Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 RGS that is out of warranty so taking to the dealer is out of the question. Doesn't happen all the time but frequently especially it seems when warmed up. When at idle the idle will be high, usually about 1500 RPM although yesterday it would go up to 2000 and back down. Then when I go to take off it will die unless I can throttle it just right. It will do the same thing at a low RPM cruise when I get on it. It will die unless I can throttle it correctly until the RPMs come up. No codes. Disabled EITMS thinking that may be causing it but the same. Can smell gas sometimes like it is flooding out when I have to get on it from a stop. Again doesn't happen all the time but frequently.

I am thinking about starting with plugs and new wires. If that doesn't fix it maybe fuel filter but the bike only has 17300 miles on it and would think that a clogged filter would affect more at higher RPMs with cutting out and such. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Troy

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Check to make sure the little rubber cap is on the purge pipe on top of the fuel induction manifold behind the air cleaner.It could be cracked also.
2. could be the TCA throttle control actuator which is in the fuel induction module.
Mine went bad but a lot higher miles.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Soulcycles/2012-07-12_140504_throttle_body.jpg
Might want to check connections on throttle body

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I will look into the recommendations and see what I can find out. I appreciate the replies.

There are no codes present.

Troy

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I checked the rubber cap on the purge pipe and the TB connections and all good. I took out my plugs, cleaned them up and reinstalled. Also the air cleaner is pretty dirty so going to replace that. Just not sure if I should go with stock or get a K&N. Have heard that the air cleaners on the bikes are pretty high flow so would probably just go with the filter element and not a whole unit. Any ideas? Didn't see any vacuum lines to check. Any place special that I should look? I will probably spray some TB cleaner up inside to make sure it isn't all dirty.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cleaned the throttle body out and got some nasty looking stuff out of it. Hopefully after that and a new air cleaner it will run better.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Unplug your throttle position motor look inside the plug and reinstall, you could put a dab very small of dielectric grease on it, look at the plug wires carefully on that connector for severe bends or wear, good luck brotha.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got the new K&N filter element put in, and with the cleaned throttle body and plugs and all seems good. Drove to work this morning, about 35 minutes and no issues. Will see how it does on the way home when the temp is a little warmer.

I will check the throttle position motor Road Dog for any issues. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the ride home was good, about 40 minutes temps in the mid 80s. Bike rode good all the way until I pulled up to the garage. When I stopped to open the garage door the bike was idling at about 1500 RPMs. It would drop down to 1000 then back to 1500. I could feather the throttle and no problem, but when I got on the throttle hard hesitation on revving up, then would pop on decel. And I could smell fuel when I shut it off so guess I will check the throttle position motor next? Road Dawg, where is that located? I have a manual but not on me. Thanks all for the ideas.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I would also replace the spaRK plugs. I don't trust just cleaning them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big Gary, That is next on my list. Going to go with the SE plugs and wires.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Well the ride home was good, about 40 minutes temps in the mid 80s. Bike rode good all the way until I pulled up to the garage. When I stopped to open the garage door the bike was idling at about 1500 RPMs. It would drop down to 1000 then back to 1500. I could feather the throttle and no problem, but when I got on the throttle hard hesitation on revving up, then would pop on decel. And I could smell fuel when I shut it off so guess I will check the throttle position motor next? Road Dawg, where is that located? I have a manual but not on me. Thanks all for the ideas.
Still not showing any trouble codes?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gary, I am planning on getting a V&H FP33 hopefully in the not so distant future. You don't think the SE plugs and wires will help the performance?

Woodman; Haven't had the chance to check lately. Life got busy. I did ride the bike on Friday after putting in some seafoam. I rode differently than normal by riding a gear lower. I usually ride around 2000-2500 but changed it to closer to 3000. Basically one gear lower. Ride to work was good. But on the way home the problem came up fast, less than 5 miles on the ride to home. It was all I could do to get it to take off when I stopped. Basically had to feather the throttle until I got some high RPMs and then let off the clutch. But when I got it home it seemed back to normal. Ride to work this morning was fine. No problems so I will see what happens on my ride home. Maybe the seafoam worked some crap out? Will see. I will check for codes later this morning.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ok, I got the codes pulled off the bike and came up with a BCM code b2201.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a '15 RGS with similar issues. Harley had it for 3 days and found (with factory support) that an O2 sensor was wired incorrectly, at the ECM, from the factory.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Gary, I am planning on getting a V&H FP33 hopefully in the not so distant future. You don't think the SE plugs and wires will help the performance?

Woodman; Haven't had the chance to check lately. Life got busy. I did ride the bike on Friday after putting in some seafoam. I rode differently than normal by riding a gear lower. I usually ride around 2000-2500 but changed it to closer to 3000. Basically one gear lower. Ride to work was good. But on the way home the problem came up fast, less than 5 miles on the ride to home. It was all I could do to get it to take off when I stopped. Basically had to feather the throttle until I got some high RPMs and then let off the clutch. But when I got it home it seemed back to normal. Ride to work this morning was fine. No problems so I will see what happens on my ride home. Maybe the seafoam worked some crap out? Will see. I will check for codes later this morning.
Of the MOCO's stock only. :) .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, I got the codes pulled off the bike and came up with a BCM code b2201.
That's "B2201 IGN switch off w/VSS". Means you likely switched off the ignition while the bike was still rolling (maybe into your garage?). I would clear it and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks trewm. I was looking online and couldn't find it anywhere. I will clear it and see if it comes back. So still no codes for my issue.

Steve, did you have problems from the beginning or did the problem come later after you had the bike for awhile? Were there any codes with your fault? My bike worked fine until recently. I could probably find the wire diagram and check the wiring of the O2 sensors?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts