Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question but I'm currently deployed and I'm far, far away from my bike. In preparation for my return home, I'm trying to have all the goodies waiting for me that I want to put on my bike, one of those being a new seat. For comparison purposes, I'm wondering what is the width of the stock seat on the 2015/2016 RGS?? Thanks, guys!!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Stupid question but I'm currently deployed and I'm far, far away from my bike. In preparation for my return home, I'm trying to have all the goodies waiting for me that I want to put on my bike, one of those being a new seat. For comparison purposes, I'm wondering what is the width of the stock seat on the 2015/2016 RGS?? Thanks, guys!!
Well, i couldnt find out exactly, but the Badlander seat, which is HD's most low profile seat is 13" rider width. The Hammock seat, which is HD's biggest and cushiest seat is 17.5".
Most all touring seats are around 13",13.5" to 16.5". My guess on the stock seat is 15" width. it is a lower profile seat.

Not sure what you are wanting to get. Apparently the newer model ('15 and Up) stock seats are much more comfortable than the previous models(2013 and earlier) stock seats.
The narrower the front of the seat is what allows you to reach the ground easier. Hammock seat sits you higher and more on top of the bike as it has a couple extra inches of foam. Badlander seats etc. are designed to sit you down in the bike.

You might be comfortable with the stock seat. And Harley has a demo program now where you can borrow a seat before you buy it. So, ya may want to hold off on purchasing a new seat.
If you ride 2 up, your passenger may not be crazy about the passenger section of the seat on a stock one, and in that case, you are looking at getting a Sundowner, Hammock, or aftermarket seat.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
15 1/2 " at the widest part.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, i couldnt find out exactly, but the Badlander seat, which is HD's most low profile seat is 13" rider width. The Hammock seat, which is HD's biggest and cushiest seat is 17.5".
Most all touring seats are around 13",13.5" to 16.5". My guess on the stock seat is 15" width. it is a lower profile seat.

Not sure what you are wanting to get. Apparently the newer model ('15 and Up) stock seats are much more comfortable than the previous models(2013 and earlier) stock seats.
The narrower the front of the seat is what allows you to reach the ground easier. Hammock seat sits you higher and more on top of the bike as it has a couple extra inches of foam. Badlander seats etc. are designed to sit you down in the bike.

You might be comfortable with the stock seat. And Harley has a demo program now where you can borrow a seat before you buy it. So, ya may want to hold off on purchasing a new seat.
If you ride 2 up, your passenger may not be crazy about the passenger section of the seat on a stock one, and in that case, you are looking at getting a Sundowner, Hammock, or aftermarket seat.

Good luck!
Thanks, DED! I've had my bike for a little over a year, I'm just far from it, currently. I tried a Saddlemen Road Sofa LS and it was awful. I put about 1500-2000 miles on it and I went back to the stock seat. It's not that great for long rides but it's better than the Saddlemen. I am considering a solo but just want to know where the stock seat stands size-wise. I may look into these demos. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Thanks, DED! I've had my bike for a little over a year, I'm just far from it, currently. I tried a Saddlemen Road Sofa LS and it was awful. I put about 1500-2000 miles on it and I went back to the stock seat. It's not that great for long rides but it's better than the Saddlemen. I am considering a solo but just want to know where the stock seat stands size-wise. I may look into these demos. Thanks again!
New Seats usually take awhile to break-in, and get used to it.

I had my stock seat modified at Mean City Cycles, and am happy with the mods they did to it. I also have a Sundowner for the long trips 2 -up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts