Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after a month of owning it I finally got it back from the dealer and it is complete except for some other minor changes I am making to speakers, amp, intake, header, tuner. I know I asked a lot of questions about adding a tourpak with wrap around light and speaker pods. It took almost exactly a month to get the color matched king tourpak from harley and over a week to get them to wire everything and install it( yeah, they are kind of slow) but I did get a list of all items that were used and I will be posting it over the next few days so others will have the information. I have learned more about this than the actual dealer people and I will be happy to share any knowledge if I can help you, because there are a lot of issues that will come up when you do this, even those that the dealer does not know about. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More pics

A few more. I changed the seat to a Sundowner, for the wife. There is a small gap between the seat and the tourpak that exposes the wiring harnesses and plugs. You can add the small pad to cover that up if you choose. I am waiting on the number for it so I don't have it yet. There are definitely problems with adding aftermarket speakers to the rear pods because they are not deep at all. You have to have adapters that space the speakers out or get some made for the new rushmore pods. I currently have the front speakers in mine with Polk MM651 covers on them(MM651 will not come close to fitting down in the pods plus you have the crossovers to deal with too). You also have to make sure to use the speaker adapter rings on most speakers if you use aftermarket grills because they are not flush to the pods and the wellnuts will pull out and you might actually lose your speakers while you are riding down the road. ( Ask me how I know this! Almost happened to me.) Harley dealers don't care to take time and make sure things are done correctly if it doesn't plug right in and say "Harley Davidson" on it.
If you have any questions, let me know and I will help all I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Are you going to add the lowers and speakers? Good job!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was busy typing. I haven't decided yet. I have 2 new sets of Polk MM651 and a set of Infinity Kappa 62.11i. I am debating on whether to order the spacer rings and grills and using one of these or getting the Hogtunes Gen 3 6.5" speakers, I haven't decided. Will definitely be doing an amp.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
3,967 Posts
.... It took ....over a week to get them to wire everything and install it....
...... i stopped into PPHD to check on the cost of adding a TP to a Custom & the parts guy told me that service dept said they wouldn't even do it as it required a whole bunch of hard wiring.
..... i'd'a imagined there'd be a supplemental harness to plug in, but everyone said no.
....... ended up quoting me $650 in labor to add a King TP w/lights to a Custom
.... was a $4000 total w/o speakers
....... gawd i hope they build an Ultra/LTD next year

·
Registered
329 Posts
No lowers, really don't like them too much. Actually have an old set I need to sell along with about 100 other items.
Are your lowers HD or aftermarket ones? What didn't you like about them?

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Looks good but it isn't a ULTRA unless it has Fairing Lowers. Put Lowers on it you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
This looks great! Congrats and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Very nice. Is the TP removable? I think I would've gone with speakers in the saddle bags with a quick connect TP. I don't like lowers either, I bought a pair of soft lowers and put them on when I need them. Once again, nice job.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quick answers

Okay, a few questions I wanted to answer and touch base.
The lowers I have are for the 1998 RG that I recently sold and I don't plan on using them, besides I don't think they fit the 2015. I just really don't like them and the added heat in the summer. I do plan to add the pad under the tourpak backrest just so it covers all the wires. I did do the removable kit so I can remove the tourpak if I choose, it really is a no brainer if you are adding a tourpak. I am still waiting on Harley to send me some of my leftover parts and some part numbers so I can post the items needed to do this. As far as the wiring, you will have to make a connector harness to connect the lighting for the tourpak if you plan to put lights on it. It is not really that complicated, I took a look at it and it is basically a jumper just like the other add on accessory lights you can put on the bike that plugs in line from the main harness to the fender harness. For those who are familiar with the older bikes, there was a harness sold by Namz that would do it but I don't know if they have it for the 2015 RG yet. When I get my list, I will decide whether or not I will start making some of these for you guys.
The new shocks suck in my opinion. Once you add the tourpak, you are supposed to crank them down several turns based on weight and so far this thing rides like a rock. Missing the stock air shocks from my 1998RG right now. Considering the new system that replaces them with Corvette air shocks with compressor system. Also, definitely planning to add an amp. If you are adding rear speaker pods to your bike, buy HD 69200489 which is a rear speaker harness that plugs into the stereo connector under the fairing for the rear speakers and runs to the rear speaker harness that comes with the pod kit. I taped my power wire to it before I took it to Harley to install so I would not have to remove my tank and run it later(they had to do it anyway, why not save yourself time and a potential headache if they are doing your install). Not 100% sure what amp I plan to use yet, will update when that happens. Still debating on rear speaker spacer kit or ones made for pods. Ordered a 12" Windvest smoke windshield that will be here next week. As you all know, they are a work in progress until you get what you are happy with. Thanks for watching the thread.
Nick

·
Registered
641 Posts
...... i stopped into PPHD to check on the cost of adding a TP to a Custom & the parts guy told me that service dept said they wouldn't even do it as it required a whole bunch of hard wiring.
..... i'd'a imagined there'd be a supplemental harness to plug in, but everyone said no.
....... ended up quoting me $650 in labor to add a King TP w/lights to a Custom
.... was a $4000 total w/o speakers
....... gawd i hope they build an Ultra/LTD next year
What the ^@%$&#*$???

There is usually a harness under the seat you can connect to. If not, you can buy the connectors and build your own harness. All you need is run, brake, and turn. 650 in labor is beyond stupid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.