Road Glide banner

2015 RGS - no lights or activity in gauges

36K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  Jeff Grace 
#1 · (Edited)
I got caught in the rain on Friday afternoon so Saturday afternoon I took of the bags and washed the bike using a garden hose. I took off the seat and sidepanels and wiped them down and used compressed air to blow the connectors out incase water had gotten into them.,

The bike starts up just fine, the radio/xm/nav works fine. The headlights (hi/low/pass) turn signals/hazards, brake lights work fine.
I can shift through gears and go WOT or putz around town with no issues.

None of the gauges (oil/battery/speed/rpm) light up. none of the gauges show any activity.

I have replaced all 4 fuses (system, P&A, battery, radio) I have replaced the relay for P&A also. I have checked all the connectors under the left and right side panels and blowed air through them to make sure there is no moisture. I have double checked all the connectors under the seat and blown air through all of them.

Still nothing on the gauges :( ... Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do before I take it into the dealer tomorrow morning?

See less See more
#2 ·
Since it's a '15, my suggestion is to have an adult beverage, a good cigar, and let the dealer fix it! why beat your brain over a warranty issue?

Reactions: scooterh72
#4 ·
did you ever think to ASK the TECH when you pick up the bike? Ever since I took my bike in for it's first service, and the tech that did it screwed it up, I asked the service writer, who works on HIS bike? He introduced me to Steve, and he's the only one that touches my bike since. 25000 miles in 12 months of riding, so he's had plenty of opportunity to get to know her. I always ask him what he found and if he sees any trends developing with her. Get to know the service people at your dealer. It's amazing what a friend can and will do for you rather than a stranger. By the way, a 6'er or a fifth at Christmas also buys a lot of good will!

Reactions: scooterh72
#5 ·
I hate electrical gremlins.

What if you were to remove the master fuse, 40 amp I think, disconnect the ECU and disconnect the battery at both terminals. Leave it for say 1/2 hour.

Reconnect the ECU, reconnect the battery and then re install the master fuse.

Also, use a shopvac or similar to vacuum out the fuse areas and places where you have been blowing compressed air, you may have been entrapping moisture in a few spots instead of getting rid of it.

Like I said, I hate electrical gremlins. They are the hardest to diagnose for me anyway.

Good Luck! Keep us informed with what happens.

Calgaryglide.

#6 ·
No luck ... :(:(

I dropped off the bike with the dealer yesterday evening and they'll look at it today. hopefully it is something simple and not something that requires parts getting shipped from HD.

Thanks for your help and I'll update when the bike comes home on what they found.

#7 ·
After looking over all the obvious things, fuses, relays, connections, the guys at the shop are stumped as to why the gauges are dead. They are going to be taking off the fairing and other body parts to trace all the wires. One of the guys said something about doing an connectivity test also ... not sure what he meant by that but I assume they are going to check all cables end to end to verify no hidden breaks in the wire(s).

#9 ·
Bike is back home with a new gauge cluster :):)

I didn't get a chance to speak to the tech as he had left for the day when I picked up the bike but I'll speak to him next time I am there and find out how they diagnosed the issue and what could cause an entire cluster to die

#11 ·
I too lost all gauges and indicators

My gauges, indicators, odometer all quit after riding in a rain storm. The tach and speedometer are both frozen where they were when the incident happened. I am taking the bike in to the dealer on Monday. Also a 2016 Road Glide Special. I did notice water inside both the speedometer and the tach.

#17 ·
Loss of gauges and indication reported to NHTSA

At the suggestion of one of the Hdforums members, I submitted a complaint to the NHTSA this morning to report the loss of all gauges and indication while riding in a rain storm. Harley will not address the issue. Maybe the NHTSA will force their hand. It is not safe to lose the speedometer and all other gauges while riding in a storm. I would encourage all others who have had this issue to do the same!

I got caught in the rain on Friday afternoon so Saturday afternoon I took of the bags and washed the bike using a garden hose. I took off the seat and sidepanels and wiped them down and used compressed air to blow the connectors out incase water had gotten into them.,

The bike starts up just fine, the radio/xm/nav works fine. The headlights (hi/low/pass) turn signals/hazards, brake lights work fine.
I can shift through gears and go WOT or putz around town with no issues.

None of the gauges (oil/battery/speed/rpm) light up. none of the gauges show any activity.

I have replaced all 4 fuses (system, P&A, battery, radio) I have replaced the relay for P&A also. I have checked all the connectors under the left and right side panels and blowed air through them to make sure there is no moisture. I have double checked all the connectors under the seat and blown air through all of them.

Still nothing on the gauges :( ... Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do before I take it into the dealer tomorrow morning?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

#18 ·
8-12-16 saturday, riding back from sturgis to ny ny .. bike sat in heavy rain for 1 hr. overnite . next morning dead gauges all 4 + no cruize. went to my dealer the other day.. dead cluster . it was almost full with water... smells like an issue. hd will replace cluster. dealer near indiana told me they have changed a few.. there is an issue here .. hd says they dont know of this issue... thats bs. i asked mil. if they have corrected this issue.. they say no... same part # hmmmmmm

#20 ·
I have a 2015 RGS as well and I am on my 4th instrument module(gauge assembly). the dealers continue to replace and tell me not to worry. I can purchase ESP plan. I tell them this isn't a "wear part" and I should not have to worry about a warranty on this. it shouldn't be happening. Waiting to hear how large of a problem this is.

#21 ·
Just chiming in to say thanks for the info.

I can confirm the exact same issue on my 16 RGS. Spent a day riding in heavy rain out of town. The next day, the cluster failed. It came back for a couple miles after riding for a couple hours. Then it failed again and hasn't come back since (2 days). At first I thought maybe it was the bars, but I put those on 9k miles ago. Nothing changed since. Ended up riding from Laconia back to Philly with no gauges. It wasn't a problem really. I took back roads, and stopped for gas every 3 hours or so.

In a way it made me think of my first rat bike years ago. Nothing on that thing worked right.

#25 ·
Wow, that's not good, you would think there's a manufacturing problem with the guage and the MOCO would come up with a fix and offer it to all customers having the problem on Rushmore RG'S regardless of being under warranty or not.

#27 ·
3 years and still using the same bad parts. I wonder if 18's are having the problem? I wonder if this is hit and miss ,or will all Rushmore Road glides have this problem after riding in heavy rain?

#30 ·
I have a '16 and have been caught in heavy rains at least three times (maybe more) and haven't had an issue. WTF Glad I have ESP. You'd think something would have been triggered by now to correct the issue. Maybe it is very seldom seen on the majority and is a vendor quality issue that's been addressed. Seems like the 15 & 16 are the chosen ones :(

Reactions: Big_gary
#31 ·
Last summer I got caught in the rain on my 16 RGS, next day gauge cluster was fried. Took 30 days to get a replacement, I was told it was backordered due to a higher demand than HD had anticipated. There is a micro processer in the cluster, no gauges, cruise control or batt. tender.

#33 ·
Went through a shower last week and the next day the gauge cluster & cruise quit on my 2016 RG Special. Set it in the garage with a dehumidifier and fan blowing on it. Checked connections under the covers and fairing, disconnecting them and checking for moisture, checked fuse blocks. After a couple of days the components are coming back to life. Today I turned the ign on and the cluster made a rapid repeated flashing for about 5 seconds then comes on. Am I risking screwing anything else up if I ride it till it cures/craps out. I have a "replace it" dealer vs a "repair it" dealer and cringe at the cost of a new cluster if it is only wet somewhere.

#34 · (Edited)
Went through a shower last week and the next day the gauge cluster & cruise quit on my 2016 RG Special. Set it in the garage with a dehumidifier and fan blowing on it. Checked connections under the covers and fairing, disconnecting them and checking for moisture, checked fuse

blocks. After a couple of days the components are coming back to life. Today I turned the ign on and the cluster made a rapid repeated flashing for about 5 seconds then comes on. Am I risking screwing anything else up if I ride it till it cures/craps out. I have a "replace it" dealer vs a "repair it" dealer and cringe at the cost of a new cluster if it is only wet somewhere.

I can't say for sure if will do any other damage by continuing to ride your glide but in my case, my gauges went out the very next day and I rode my bike while the replacement gauges were on order. It didn't effect my bike in any way. I would however keep an eye on your fuel level while your gauges are on the fritz.

#35 ·
OK mine went out just about at the start on a recent trip to Europe. Continued to do the trip, over 2k miles.
Returned bike back to dealer when we got home, they replaced clocks which worked OK for about 9 miles returning home.
That evening started bike only for the clocks to die again, a blip on the twist grip bought them back to life.
Back to dealer next day, but they were now working OK.

Now been out on 2 rides only for the clocks to keep going out now and then.
Back to dealer, DTC's show when and how often the clocks have died.
Tech' says a wire (not sure which wire) should be less then 1000 ohms but it's showing over 8000 ohms and he dos not know the cause,

It's been going on for 7 weeks now and the bike as been at the dealers for 6 of them, he's due to take another look at it soon.

2016 CVO RGU, 9K miles.

#37 ·
no rain but mine is doing the exact same thing. I rode it last night, went out this morning and nothing, no hand controls, no display. radio comes on and works but I cant control it as either of my hand controls work as does the display. WTF I've had more god damn problems with this bike. 2016 RGS

#38 ·
I've got a 15 RGS and have been in heavy rain several times. Every time I think of this and similar threads. No problems so far at 8k. FYI.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.