Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got caught in the rain on Friday afternoon so Saturday afternoon I took of the bags and washed the bike using a garden hose. I took off the seat and sidepanels and wiped them down and used compressed air to blow the connectors out incase water had gotten into them.,

The bike starts up just fine, the radio/xm/nav works fine. The headlights (hi/low/pass) turn signals/hazards, brake lights work fine.
I can shift through gears and go WOT or putz around town with no issues.

None of the gauges (oil/battery/speed/rpm) light up. none of the gauges show any activity.

I have replaced all 4 fuses (system, P&A, battery, radio) I have replaced the relay for P&A also. I have checked all the connectors under the left and right side panels and blowed air through them to make sure there is no moisture. I have double checked all the connectors under the seat and blown air through all of them.

Still nothing on the gauges :( ... Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do before I take it into the dealer tomorrow morning?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Since it's a '15, my suggestion is to have an adult beverage, a good cigar, and let the dealer fix it! why beat your brain over a warranty issue?

Reactions: scooterh72

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to the dealer will get it fixed but most likely I'll never really know what happened.

Finding and possibly fixing the issue on my own will allow figure out what went wrong and what to look for, if it were to happen again ...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Going to the dealer will get it fixed but most likely I'll never really know what happened.

Finding and possibly fixing the issue on my own will allow figure out what went wrong and what to look for, if it were to happen again ...
did you ever think to ASK the TECH when you pick up the bike? Ever since I took my bike in for it's first service, and the tech that did it screwed it up, I asked the service writer, who works on HIS bike? He introduced me to Steve, and he's the only one that touches my bike since. 25000 miles in 12 months of riding, so he's had plenty of opportunity to get to know her. I always ask him what he found and if he sees any trends developing with her. Get to know the service people at your dealer. It's amazing what a friend can and will do for you rather than a stranger. By the way, a 6'er or a fifth at Christmas also buys a lot of good will!

Reactions: scooterh72

·
Super Moderator
1,817 Posts
I hate electrical gremlins.

What if you were to remove the master fuse, 40 amp I think, disconnect the ECU and disconnect the battery at both terminals. Leave it for say 1/2 hour.

Reconnect the ECU, reconnect the battery and then re install the master fuse.

Also, use a shopvac or similar to vacuum out the fuse areas and places where you have been blowing compressed air, you may have been entrapping moisture in a few spots instead of getting rid of it.

Like I said, I hate electrical gremlins. They are the hardest to diagnose for me anyway.

Good Luck! Keep us informed with what happens.

Calgaryglide.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hate electrical gremlins.

What if you were to remove the master fuse, 40 amp I think, disconnect the ECU and disconnect the battery at both terminals. Leave it for say 1/2 hour.

Reconnect the ECU, reconnect the battery and then re install the master fuse.

Also, use a shopvac or similar to vacuum out the fuse areas and places where you have been blowing compressed air, you may have been entrapping moisture in a few spots instead of getting rid of it.

Like I said, I hate electrical gremlins. They are the hardest to diagnose for me anyway.

Good Luck! Keep us informed with what happens.

Calgaryglide.
No luck ... :(:(

I dropped off the bike with the dealer yesterday evening and they'll look at it today. hopefully it is something simple and not something that requires parts getting shipped from HD.

Thanks for your help and I'll update when the bike comes home on what they found.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After looking over all the obvious things, fuses, relays, connections, the guys at the shop are stumped as to why the gauges are dead. They are going to be taking off the fairing and other body parts to trace all the wires. One of the guys said something about doing an connectivity test also ... not sure what he meant by that but I assume they are going to check all cables end to end to verify no hidden breaks in the wire(s).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spoke to the Service Manager and they said that the gauge cluster is dead. A new cluster is on its way from moco.

What would make a gauge cluster die????

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bike is back home with a new gauge cluster :):)

I didn't get a chance to speak to the tech as he had left for the day when I picked up the bike but I'll speak to him next time I am there and find out how they diagnosed the issue and what could cause an entire cluster to die

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2016 RGU with the same issue??? Took it to the dealer yesterday no word yet. Does HD have a problem with the Rushmore gauges?? Only 1100 miles on bike WTF

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too lost all gauges and indicators

I have a 2016 RGU with the same issue??? Took it to the dealer yesterday no word yet. Does HD have a problem with the Rushmore gauges?? Only 1100 miles on bike WTF
My gauges, indicators, odometer all quit after riding in a rain storm. The tach and speedometer are both frozen where they were when the incident happened. I am taking the bike in to the dealer on Monday. Also a 2016 Road Glide Special. I did notice water inside both the speedometer and the tach.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hi i also have a problem after a ride i heavy rain my gear indicator is gone and then the cruise stop working i can`t see any water in gauges, any body?it`s a RGS 2015

·
Registered
17 Posts
My gauge cluster died also

Came home in a rain storm two weeks ago and also lost all gauges and indication. My Speedo/tach cluster also died. Dealer should have a new one this week. I hope they can figure out how to properly seal it. I'm sure this will be a spendy repair after the warranty is up.

·
Registered
454 Posts
A bud's 16 Ultra cluster has just failed also, 1,300 miles, my Special has been good so far, knock on wood, but Sturgis is quickly coming and we all know it never rains or hails out there!!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hi i also have a problem after a ride i heavy rain my gear indicator is gone and then the cruise stop working i can`t see any water in gauges, any body?it`s a RGS 2015
Hi my dealer think he found the problem a fault code on left handlebar switch and it was not right put together from assemblin line so now i have to wait for some rain and try it again:crying:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Loss of gauges and indication reported to NHTSA

At the suggestion of one of the Hdforums members, I submitted a complaint to the NHTSA this morning to report the loss of all gauges and indication while riding in a rain storm. Harley will not address the issue. Maybe the NHTSA will force their hand. It is not safe to lose the speedometer and all other gauges while riding in a storm. I would encourage all others who have had this issue to do the same!

I got caught in the rain on Friday afternoon so Saturday afternoon I took of the bags and washed the bike using a garden hose. I took off the seat and sidepanels and wiped them down and used compressed air to blow the connectors out incase water had gotten into them.,

The bike starts up just fine, the radio/xm/nav works fine. The headlights (hi/low/pass) turn signals/hazards, brake lights work fine.

None of the gauges (oil/battery/speed/rpm) light up. none of the gauges show any activity.

I have replaced all 4 fuses (system, P&A, battery, radio) I have replaced the relay for P&A also. I have checked all the connectors under the left and right side panels and blowed air through them to make sure there is no moisture. I have double checked all the connectors under the seat and blown air through all of them.

Still nothing on the gauges :( ... Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do before I take it into the dealer tomorrow morning?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
8-12-16 saturday, riding back from sturgis to ny ny .. bike sat in heavy rain for 1 hr. overnite . next morning dead gauges all 4 + no cruize. went to my dealer the other day.. dead cluster . it was almost full with water... smells like an issue. hd will replace cluster. dealer near indiana told me they have changed a few.. there is an issue here .. hd says they dont know of this issue... thats bs. i asked mil. if they have corrected this issue.. they say no... same part # hmmmmmm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rain Delay...

It is water in the gauge cluster. Same issue on my 15RGS last weekend... Once it dries it will come back BUT it still will have LCD issues. Mine reads U20079 miles as of right now and does not show 2 gear on the indicator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2015 RGS as well and I am on my 4th instrument module(gauge assembly). the dealers continue to replace and tell me not to worry. I can purchase ESP plan. I tell them this isn't a "wear part" and I should not have to worry about a warranty on this. it shouldn't be happening. Waiting to hear how large of a problem this is.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts