hell of a deal!! list, $352. online order price $267.!!! neeedless to say, I am very happy!! Gonna start putting her back together a little later tonight..
Yes, it's the complete upgrade kit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts