Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI All

This is the initial or break-in tune on this bike. I'll be headed back to the dealer for the 1000 mile service and full dyno tune.

Even as it is I'm very happy:

116HP and 118TQ :grin:

https://goo.gl/photos/CVp651vHEQoPngLH8

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Just curious as to why they could do this power run for those numbers and not go ahead and do a full dyno tune...? Doesn't make much sense to me. The bike would benefit more from being fully tuned at that point IMO.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Just curious as to why they could do this power run for those numbers and not go ahead and do a full dyno tune...? Doesn't make much sense to me. The bike would benefit more from being fully tuned at that point IMO.

I would assume it was the OP's choice after being properly advised by his tuner. With that few miles, he may have just wanted to see where he stood. Dyno'ing an engine that early is super stressful. I wouldn't be surprised if he had engine trouble later on due to just this # check.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I would assume it was the OP's choice after being properly advised by his tuner. With that few miles, he may have just wanted to see where he stood. Dyno'ing an engine that early is super stressful. I wouldn't be surprised if he had engine trouble later on due to just this # check.

This was actually my point but I don't believe the motor needs 1k miles to break in. So IF he was properly advised by his tuner he should have been advised not to do this run for numbers and wait until it had some miles on it.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
This was actually my point but I don't believe the motor needs 1k miles to break in. So IF he was properly advised by his tuner he should have been advised not to do this run for numbers and wait until it had some miles on it.

That's kinda my assumption too. I can't see a credible tuner advising to run the bike that hard, that soon, but a tuner will do whatever you pay him to do as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys

I guess iI could have been clearer in my initial post, :)

This was a single pull to get a feel for the engine after the build. The bike had almost 80 miles on it by then.

I have full confidence in the dealer and their customer support, not to mention the warranty.

The dealer builds multiple 120R engines a month and I talked to the engine builder enough to trust that he knows what he is doing.

The reason vfor waiting until the 1000 miles service to do the full dyno tune is that I live 300 miles from them and I wanted to get some riding done. :)

As is, the engine runs smooth, no rough spots, etc... And far more butt dyno power than my last bike even though the engine is slightly smaller than it was.

I'll be headed back the weekend of the 15th to get that done.

I'll update this post then with that chart.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Glad to hear. Didn't mean to sound like I was busting your chops but didn't make since to me why he would do a power run that soon and not do a more detailed tune. Sounds like he kinda did that after all. What exhaust are you running with your ST? Can't wait to see your numbers to see where it's at. I can tell you from my own experience that the 120ST is a lot better than what most want to give it credit for. The 259E cams seem to be a good everyday touring came for that motor. My old 110" with the 255 cams doesn't even compare to the 120ST. Of courese you can always do better down the road if needed. ;) Good luck!

K-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi RGKen

No problem, I'm running the black ceramic D&D Boarzilla, love that low rumble. :)

I like the default cams, especially after seeing that torque curve. I'm mainly into the long distance touring so the factory cams should be fine for me for the foreseeable future.

:)

Reactions: Khaotic

·
Registered
2,931 Posts

Every Harley engine from the factory already is put on a dyno for testing before it ever goes on the bike. I've seen video of the process and they do take them up quite high in rpm's in the process. That's to check for any problems with the engine before they go into the bike. I dyno'd mine with less than 120 miles on it with my new cam and pipes.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Every Harley engine from the factory already is put on a dyno for testing before it ever goes on the bike. I've seen video of the process and they do take them up quite high in rpm's in the process. That's to check for any problems with the engine before they go into the bike. I dyno'd mine with less than 120 miles on it with my new cam and pipes.

I guess your point is that you can physically dyno a bike at any time. True. No one is disputing that. Just that #1) The dyno will produce a more accurate performance result if the bike has been properly broken in, although when exactly that is isn't exactly the same for every bike and 2) If you're gonna put the bike through it that early, you may as well "fully" tune it so you don't have to pay or put the bike through it again.

But the OP pretty detailed in how it went down. Answered all of my questions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, just got back from dealer. 1256 miles for the service. Also ran full tune on dyno. Numbers barely changed, biggest difference was that the temperature was 8 degrees cooler on this run.

Final numbers: 117hp, 116.5tq.

https://goo.gl/photos/sTg2d2w9RvvYc3sN7

So my conclusion is that the cam used in this motor is what is holding it back, which is what the MoCo wanted.

But even with that being said, I still haven't been able to use all the power available in this setup. i doubt I've even used more than 60-70% of the throttle.

Some stats from this trip:

Roll-on in 5th gear from 60 to 80 is 2.5 seconds.

Cruising in 6th, at 75 mph, engine is turning at 2750 rpm.

Mileage: my calculations show average of 42mpg. Bike computer shows 45.6mpg. Average speed was 72.

So count me as a happy member of the Road Glide community!

Reactions: Swomack

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sammie, Glad to hear you're happy with the set-up. I've got the 120ST in mine, and have it in for the 1000 mile/SERT tune now. However, the dealers Dyno in down for a part, so I'm in the wait mode.:frown:

Tom

·
Registered
365 Posts
Why would they do that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Yes or size.
He is using the SE Extreme Billet Ventilator according to his sig so there is nothing wrong with the size. He would need a much larger engine or many other performance upgrades to have that A/C restrict the airflow. That one is as open as the Heavy Breather so I seriously doubt that is an issue.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts