Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm doing the usual stage 1 a/c, pipe and tuner mods to my '15 RGS..... And was also thinking about doing the cams.

As far as I know, these new Rushmore bikes have an "upgraded" cams already, so how much difference is just a cam swap going to make? I have no $$$ for 107" or any type of head work or anything like that, so it would be just the bolt in cams.

I'm thinking it's probably not worth the money for a very small gain?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm doing the usual stage 1 a/c, pipe and tuner mods to my '15 RGS..... And was also thinking about doing the cams.

As far as I know, these new Rushmore bikes have an "upgraded" cams already, so how much difference is just a cam swap going to make? I have no $$$ for 107" or any type of head work or anything like that, so it would be just the bolt in cams.

I'm thinking it's probably not worth the money for a very small gain?

Thanks for any advice.
I installed Fueling cams in my 15 RGS. I used the 574 cams. I got 98 HP out of it but I planned on sending my heads to Tman performance and having them worked. Thats my next move..

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yes it'll make a difference. The new stock cams are better than the old stock cams, but that ain't saying much. Is it worth it? That depends on your style of riding which also determines the cams you should buy.
Text Line Plot Pattern Diagram

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Cams are always def worth the money, given you buy the right cam for your riding style. Depending if you like down low rpm torque for touring to help pull your fully loaded up bike with gear and a passenger. Or a higher lift cam for more street light to street light racing action they got you covered for that too! The cam swap makes the bike feel totally different, I went with a much milder cam in my bike an it's still worlds different than the factory cam. I also out pull my buddies new rushmore bike and we have identical exhaust and intakes. My "milder" cam is still a tad larger than the new updated cam that comes factory in the rushmore bikes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it'll make a difference. The new stock cams are better than the old stock cams, but that ain't saying much. Is it worth it? That depends on your style of riding which also determines the cams you should buy.
View attachment 183025
Thanks for the info. My riding style is a mix of cruising and hammering through the twisties.... Basically I want more overtaking power. At first I thought I wanted a low-mid range TQ cam, but now I am considering a cam that comes on a little higher in the rpm range and pulls a bit longer. May be better for overtaking on the HWY. eg Woods 777 or GMR 577.

Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cams are always def worth the money, given you buy the right cam for your riding style. Depending if you like down low rpm torque for touring to help pull your fully loaded up bike with gear and a passenger. Or a higher lift cam for more street light to street light racing action they got you covered for that too! The cam swap makes the bike feel totally different, I went with a much milder cam in my bike an it's still worlds different than the factory cam. I also out pull my buddies new rushmore bike and we have identical exhaust and intakes. My "milder" cam is still a tad larger than the new updated cam that comes factory in the rushmore bikes.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm definitely decided on doing cams... now just have to choose one :eek:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I installed Fueling cams in my 15 RGS. I used the 574 cams. I got 98 HP out of it but I planned on sending my heads to Tman performance and having them worked. Thats my next move..
I installed the same cams in my 12 RG,i am planning on heads and more compression this next winter.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If you are wanting a torque cam look into a new cam developed by TTS,saw it at the V-Twin Expo,they had a dyno graph that showed some very good numbers.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Fuel Moto has installed some of their cams in 2015 RG's with impressive results. They will also be doing cam testing in their 2015 RG some time this month.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
It never hurts to put a good set of cams in. With a good exhaust and tune.
The new cams that comes with the 14/15 year models are not so bad.
But when choosing a cam ask your yourself..
Where do I want my power band?
Low/mid or mid /high
Will this cam grow with added motor work down the line.(if any plans) etc.,

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Thanks for the info. My riding style is a mix of cruising and hammering through the twisties.... Basically I want more overtaking power. At first I thought I wanted a low-mid range TQ cam, but now I am considering a cam that comes on a little higher in the rpm range and pulls a bit longer. May be better for overtaking on the HWY. eg Woods 777 or GMR 577.

Thanks.
Those cams are not that good of a cam for your stock bike because they need a higher compression then stock to perform up to expectations.
I use the Woods TW222 and it is a great cam for touring bikes, it gives you both low end/mid range torque and it pulls longer too and works well with stock compression.
A Woods TW555 is also a good cam to look at along with cams that have similar specs as the TW222 or TW555.
Looking at the range you want your power to be in is important but also consider the power range you ride in 99% of the time. Most of the time when riding a bike you will be in the 2000 to 4000 rpm range averaging around 3000 rpms and the only time you may go above 4000 rpm is when you a shifting through the gears.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Once again I agree with ironmark, well said, depends if your going to do headwork for higher comp, torque cams offer better results IMO, if you want to go feuling the 543 is the best choice for a 103, produces low end torque and higher horsepower, EPA factory cams are limited to performance.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
I agree with the 222's. What an awesome cam to step up to from stock but if you get bored quickly like myself you may want to save some dough and seek out a whole engine package to better suit your needs and do the work all at once. Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It never hurts to put a good set of cams in. With a good exhaust and tune.
The new cams that comes with the 14/15 year models are not so bad.
But when choosing a cam ask your yourself..
Where do I want my power band?
Low/mid or mid /high
Will this cam grow with added motor work down the line.(if any plans) etc.,
Thanks, that's good advice. Lot to think about.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
777 prolly sound nasty but it's gonna need some more compression. I'm hoping I blow my shit up so I can get one of those Drago 124s :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wanted low to mid range torque and a HP bump. Just ordered the S&S 551C cams along with the S&S Power Tune Duals. I already have SPO slip ons and S&S A/C with TTS and got dynod. Bike is at 83 hp and 100 tq without cams and cat free header, so I'll see how it turns out. The 551C's are strong from 1000 to 4000, which is what I need on my RGU. This time I plan to really pay attention to the dyno, should be interesting.
Got the non easy start cams, as my understanding is that ACR and easy start cams are redundant.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts