Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the bags off to take a look to see if I could make a lowering kit work on the RG (dealer said they have installed them on the 2015 specials without a problem... I doubt it based on my attempt and the springs contacting the bags)

Anyway, I noticed the shocks seem to be installed opposite of each other, the adjustable on the left side is correct with the knob on top and the shaft down but on the right side the shock has the shaft pointing upwards. Can anyone confirm that is the case on their, seems sort of backwards to me having the shaft of the shock facing opposite directions. Thanks

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
You can always check part numbers. If directional, they'll have different part numbers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the bags off to take a look to see if I could make a lowering kit work on the RG (dealer said they have installed them on the 2015 specials without a problem... I doubt it based on my attempt and the springs contacting the bags)

Anyway, I noticed the shocks seem to be installed opposite of each other, the adjustable on the left side is correct with the knob on top and the shaft down but on the right side the shock has the shaft pointing upwards. Can anyone confirm that is the case on their, seems sort of backwards to me having the shaft of the shock facing opposite directions. Thanks
On mine the knob on the left is on the top with the spring on the bottom and the right side shock has the spring on the bottom and the reservoir on the top. Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I will have to check mine when I pick it up later this week. Do you think that is odd that the dealer did not pick that up before delivering you the bike?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I will have to check mine when I pick it up later this week. Do you think that is odd that the dealer did not pick that up before delivering you the bike?
IMO they probably don't look at the bike that close to notice something like a shock upside down. Quality in the factory is suppose pick something like that up.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
You guys get this figured out!???

This is down rite Ingnorant!

I thought Harley did Drug Tests in these Factorys!???

Thats way Worse than workn at Meijer for 28 years, dropn a Jar of Mayonaise, getn sent for a Drug Test, and Failn It! ,...loosen ur Job after that and all ur Pension , Profit Sharing and Benefits for Life!

geeeeeeez!

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is a bulletin out on this. If your quick detach stuff is hard to put on check the position of the shock. Mine was on upside down and back rest was a bitch to put on. Dealer showed me the bulletin and turned shock around, all is good now.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
2015 RGS Shocks

As what has been stated and per my new manual on page: 2-79 it states:
"Manual adjust shock absorbers: Install both with the rod end down". My right shock is on upside down. Does anyone know the bulletin number from HD on this? I would love to mention that to the dealer when I go back.
Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same problem with the quick detachable luggage rack and backrest being too tight and a pain to get on and off. One post here talks about the connectors being oval or egg shape so you can turn them to loosen and tighten as needed, mine are round so that was ruled out. Saw this post so went to look at my shocks. According to what I'm reading here my right shock is on upside down too, see picture. I plan to turn it over later today and see if that will fix my rack. Still waiting on my 2015 Service Manual so thanks for posting the info.

right shock.jpg

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
2015 RGS Shocks

Can someone tell me the torque for the shock bolts, thanks.
Per my maint manual: 35-40 ft-lbs along with the blue 243 medium threadlocker and sealant.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts