Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I recently purchased a 2015 Road Glide Special. For some reason the security system is not arming. It hasn't since I bought it.
I bought it from a car dealer that took it in on trade so I can not ask the original owner about it.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

·
Registered
508 Posts
How do you try to arm it? I have a 17 rgs and my security system is just on I would say. If the fob is not by it the bike will not start. Have you tried leaving the fob in the house and then try turning ignition on? If working nothing should happen, only the odometer should pop up wanting the code bypass. Which brings up a couple things. 1. If it allows u to start, there may be a second fob in a saddlebag or in the glove compartments. 2. You need to youtube how to find the code if it has been changed. 3. Change the code so it is one you know.
Usually if the ignition is off an you push the bike there is a red light that flashes on the speedometer. Even sitting I think it may flash. I hope this helps.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
15's should self arm, as mine does. Just throwing this out, you might want to see if the previous owner unhooked/disconnected the alarm

Reactions: fatfatboy

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Most likely it’s “silent alarm” is on, no alarm speaker is installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My old bike was a 15 rgs, I agree with this post. The alarm siren was an option not standard.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Does the turn signals flash when the bike was turned off and you walk away from bike? I read as the security was not engaging, as anybody could walk up to the bike and start it.
As has been mentioned, the siren does not come standard. You have to add one, as I did to my 08, which became a PITA. It seems like I was always moving the bike in the garage and would set it off.....ofcourse the key fob was in the house. LOL

·
Registered
782 Posts
If the previous owner did not assign a PIN or fobs, the security is disabled. With it disabled, you would not need a fob to start the bike. The only way to check for a PIN and to make sure the fobs you have are assigned is to go to your local dealership and have them hook up their Digital Tech laptop.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Hi all.
I recently purchased a 2015 Road Glide Special. For some reason the security system is not arming. It hasn't since I bought it.
I bought it from a car dealer that took it in on trade so I can not ask the original owner about it.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
Time to read up Newbie

https://www.roadglide.org/29-do-yourself/251-add-siren-your-factory-security-$6.html

This is one of the best, cheapest mod you can do on your 2015 RGS

I added two sirens on mine 3 years ago and it’s still working great

Swomack

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I walk away the lights do not flash and there is no security flashing on the dash. I tried leaving the fob in he house and still no change.
As a mater of fact what made me think of it was I rode the bike to the dealer to look at windshields. When leaving I realized I had left the key at home and thought I was screwed. The bike started no problems.

I was thinking that maybe the last owner had set code to enable it but I have not found away for that to be done.
Or maybe he did unhook the alarm. I will try and find the alarm and check that.

Upon thinking about it last night I am thinking, as some of you have suggested, that there is another fob tucked up somewhere. I only received one with the bike. So I'm hoping that is the answer and I can find it.

Anyone have a fob sniffing dog I could borrow?

·
Registered
782 Posts
When I walk away the lights do not flash and there is no security flashing on the dash. I tried leaving the fob in he house and still no change.
As a mater of fact what made me think of it was I rode the bike to the dealer to look at windshields. When leaving I realized I had left the key at home and thought I was screwed. The bike started no problems.

I was thinking that maybe the last owner had set code to enable it but I have not found away for that to be done.
Or maybe he did unhook the alarm. I will try and find the alarm and check that.

Upon thinking about it last night I am thinking, as some of you have suggested, that there is another fob tucked up somewhere. I only received one with the bike. So I'm hoping that is the answer and I can find it.

Anyone have a fob sniffing dog I could borrow?
There is no way to unhook the alarm. It is integrated into the BCM. Yes you can add a siren but that is an option, not standard. There is no fob tucked somewhere in the bike because if there was, the lights would still flash at ignition off and you would still see the red lightning blinking in your instrument cluster.

Receiving only 1 fob with a used bike is not uncommon. At the dealership where I work, we get that a lot with trade-ins.

Reactions: Bruce00 and RGKen

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If you can start the bike without the fob and without entering a code, then I would say something is definitely not right!

Reactions: Swomack

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Was the 'alarm' an option in '15?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reactions: Swomack

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you can start the bike without the fob and without entering a code, then I would say something is definitely not right!
That is what I'm afraid of. I'm leaving for a week long trip this weekend and would sleep a lot better at the hotels knowing the alarm is working.
I've never heard of an alarm on an HD going out.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It is a factory option but typically if you have the 6.5 radio and not the 4.3, you have security from the factory. You can disable it with a dealership laptop (not sure why you would) inside the BCM but nothing is physically removed or cut

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everything I've seen shows the RG Specials came with a security. It has a fob so surely it has to have one.
I'm just not sure where to look. I haven't got a manual yet.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
That is what I'm afraid of. I'm leaving for a week long trip this weekend and would sleep a lot better at the hotels knowing the alarm is working.
I've never heard of an alarm on an HD going out.
Leave your key fob inside the house, far away from the bike. Then go out and try to start it. What happens?

If there is not another fob on the bike (check saddlebags, under the seat, in the side panels, in the glove boxes), then you've got a problem.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Leave your key fob inside the house, far away from the bike. Then go out and try to start it. What happens?

If there is not another fob on the bike (check saddlebags, under the seat, in the side panels, in the glove boxes), then you've got a problem.
I actually road the bike into work without the key fob.
At lunch I went out and removed bags, side covers and seat and did some poking around. If the fobs in there it's hidden pretty good.
I called the dealer to ask them about the laptop thing that was mentioned and I got,, "well you'll have to bring it in and more than likely we'll have to replace the whole alarm system, the marker light module, the yada, yada, yada."

I remembered today that I do have an alarmed disc lock I can use for my trip but I do want to get the alarm working as it should.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I actually road the bike into work without the key fob.
At lunch I went out and removed bags, side covers and seat and did some poking around. If the fobs in there it's hidden pretty good.
I called the dealer to ask them about the laptop thing that was mentioned and I got,, "well you'll have to bring it in and more than likely we'll have to replace the whole alarm system, the marker light module, the yada, yada, yada."

I remembered today that I do have an alarmed disc lock I can use for my trip but I do want to get the alarm working as it should.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dIIqYXgT5pg

Found this on a different model. I don't have my manual at home right now so I can't look. But when deciding between the STD or the special one salesman said the security could be disabled. I am no expert but I would think trying what the video shows is worth a shot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
If your hazards don't flash within 5 seconds or so after you turn the bike off then the security system must have been disabled in the ECM. It will do this even if there is a FOB nearby as Crazy4ink stated. Does it have the security system antenna under the seat? If that is missing too then I'm sure the system has been disabled. Could still have it and still be disabled but if it's not there then there is nothing to receive the signal from the FOB. The easiest thing would be to take it to the dealership and let them hook it up to digital tech to see what is installed and if it just need to be turned on and re-linked to the FOB.

The long square thing it the middle is the antenna.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts