Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently have 19,100 miles on my 2015 RGS.
Haven't had any real issues so far and it has just been a great bike.
A week ago on the way home from work I noticed my right side air vent was closed. I didn't close it so WTF. I went to re-open it and it wouldn't say open. Went to the dealer and they ordered the new air vent unit. They told me that they have seen now three bikes with this issue. It's covered under warranty so no big deal. I'll be picking it up shortly. Keep your eyes open to this gents. Most likely a unit of plastic went bad which means it could happen again. I always ride with all three vents open so I'll be glad to get it back fixed.
Swomack

Registered
I just had mine in to the dealer becuase the vents wouldn't open. They fixed it under warranty. We will see how long they stay working.

Registered
I did notice one of my was difficult to open. The vent was open and button didn't wanna depress to close it. Got it working again with my man hands :grin:

Registered
Happened to mine too at around 4000 mile mark.

Registered
Mine were sticky, so grease guy to the rescue!!! Works OK so far. One less trip to ask the dealer to fix something. That trip is getting old.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Well the dealer fixed with a new replacement and it seems to be good again. I'm sure this will need to be fixed again at some point but I'm good for now.
Swomack

Registered
Mine, too, was getting sticky. I took the outer fairing off to see if there's any binding in the mechanism, but I didn't find any problem mechanically. I then decided to just lube the pivot for the "flaps" and now it opens and closes as when it was new. Because it was getting sticky little by little over time, I didn't realize how much easier it is now open and close after I lube the pivot.

I now know what to do the next time when they get sticky.....

Registered
Same here, wouldn't open if closed, wouldn't close if open. Dealer got inside and lubed it up and it works better. Sorta. Splurged on the ESP so I'm not too worried.

Registered
I've been in once for the vents sticking, and they are sticking again. I have my fairing apart right now and was planning on trying to lube it a little on reassembly and see if that helps. If not I guess I'll harass my dealer about them again.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I've been in once for the vents sticking, and they are sticking again. I have my fairing apart right now and was planning on trying to lube it a little on reassembly and see if that helps. If not I guess I'll harass my dealer about them again.
Let us all know how that works out for you will ya.
Swomack

Registered
Yes,
I have a 2015 Road glide. I always keep my vents closed when I ride. One day my eyes started to water while riding, and this caused me t notice that one of my vents was open. I could not shut it, because it was stuck open. Then, I noticed that all of the other events were stuck too in the closed position. I had to use a butter knife to free all of them up along with playing with the release button. It makes me wonder is this bad plastic or calcification in the water causing these vents to stick?

Anyway, I have had my bike precisely for one year now when this happened. My bike is under warranty, and they didn't seem surprised when I told them.. they just said "bring it in and we will repair it" I do not want to keep repairing this, so hopefully they change the plastic used in all three vents.

Thanks for listening,
Forrest

Registered
No issues with mine yet. Just hit 5000 miles but I ride with center open and lowers closed all the time. Tomorrow I will see if I can close and open them.

Registered
I'm thinking it's plastic that's too soft for the application, and something is wearing out. Hopefully the replacements are a little tougher.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking it's plastic that's too soft for the application, and something is wearing out. Hopefully the replacements are a little tougher.
I really don't think they changed the design but once they replaced mine with new I haven't had any issues since.
Swomack

Registered
I really don't think they changed the design but once they replaced mine with new I haven't had any issues since.
Swomack
If the original ones were failing in X miles, and the new ones are fine after the same miles, then they changed something.

One other possibility is that when they started manufacturing new bikes with the new vents, they didn't realize the importance of lubricating the plastic bits, and that's why there were failures. Perhaps the replacements are better lubricated and that's why they're working fine.

Registered
Mine are getting a bit sticky now. Spoke to the dealer about it and they said bring it in. They mentioned they're seeing it a lot lately

Registered
Tried a small shot of silicon spray when I had the fairing apart, didn't help much. The lower vent on the left is closed and won't latch open, the right works and the top works after a fashion, you have to press the opposite side of the button to reset it once it is open. I'll take it back in when I have an opportunity and have my dealer deal with it.

Registered
I know this is an old thread but this happened to me today, the right vent is closed and don't stay open, I have a 2016 RGS with 5000 miles... :frown:

I was looking here for some solutions but now I know that I'll need to visit the dealer

Registered
Now I need to go check mine (15 RGS) and see how they work. Experimented with them open and closed when I bought the bike new, liked them open so much I've never closed them again. On second thought, if they're stuck open, I guess it doesn't matter!

Registered
Mine too! When their open, can't get them to close and when their closed can't get them to stay open.
I just leave them closed all winter and around spring time open all of them till Oct/Nov

1 - 20 of 32 Posts