Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any got any pics or can show how they did their double din. Cause we all know that infotainment head unit is beyond garbage. A waste of extra 2 grand on the bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ive been researching nonstop trying to figure it out. from what i can gather it is possible, you just have to cut out part of the support bracket inside the shark nose. now that being said it wouldnt be to difficult to bend up a piece of flat bar to create a cage of sorts for the double din to mount in and also use it to support the area that was cut out. the only problem im running into is i want to put an amp under my head unit and i dont believe that will be possible with a double din and ive not seen any other option for an amp in the fairing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
yes sir you are on to something there with that thought. I fell in love with the head unit i have because i also installed it in my wifes mini van and for the price it does everything for me and then some more

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I don't have a new bike with the infotainment system, but I thought that was supposed to be one of the big selling points for new models. What is wrong with the new radios that makes you want to change them? Not knocking you, just curious

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have a new bike with the infotainment system, but I thought that was supposed to be one of the big selling points for new models. What is wrong with the new radios that makes you want to change them? Not knocking you, just curious
Do a search & you'll find out how many people find the navi unit to be a POS. Include me on the list. I'm sure I will be changing mine out as soon a I am able to find the right unit.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I think i am going to go with Sony with a Mirror link.. I like the new radio myself all the double dins are had to read in sunlight where the HD radio isnt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2015 roadglide i put a pioneer nex 4100 in came out good you have to install the metra 99-9700 kit to still keep your handle bar controls an to be able to check oil an tire pressure if not your check engine light will come on

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've always been a bit of a techie (retired I/T guy), and I'm in the group that thinks the current GPS capabilities and maps are an absolute joke. What is this...1997?!? And don't get me started on the Bluetooth.

So, I'm doing lots of reading and getting lots of ideas, but I have to ask: I know what DIN stands for, but what is "double DIN"?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I've always been a bit of a techie (retired I/T guy), and I'm in the group that thinks the current GPS capabilities and maps are an absolute joke. What is this...1997?!? And don't get me started on the Bluetooth.

So, I'm doing lots of reading and getting lots of ideas, but I have to ask: I know what DIN stands for, but what is "double DIN"?

Double Din is the industry standard term for head units that are roughly double the size of the "normal" head unit.

Ex. The 2013 and earlier radios are "single" din

The 6.5 infotainment system stock on the 2015 and 2016 road glide special is "double" din.

In general, double din systems are the ones large enough to have navigation.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,546 Posts

It Stands for Duetch Industri Normen which the Germans starting using to standardize the radio’s in Audi’s, BMW’s, Mercedes, VW’s way back in the mid 80’s. It has since become the industry standard.

Useless fact of the day :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
the more i think about it the easier it gets. Anyone know if the metra and biketronics controllers will work with the double din brothers of the single din radios that they advertise to work with. My main thing is as long as the track skip and volume would work ill be happy. If I can find a reasonably priced solution to make those 2 things work ill buy a cheap double din and get to work. May would even be able to sell some kits to install these things.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

It Stands for Duetch Industri Normen which the Germans starting using to standardize the radio’s in Audi’s, BMW’s, Mercedes, VW’s way back in the mid 80’s. It has since become the industry standard.

Useless fact of the day :)

Especially since the op stated in his op that he already knew what din stands for.........?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 2015 roadglide i put a pioneer nex 4100 in came out good you have to install the metra 99-9700 kit to still keep your handle bar controls an to be able to check oil an tire pressure if not your check engine light will come on
Is that you that has the videos on YouTube showing the install? That's exactly what I want to do but not sure what you're talking about on some things. Can you tell what you did and what all you had to buy? I know that's asking a lot but I really like what you did if that's you on YouTube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Road Glide double din

Hello I own a very high end stereo store called Audio Shoppe located in Riverside CA and am trying to let the Harley community know that it is possible to fit a double din radio and 4 ch amplifier in a 2016 road glide with some slight fab work. we put an all ARC audio system in this bike it it sounds incredible and will rip your head off. Currently trying to figure out how to put pics in this forum but i will be happy to email anyone reading this pictures of the job also feel free to call 195-687-0550

1 - 20 of 20 Posts