Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice...been thinking of adding a Tour Pack on my 2015 Vivid Black and been thinking about the tire shredder kit....i actually went to the dealer to have them install the shredder and the service guy talked me out of it!!!!!
He says i should try the new motor and i won't need the shredder!
Has anyone gone from a 2015-16 to the new motor? i have V&H head and muffler with FP3 and Arlen Ness Sucker but no cam or anything serious yet done to mine.
so is it worth it to trade mine and get a '17 or '18? There is a dealer with a 2016 CVO im thinking about trying to steal...is the CVO 110 enough of a difference? Is the 107 Motor enough?
thoughts? anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
Thanks for the replies on this topic from my RG family...

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
From the numbers I see that kit puts out and the cost. He was right. And that's pretty cool he talked you out of it. A fuel moto 107 kit will do you better from what I have seen and cost you less.

As far as the 110. I was just talking to our service manager. He's not a fan of that motor. Compared to the 103 it's less dependable and has had more issues. Some of the internals on the 110 are the same as the 103. Lifters, push rods. Things you would assume are heavy duty. His 110 has low Mike's and is torn down due to wear. Piston slap. His opinion of the 110 is ya have to upgrade that to be what it should be. I dont have first hand experience. Never owned one. Almost bought a 15 CVO RGU but opted for the 16 with the 103. I'm not regretting it.

As far as the M8. It seems to be a winner. But does not far surpass the 103 as far as real world side by side racing. I flat out ran with one and from a 55mph roll on. At 107mph he never left me and was never more than a half a bike ahead.

The M8 is smooth. Rolls on great. Torque comes on smooth and runs all the way up. The motor for me is too smooth. I like the look of the motor over the TC. But none look as good as a pan or a knuckle. Lol.

You have no bad options here. Except the shredder kit. That's not enough bang for the buck.

Then there's the warranty and EPA restrictions on the M8s. Can you line with a bike you really cant tinker with. Take that to a stage 3 and you're ok. Stage 4 and your powertrain warranty is void. Some shops are covering the warranty of they do the work. But seems those shops are few and far between. Mine told me when I was buying my 16 right when the 17s were hitting the floor that they would not. So I bought the 16. I have a stage 1 on it and that's all I'll do. But didn't want to lose my warranty so my bike would sound good.

I think getting the special and making it yours is the way to go. It has more bells and whistles than the Ultra minus lowers and a tourpack. (Wetheads) that wasn't a concern.

I'm still 10k under what the CVO I was looking at and like my bike a ton better than the cvo I was looking at.

These are just my thoughts and observations and like anything. Just one man's opinion. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Then there's the warranty and EPA restrictions on the M8s. Can you line with a bike you really cant tinker with. Take that to a stage 3 and you're ok. Stage 4 and your powertrain warranty is void. Some shops are covering the warranty of they do the work. But seems those shops are few and far between. Mine told me when I was buying my 16 right when the 17s were hitting the floor that they would not. So I bought the 16. I have a stage 1 on it and that's all I'll do. But didn't want to lose my warranty so my bike would sound good.

I just checked the HD website under stage 4. It says "will not void warranty." Is the website accurate?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Personally I'd probably wait another year before trading up to an M8 based bike. I know it's only the internet and things get blown out of proportion, but I'm still waiting on a confirmed fix for the oil transfer issue, potential oil pump or oil sumping issues. For now I'm happy with my 2015. I was in talking to one of the service techs at our local dealer a couple weeks ago and he mentioned something to me that further reaffirmed that choice.... To change a couple of the plugs you have to remove the fuel tank. Now fuel tank removal isn't that big of a deal, but still.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
A lot of good info mentioned so far.

If I were spending the money on my 103 for more displacement it would be on a 107 not a 110. You never here any complaints about a good 107 build. My 107 with headwork and cams on my 2012 129 tq/100 hp was very drivable, dependable and fun to ride.

I traded my 12 for a 17 RGS, the m8 runs very well with stage 1 set up. Not as fast as my 12 but the m8 powerband is shifted to left for a better power delivery. I like the Rushmore platform and layout for riding. I like riding the m8, a fun bike to ride.

The whole EPA thing bugs the chit out of me, and yes I knew that going in. I thought it would lighten up a little by now but it only seems to get worse with all the voided warranty talk. The migration and sumping issues kind of have me scratching my head with no solid fixes in sight. I am going to buy and extended warranty just to cover my ass with the potential dependability issues.

Knowing what I know now and if I were replacing my bike tomorrow, I might buy a left over or low mileage 15/16 put a stage 2 with a good cam, power vision and call it a day.

Just my .02

·
Registered
132 Posts
In January I moved my other shark and picked up a 15 RGS with 2K on the clock, gonna wait for the moco to get it together with the M8 issues. The 15 is a damn fine motorcycle.....no hurry on my end.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I went from a 15 RGS to a 18 RGS and no regrets at all, but I do not have any intention of doing any engine work. Using HD stuff does not void warranty, if one goes that way.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I just checked the HD website under stage 4. It says "will not void warranty." Is the website accurate?
I was told at my dealer the M8 is good to stage 3. Stage 4 is a warranty killer. That may have changed indent know. That's what I was told when they were first coming out. Maybe it was the info the moco was giving the dealers. And the dealers may have complained about selling less due to that. I'll stop passing that on as fact. But I'd sure check first before putting the stage 4 on a M8.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the 15 RGS fully outfitted like the Ultra. Did cams, full V&H 2 in 1, air cleaner and had the dyno vision tune. I just purchased an 18 Sport Glide for my son with the m8. As much as this motor is ridiculously fast and smooth as butter I wouldn't want it for me. I like my Harley's vibrate and shake, thunder from the pipes and feed back shifting and down shifting. It's what I love about my bike. The M8 hits harder, sooner and smoother, Yawn, for me, again For Me, it's really a preference. I'll go deeper into my motor and build a beast before I'd go with the M8 not because one is better but the experience is just different. I'm sure that didn't help you at all, lol, but good luck which ever you choose it'll be yours for your reason. Happy Riding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I went with a 2017 RGS last october, over an 18. Thought they wanted too much for a black out and stretched bags. Put the last years cash into a stage 3; couldn’t be happier. Rode a stage 4 last year, didn’t like the low end stumble (slight, but there). All under warranty, will decide if I stay with cam and tuner after warranty is up. Still have a 14 ultra (our 2 up tourer), has a v&h head pipe, high flow ac and fp3. I don’t think a TC will have the growth of a M8. Have a friend who did the 110 shredder, 2 big failures and traded the bike for a new ultra.

Just my thoughts, best luck on your decision.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had a Strong running 2011 103 Street Glide,Sold it to my Buddy an got a 2018 RGS,I put Rinehart Slim Line Duals on an had It Dynoed.I rde with my buddy all the time,Not even close I tow my old bike with ease I get a good comparison an have hopped back on my old bike,Same mods Full Exhaust Air Cleaner an both were Dynoed,The 107 is Sneaky fast,I am very happy Did my 1K service Measured my Trans. Oil all there no Migration to Primary Everything was Good.No regrets on this 107 an I really like this RGS my first Road Glide like it so much better than my SG

·
Registered
515 Posts
I went from a black 2015 RGS, bought new April 2015, and traded for a new black 2017 January 2017. I am very, very glad that I did. The new engine alone justified the trade, but also the suspension is noticeably better, the bike is smoother, and there is not as much mechanical racket coming from the engine. It is also cooler in stock form. Both bikes were/are completely stock except for grips, shield, and seat.
The '17 is just a better bike.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I have the 15 RGS fully outfitted like the Ultra. Did cams, full V&H 2 in 1, air cleaner and had the dyno vision tune. I just purchased an 18 Sport Glide for my son with the m8. As much as this motor is ridiculously fast and smooth as butter I wouldn't want it for me. I like my Harley's vibrate and shake, thunder from the pipes and feed back shifting and down shifting. It's what I love about my bike. The M8 hits harder, sooner and smoother, Yawn, for me, again For Me, it's really a preference. I'll go deeper into my motor and build a beast before I'd go with the M8 not because one is better but the experience is just different. I'm sure that didn't help you at all, lol, but good luck which ever you choose it'll be yours for your reason. Happy Riding.
I went stage 2. It definitely brought some of the feel and vibration of a twin cam back.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got the kit down to 2300 and something...10 hrs install-$1250...V&H say they would build me a map, but i would have to figure later another gee whiz ($1000) for a tuner and tune...

i rode a Fat Bob when they came out, and did not like the quietness of that thing, and the smoothness, for that matter....if i wanted a Honda i'd go get one...

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
thanks for the input guys....ugh! lol

At least for now the Tire Shredder is out!
Ya. We're generally a very helpful group. Lol. It's your fault by adding in too may variables.

Find a low mile 16 and be done with it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have an M8 with the Stage IV. Still covered by HD warranty, no exceptions. Love the power, can't give info on reliability as the miles are still low. Went from a 13 to the M8.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
My only negative about the '16 RGU was the shake at idle while waiting at a light. It messed with my vision. I would sometimes stand and straddle the bike if it was a longer light. Very very happy with the '18 Special. Keep in mind that I don't do any drivetrain mods to my bikes. If I could do a stage one and have the bike not be any louder than it currently is, then maybe I would consider it at one of my service intervals.

I leave cage traffic behind like they are sitting still and the only thing that keeps me from accelerating any harder is the thought that I might be wearing out the rear tire prematurely. :nerd:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so now i am reading about the stage IV on the new ones, AND Harley sends me an email offering me $1500 if i get into a new '17 or '18?!?!?!?!? They are watching me! lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts