Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i had my bike dyno tuned up at Pocono Mt H-D in July. Had the bike back for a month now with another 1,000 miles on it. I have to say it runs nice and smooth now. I am very happy with the tune. The driveabilty is fantastic.

I have a Fulsac header pipe with the 4 inch Rienhardt mufflers. I am running the elite Harley heavy breather intake. it was 106 TQ and almost 87 HP. How much would i expect to get if i added some mild cams? How much more does a set of cams really do for ya? What does it generally run for a set of cams installed?

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
The cams by themselves won't add much. Its the tune after you add the cams. I had tried some Andrews Cams (which I still have by the way), and only saw a modest 3.8% increase in HP and 4.3% increase in TQ. When I did the head work AND matching cams, I saw about a 20% increase in both. :surprise:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea that is what I was afraid of. I would like to keep the cost to a grand at the most. I have another toy that needs some attention sitting in the garage sleeping lol. Only so much money to go around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm running rinehart true dual xtreme exhaust HD heavy breather Andrews 54h cams Screaming eagle tuner
93hp 107 torque

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ok so i had my bike dyno tuned up at Pocono Mt H-D in July. Had the bike back for a month now with another 1,000 miles on it. I have to say it runs nice and smooth now. I am very happy with the tune. The driveabilty is fantastic.

I have a Fulsac header pipe with the 4 inch Rienhardt mufflers. I am running the elite Harley heavy breather intake. it was 106 TQ and almost 87 HP. How much would i expect to get if i added some mild cams? How much more does a set of cams really do for ya? What does it generally run for a set of cams installed?
I have a 2009 110" with a catless OEM headpipe ceramic coated, Rinehart 4" mufflers, and a SE Heavy Breather. So very similar set up as your bike. I have a bit of clean up headwork, a .030 head gasket, and a re-degree'd SE255 cam.

I too had Dave do a tune on my bike in July, and my numbers on his dyno showed 95/112. Less than I thought, but bear in mind I really think his dyno numbers are lower than most others, meaning they are not inflated and are probably more accurate.

Keep that in mind when you ask what other peoples numbers are. IMO, other peoples number are irrelevant as all dyno's are different. At least our bikes have similar mods and were run on the same dyno.

With the extra stuff I have done, I'd say yours are in line with a Stage I 110.

By October 7th, I'll have an answer for you regarding cams. I am having a TTS 100 installed right now, along with a Fullsac DX pipe, and am going back to Dave in early October for a re-tune.

I'll let you know the results.

·
Registered
296 Posts
To each their own but these touring bikes are not race bikes. I got 95/98 out of my last 80" EVO by going all out more or less similar to Stage IV back in the day, and it was light FXR4. Ran like hell, high 11's in the quarter. Those days are past and I didn't buy a Street Glide to build another hot rod.

These 103 or 110 TC's are great engines treated right. I'd say leave it mostly alone, Stage 1 with a tune and ride it and take care of it. But that's me.

If you want a hot-rod, buy an FXR and build it right.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts

If you added the Andrews 57H cam, you would see a dyno of about 100 hp and 115 torque. That's what I got with just the cams and the D&D Fatcats.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smarty thats a decent gain. Was it across the board or just peeky. I am not hunting just for #'s but a big gain across the usable rpm range. My bike runs like a champ after the tune.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

I just had SE254e cams and SE head gasket put in my 12 and WOW what a difference it made. 12hp bump and 10TQ bump but it made the bike soooooo much more rideable. 5th gear pull it starts out 50 HP higher at 1500 rpm and just pulls so much better from there. Eddie at Topeka HD did a great job with recommendations and tuning my TTS and the whole thing was only $1500. I should have done it years ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The gains I have seen on just adding bolt in cams can be very impressive. The topend will be a modest 10 to 15% but the lowend tq and midrange can be much more than 15% . At times almost a 80 to 100% gain. 100 foot lbs of tq as low as 2200 to 3000 is kickin butt and then the stretched out curve, it really is impressive.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you added the Andrews 57H cam, you would see a dyno of about 100 hp and 115 torque. That's what I got with just the cams and the D&D Fatcats.
Smarty is correct. I added the 57H cam, my scoot dyno'd at 99 HP / 116 TQ.

·
Registered
326 Posts
One of my riding partners from Murfreesboro, TN area just traded his 15 RG in on a 16 RG as they were offering a free 110 upgrade with the purchase. He tells me they will run the SERT on it. Is that preferable to a PowerCommander? Is the SERT tunable? I think he picks his bike up from them today. I think he should see around 100/100 hp/tq right? I'm hopeful he will get a dyno chart out of the deal as well.

Thanks.
BG

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Epa says they can not sell anymore the factory has to buy back all stock

Nope, talked to an owner on Friday. The dealer has to offer to buy back tuners, but the dealer themselves can sell all they still have for racing applications, same as always but not for street use. Once they are gone, Harley is out of the race tuning business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
967 Posts
Another one for 57H great bolt on cam. Nice tq through 2000 to 3500 rpm range and higher if like to roll the throttle even farder.
Not always those dyno can tell everything have to ride one. Many swear the new 103 with the stock can TQ so close to a cam upgrade not worth it by so small gain. The HP will go up to 100 +|- 1 and TQ 110 to 116 depending on pipes and tuner.
Riding will be large improvement when roll the throttle through the RPM range very strong for aggressive street rider.
Riding my friends 103 HO mine pulls much stronger accelerating through the gears.
If you are keeping your bike for a while it's worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Harley-Davidson fined $12M, ordered to destroy illegal tuning devices

As part of its settlement with the federal government, Harley-Davidson must stop selling the tuners, offer to buyback the tuners from U.S. dealer inventory and destroy them.

THAT MEANS NO MORE TUNERS!!! FROM HARLEY

·
Registered
296 Posts
Nope, talked to an owner on Friday. The dealer has to offer to buy back tuners, but the dealer themselves can sell all they still have for racing applications, same as always but not for street use. Once they are gone, Harley is out of the race tuning business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is correct, my dealer still a few in stock and they will sell them to the public.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts