Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped the bars on my 2009 non-ABS bike which was a piece of cake. How hard is it to swap the hydraulic clutch and ABS lines on the 2015's? I was told by my dealer the clutch is just like the brake line I had done before just pump it up and open the bleeder but the ABS needed to be done by them with their computer. Seems fishy since I know others have done it themselves. Any help or advise? Is there a write up somewhere that I have not been able to find? I am pretty sure I am going with 14" Factory 47 bars but am considering the 12" if the lines will be a pain in the [email protected]@. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
If you do the change yourself and the ABS light stays on you will need to go to the dealer so the computer can be reflashed so the ABS light will function correctly when riding.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you do the change yourself and the ABS light stays on you will need to go to the dealer so the computer can be reflashed so the ABS light will function correctly when riding.
Can you bleed the ABS brakes like non ABS? I looked at the calibers and I did not see the bleeders on them.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Not at all true. Nothing needs to be changed or reflashed on the ECM. You can attempt to bleed the brakes as normal and you'll most likely be successful. However, if you did happen to get some air into the ABS module, you will need to take the bike to the dealer so they can put it on the Digital Tech. They can cycle the ABS module while bleeding the brakes to get the remaining air out.

There are bleeder screws on each front caliper.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So as I am understanding it, with the ABS, I can bleed them, and its a 50/50 that I will have to take it to the dealer for them to finish the job. What about the hydraulic clutch, if I change the cable can I just bleed it like the brakes? If so, where is the bleeder for the clutch?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Correct. Many people have bled the ABS brake system after changing the lines. When I did mine, I got enough air out of the front brakes so the bike was rideable, but the brakes were a little bit spongy. So I did end up riding it to the dealer and have them do a final bleed on the DT.

Sorry, I can't be much help on the clutch, as I'm still running a cable. However, I'm sure some folks here have done it and will chime in.

Cheers. -Jay

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct. Many people have bled the ABS brake system after changing the lines. When I did mine, I got enough air out of the front brakes so the bike was rideable, but the brakes were a little bit spongy. So I did end up riding it to the dealer and have them do a final bleed on the DT.

Sorry, I can't be much help on the clutch, as I'm still running a cable. However, I'm sure some folks here have done it and will chime in.

Cheers. -Jay
Thanks, now I am a little less intimidated by changing the lines. My 09 was easy with no ABS and cable clutch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clutch bleeder is on the right side, exhaust side, trans cover.
Thanks, I will take a look when I get home, I always figure the worst that can happen is that I need to have the dealer pick it up and fix my F up. Luckily I have never had to do that, thus far.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't mean to hijack but what fluid did you use when you did you clutch? I'm about to tackle this also.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Check out Factory 47 Roadglide handlebar installation on Youtube. They say you don"t have to change the lines or wiring for 14" bars. There's a 23 minute video that shows you exactly how to do it. You don't even need to remove the ignition switch just the chrome horseshoe under it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I installed two pairs very easily like you said. But my new bars I am going to go internal on my brake and clutch lines. Well at least attempt it haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts