Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend purchased a 2015 recently and really doesn't like the handlebars. Has anyone changed theirs out yet? Please let me know the make and model.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I think the first thing to do would be to re-position the stock bars and see if that helps. I sat on one the other day, i think if they were moved up so the grips were close to level they would be pretty good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't like my 2015 stock bars at all. I am getting some custom ones made, but looking at the brackets and fit, most of the existing Trask and Yaffe bars that worked on 2013 models should be fine. If you use monkey bars or mini apes, I don't know if there is an improved clamp with three screws available yet, but that should be easy to work with if you find a pair of bars you like. If I have any other notes from my build I will post them up:
ImageUploadedByMO Free1410927038.609441.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
559 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I love that I love the stock bars in the position that they came. One less thing to worry about.
Same here. I find the stock 2015 bars put me in a more neutral/comfortable upright riding position then even the Heritage bars on my 2011.

regards,

·
Registered
85 Posts
There is a new notch and set-pin on the bars where the clamp locks them in...it will potentially limit the ability to roll them forward and backward to an ideal position. Makes them more stable once mounted, but it will be a challenge someone will have to solve. I am looking at cutting an extra slot so I can roll them back a bit.

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
....Makes them more stable once mounted......

Curious how a loose fitting pin would make the bars more stable :confussed: plus there's better ways to prevent a set of bars from unexpectedly moving forward or back.....

I've never had an stability (or lack of feeling firmly in place) issue on any set of bars with a one piece top clamp

·
Registered
85 Posts
Curious how a loose fitting pin would make the bars more stable :confussed: plus there's better ways to prevent a set of bars from unexpectedly moving forward or back.....

I've never had an stability (or lack of feeling firmly in place) issue on any set of bars with a one piece top clamp

I've only felt like mini apes and taller bars have an issue. They tend to flex and put a lot of pressure on the stock clamp setup. Using a top clamp with three set screws on delrin has been good in the past, but I thing that new pin is going to limit some traditional options.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Damn pin!!

I bought a 2015 RG special two weeks ago and felt the same way about the bars. I'm coming from an '05 nightrain with 12" apes, so I decided to try and figure it out. As someone else mentioned there is a pin on the bottom of the right side riser, that mates with a slot in the handlebars and limits how much you can rotate them forward and back. I grabbed a pair of vise grips and checked to see if I can just pull it out. Well it worked and I was able to rotate the bars to a much more comfortable position. Checked clearance for wires and cables and made sure I wasn't running into the fairing from lock to lock. Also I was concerned with a possible wobble at certain speeds and so far nothing. Couldn't be more happier!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I agree the pin seems unnecessary, but might be good insurance on apes. Seems like you could drill a hole in any 1.5" ape once you decide where you want them. So having the option might be a good thing.

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
The holes in the bars and pins on the controls are for locating during assembly.....same reason they have gone to a canbus setup and Delco style parts

The pins aren't a safety feature for the end user and the less wires aren't to make it easier for the end user to internally wire a set of bars etc etc etc

It's all about speed and accuracy of assembly at the plants. No different than any other corporation

·
Registered
700 Posts
The holes in the bars and pins on the controls are for locating during assembly.....same reason they have gone to a canbus setup and Delco style parts

The pins aren't a safety feature for the end user and the less wires aren't to make it easier for the end user to internally wire a set of bars etc etc etc

It's all about speed and accuracy of assembly at the plants. No different than any other corporation

So what's with no pins on the CVO models. They hand built by better techs that don't need pins? Just curious.

·
Registered
908 Posts
So what's with no pins on the CVO models. They hand built by better techs that don't need pins? Just curious.
CVO models have only the pin at the handle bar clamp. The other 15 road glides have the controls and clamp pins.

Build by the same techs since 2010.

Cant get a real good answer on why contols are pinned except on CVO's.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I got this month's Bagger magazines, and been looking on FB, I've seen at least 3 companies making bars for the 15 RG, to include Buky, and Yaffe.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts