Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Kenwood 100x4 amp and a pair RF 6.5 in the fairing. Very simple install and sounds amazing (compared to stock). The only issue is that when I turn the bike on, the speakers emit 2 distinct popping sounds. Once the HU cycles through its screens and the radio actually comes on, everything is fine.
The ground is secure and I've triple checked all connections. I have not had the dealer flash the radio because they told me it was only necessary if I were adding speakers.
Anyone out there experience this yet?

·
Registered
34 Posts
So the question remains, how do you get the dealer to flash the radio. Is there a way to convince them that it is necessary. Also, do we even know which flash is best?

·
Registered
135 Posts
So the question remains, how do you get the dealer to flash the radio. Is there a way to convince them that it is necessary. Also, do we even know which flash is best?
As far as I know, there is only one flash and the dealer has to imput the set up you have. I understand the dealers will charge or at least some do because it's not a warranty issue. The Cycle Sounds Magic Box does the same thing and you can remove if you go back to stock, ie...sell your bike.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As far as I know, there is only one flash and the dealer has to imput the set up you have. I understand the dealers will charge or at least some do because it's not a warranty issue. The Cycle Sounds Magic Box does the same thing and you can remove if you go back to stock, ie...sell your bike.

I've read of too many issues with the Magic Box. I am going with the dealer flash. I am not for sure, but I believe the audiophile I have entrusted all my faith in says to flash for 8 speakers - amp 1 and 2 off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FIXED IT!
Apparently there was no need to have the remote wire hooked up. There is a sensor in the amp that will turn it on and off with the radio. Disconnected it, problem solved. No flash required.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I may be wrong, but I am of the understanding that if you install an amp you will need either a dealer flash or the magic box in order to realize the full potential of your new system. You either have to disable the DSP via the flash or trick it via the magic box.

It is also my understanding that if you use the dealer flash it will drop the output voltage of the stock HU enough that the high level output WILL NOT turn the amp on automatically and the remote power wire will then be required.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may be wrong, but I am of the understanding that if you install an amp you will need either a dealer flash or the magic box in order to realize the full potential of your new system. You either have to disable the DSP via the flash or trick it via the magic box.

It is also my understanding that if you use the dealer flash it will drop the output voltage of the stock HU enough that the high level output WILL NOT turn the amp on automatically and the remote power wire will then be required.
My dealer told me that the flash was only required if I were adding additional speakers. If a flash is required with an amp install, i'm confused as to why because my setup sounds great. No complaints thus far.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My dealer told me that the flash was only required if I were adding additional speakers. If a flash is required with an amp install, i'm confused as to why because my setup sounds great. No complaints thus far.
It's confusing all around. My friend's didn't sound that good, at least to me, until I put the magic box on. Big difference in the sound after that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Your dealer wouldn't know. Dealers or the MoCo don't know chit about this new Infotainment system. They should have figured out the damn system BEFORE they released it. All they know is what it takes to make their Boom crap work and that is by design because they are trying to force folks into buying that junk. Iron Cross is refusing to work on them so far because of it. Rockford Fosgate is actually the ones who figured out what flash was needed to make the system work properly with aftermarket upgrades.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just installed a Kenwood 100x4 amp and a pair RF 6.5 in the fairing. Very simple install and sounds amazing (compared to stock). The only issue is that when I turn the bike on, the speakers emit 2 distinct popping sounds. Once the HU cycles through its screens and the radio actually comes on, everything is fine.
The ground is secure and I've triple checked all connections. I have not had the dealer flash the radio because they told me it was only necessary if I were adding speakers.
Anyone out there experience this yet?
although all good suggestions, I fail to see where anyone asked the most obvious question.

1. yes you want to have the dealer flash your head unit for 8 speakers and turn amps 1 and 2 off.
2. where is your ground for your amp attached to the bike?
3. your dealer obviously knows nothing of this infotainment system. You don't need a flash IF you're ONLY changing speakers. Add an amp in the mix and it MUST be flashed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
although all good suggestions, I fail to see where anyone asked the most obvious question.

1. yes you want to have the dealer flash your head unit for 8 speakers and turn amps 1 and 2 off.
Sorry NutZ. I'm still trying to complete my apprenticeship. :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just for the record, that magic box is junk just like most of the other stuff from CS. Flash the head unit and be done with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

3. your dealer obviously knows nothing of this infotainment system. You don't need a flash IF you're ONLY changing speakers. Add an amp in the mix and it MUST be flashed.
I guess what I'd really like to know is what flashing my HU is going to do before I go down to the dealer and pay $45 for them to do it.
My setup is louder and clearer then it was before and everything is functioning normally.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I guess what I'd really like to know is what flashing my HU is going to do before I go down to the dealer and pay $45 for them to do it.
My setup is louder and clearer then it was before and everything is functioning normally.
http://www.roadglide.org/showpost.php?p=2453378&postcount=4

did you fix your popping issue? I'm relatively certain a head unit flash is not going to correct that issue as it sounds like a ground loop.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Say's you...
I guess I should have been a little more subtle, my bad.. was just wound up about another issue here.

What I should have said was that the flash and the "box" do completely separate things in relation to the audio output. The flash is available in multiple different variations so there is in fact more than 1 as you stated above. The "box" does nothing more than manipulate the audio output of the headunit, it doesn't fix it and in fact what most have experienced is the complete loss of the lower end frequencies when using it. The only "fix" is to disable it altogether unless you're dealing with something like the Arc/J&M DSP programmable amp. But then again you get into another issue with this amp setup that limits your volume control.

So you never have to go back to the dealer when you change things, your best option is flash it once for;

8 speakers
amp 1 off
amp 2 off
fader active.

this turns off the DSP
enables all speaker outputs
enables fader

1 - 20 of 57 Posts