Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will sound a bit if not a lot ridiculous. I absolutely dislike the cheap plastic grill on the bike. An upgraded speaker will cost $350 there about but comes with a decent speaker cover/grill. Has anyone here changed out the speakers and did it make a difference in sound? Don't want to spend all that money unless the speakers are worth it too..

I am only talking fairing speakers. No amp addition.

thanks.

· Registered
10 Posts
I replaced my speakers with the 6.5" stage 1 speakers, Part Number 76000548. They are an improvement. I paid $180 at one of the discount HD dealers. They have metal grills. At freeway speeds I have to increase the volume a couple of clicks. I do not have an amp. I do believe they would benefit with the addition of an amp.

· Premium Member
6,810 Posts
I just purchased a pair of these JBL 2 ohm speakers.
They are three way loud speakers that sound fantastic.
I will be installing these over the weekend along with a new set of lowers and the Radio Shack siren upgrade.
Womack

· Registered
71 Posts
This will sound a bit if not a lot ridiculous. I absolutely dislike the cheap plastic grill on the bike. An upgraded speaker will cost $350 there about but comes with a decent speaker cover/grill. Has anyone here changed out the speakers and did it make a difference in sound? Don't want to spend all that money unless the speakers are worth it too..

I am only talking fairing speakers. No amp addition.

thanks.
I did the speaker upgrade with the amp. The new speakers your talking about require a great deal more horsepower to run. IMHO I wouldn't spend the money on a speaker upgrade without adding an amp.

· Premium Member
6,810 Posts
SWomack, were there any adaptors or modifications needed to put the JBL's in the fairing? Do the original grills still fit? Thank you in advance.
Yes the stock wires worked perfectly without any modifications.
The stock grills do work but the mid and tweeter just barely touch the backside of the grill but the grill still works and stays in place. I use an iPhone for my music and I downloaded an app called louder logic and by using that app to play the music made these JBL's truly come to life. I hope I have answered all your questions.
Womack

· Registered
1,758 Posts
I installed the same JBL GT0638 speakers in my 2015 RG last night. They do sound better than the stock 5.25" speakers. Stock female connectors will fit on the JBL male spades. The negative lead is real tight, and the positive lead is a little loose, but they do work. I'm happy with the upgrade and it didn't break the bank. No amp yet, but the whole setup would probably benefit from that addition.

I've got a thread over in the audio section on my install and impressions.

Swomack - I found the same grill interference as you did with the tweeter and midrange oriented in a vertical position (i.e. tweeter at the top). So I rotated my speakers 90 degrees so that the tweeter and mid range horns are now in the horizontal position. This completely eliminated the contact between the grills and the tweeter / mid range horns.

· Premium Member
6,810 Posts
Does anyone worry about the weather resistance of these speakers (or other aftermarket) that are not specifically Marine speakers?:confused:
My buddy has 8 of these speakers though out his boat and he told me that they have gotten wet without any affect. These speakers come with foam that you put around the leading outside edge of the speaker housing and i am confident that a little moisture will not effect them. When and if you do this mod, have a good look at the stock 5.25" HD speakers. They don't look like they are made half as good as these new JBL 3 way loudspeakers. Down below is the information on these kickass speakers.
Swomack

Universal 6-1/2" GTO Series 3-Way 60W RMS Speakers by JBL®. Make your driving more pleasant and enjoyable with top-drawer speakers that will change your and your passengers' world of sound. The audio speakers are made extremely durable to provide years of reliable and hassle-free service.
JBL - Faqs JBL - Warranty JBL - About

Features:

Size: 6-1/2"
Peak Power: 180 Watts
Series Grand Touring
Patented Plus One® woofer cone
Home theater-quality tweeter
True sound from built-in crossover network
Easy, patented Intermount III mounting system
Can be safely driven by any head unit
Genuine 4-ohm performance
Outstanding audio output

Specifications:

Sold as Pair
Speaker Size: 6-1/2" (also mounts in 6-3/4" w/ included brackets)
Design: 3-Way
Tweeter Design: Dome
Tweeter Composition: Mylar/Titanium Hybrid
Woofer Composition: Plus One
Peak: 360 watts per set / 180 watts each side
RMS: 120 watts per set / 60 watts each side
Sensitivity: 92 dB
Frequency Response: 50 - 21,000 Hz
Impedance: 2 Ohms
Shallow Mount Installation: Yes
External Diameter (in): 6-1/4
External Diameter (mm): 159
Mounting Cutout Diameter (in): 5-1/4
Mounting Cutout Diameter (mm): 133
Mounting Depth (in): 2-1/16
Mounting Depth (mm): 52
Speaker Grilles: Yes

Hit the road with the big, rich, detailed sound that makes JBL® products famous. The GTO638 deploys the serious bass of a Plus One® woofer cone and an edge-driven My-Ti™ super tweeter that produces extended high frequencies, just as the best home audio speakers do. In the GTO638, you’ll find attention to detail rarely given to car audio. And it’s a game-changer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.