Road Glide banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st post here all.. Been browsing for a while planning for new bike. Just traded my 2012 Switchback for an Amber Whiskey RGS. Should take delivery in 2-3 weeks.
I am putting Power Dual Head pipes and V&H HO mufflers on. Here is my question. I was understanding that the new Rushmore upgrades had the high air flow breather basically equivalent to a stage 1. But dealer is telling me I need to change breather and put a tuner in if I change head pipes? Are they just increasing sales here or is that the case?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
The stock A/C doesn't flow enough air so you will need to upgrade. If you change the exhaust and intake you will definitely need a tuner. Making all those changes without a tuner is pointless and would cause the engine to run lean.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
1st post here all.. Been browsing for a while planning for new bike. Just traded my 2012 Switchback for an Amber Whiskey RGS. Should take delivery in 2-3 weeks.
I am putting Power Dual Head pipes and V&H HO mufflers on. Here is my question. I was understanding that the new Rushmore upgrades had the high air flow breather basically equivalent to a stage 1. But dealer is telling me I need to change breather and put a tuner in if I change head pipes? Are they just increasing sales here or is that the case?

Thanks!!
On the breather, the new breather is still not as open as the stage 1 breather kit. There is a backing plate on the new breather and the stage 1 does not have one, which is one of the big differences. You will get better air flow from the stage 1 breather kit (I just installed one and compared the differences when making the change).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!! Makes sense and validates what they told me. Had seen a couple YouTube reviews that seem to contradict this.

Will do a better introduction of myself and bike once I get her home!!

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
If you do a exhaust mod and a intake mod then you can just get the ECM re-flashed and not have to buy a tuner. The re-flash will get the bike in the ballpark and it should run fine. If you go with a tuner then the dealer should dyno tune the bike but there will be a additional $300 to $500 cost for the dyno tune.
If you just do a exhaust mod then no tuner or re-flash is needed.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Since you're buying the V&H mufflers, also buy the V&H Fuel Pak3 tuner. It's very easy to install and program and you can save big $ over what the dealer will charge you. It will make the engine run richer, you'll have significantly increased performance, the head pipe will probably run cooler and you will also probably get better gas mileage if you keep off the throttle. You don't need a dyno unless you are going to run it at the track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.