Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am sitting here bikeless. I sold my Victory with the intention of buying the new 2019 RGU (scorched Orange/Denim Black) that comes with the stock 117. Of course I was likely to upgrade the engine to either a stage 2 or stage 3... But the dealerships can't even order the 2019 RGU for me. Something crazy about the custom colors aren't even able to be ordered. Some dealerships will just get random special models sent to them. So at best I probably wouldn't be able to even get/ride a new 2019 until March or April (since I live in Michigan)...

Also, I had to temporarily cancel a bike trip to Bike, Blues and BBQ in AR at the end of the month because I don't currently have a bike. I'm kinda getting bike fever (it's kinda like cabin fever but that huge itch to ride since I don't currently have a bike)...

So I started looking around on cycletrader to see if there are any other nice orange and black road glides... Well the only one that I am interested in is the orange and black 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra. The 3 I found have 3k, 5k, and 7k miles and are all in the $25k-ish range. So some people just dropped over $40k on these a few years ago and now I could pick one up for about $10k less than the new 2019 RGU that I've been considering (because I'd need to put nothing in the 2015 CVOs off the bat). In fact one of the 2015s has the extended warranty / service plan through 2021... and they all come with the screamin eagle 110ci....

I'm wondering.. am I just 'settling' for a 2015, or am I really getting as good of deal as I think I'm getting if I decide to pick up a 2015 CVO RGU and ride that for a couple years? I feel like if the 2019 was available, I'd order it for $10k more, but the 2015 CVO RGU still looks pretty f--kin sweet and would likely hold it's value pretty well for a couple years...

If you had to choose, would you get the 2015? Or would you try to be patient and wait for a 2019?

All thoughts are welcome. I won't get offended... lol ... lay it on me! :surprise:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I own a 2016 CVO RGU and wish I had waited one more year to buy.
If it were me I would call around and find the one you REALLY want and then figure out how to get it home, there’s still time to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I own a 15 CVORGU and LOVE it. But I’ve had some issues w my 110 (moco very graciously gave me a new long block a couple months ago - 23k on the bike) and the new M8’s are definitely a smoother motor.

I think you hit the nail on the head w the $$$ savings. I bought mine used instead of a new 18 and have been very happy. I’m surprised how much I’ve enjoyed all the CVO doodads that I didn’t need & never would have paid for. Didn’t think my butt and a CVO would ever meet : ). Now I’m debating should I think about a 19RGU for engine reliability but then think I’ll watch the new ones for a while and see how they go. If my new engine holds together I’ll be happy for a loooong time.

Great question - I’ll be watching this thread!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I own a 2016 CVO RGU and wish I had waited one more year to buy.
If it were me I would call around and find the one you REALLY want and then figure out how to get it home, there’s still time to ride.
The 2019 does seem to be the one I want, but it's not available anywhere nationwide. And there's no telling when it could become available. On the other hand I could snag that 2015 CVO RGU and ride. It would probably hold it's value well enough to easily resell or trade-in next year or the year after. One of them has a warranty through 2021 (in case I fall in love with it)...

I guess I'm a geek... overthinking the sh** out of this. lol :nerd:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I own a 15 CVORGU and LOVE it. But I’ve had some issues w my 110 (moco very graciously gave me a new long block a couple months ago - 23k on the bike) and the new M8’s are definitely a smoother motor.

I think you hit the nail on the head w the $$$ savings. I bought mine used instead of a new 18 and have been very happy. I’m surprised how much I’ve enjoyed all the CVO doodads that I didn’t need & never would have paid for. Didn’t think my butt and a CVO would ever meet : ). Now I’m debating should I think about a 19RGU for engine reliability but then think I’ll watch the new ones for a while and see how they go. If my new engine holds together I’ll be happy for a loooong time.

Great question - I’ll be watching this thread!
That's the other thing. It would cost far less for the 2015 CVO RGU...

From stories I heard, I'm not so sure the M8 is that much more reliable. Some people on here have had engine issues. Youtuber, Adam Sandoval, with all SE-only upgrades blew his M8 engine and has to get a new one... So either way I consider it a MUST to get the extended warranty. Luckily one of 2015 CVO RGUs I'm looking at also has the extended service plan through 2021 (another reason I'm considering that).

·
Registered
39 Posts
You live in MI, you have about one more month of riding, maybe 1.5 (I know it was high 80’s yesterday but that’s not normal). If it were me, I’d take my time and get what you want, not what’s convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Personally, I won't buy a M8 until they straighten out the engine and transmission issues. That goes double for a questionable paint job. Way too expensive to put up with that [email protected] from Harley Davidson. The paint on my used 09 Orange Mirage Pearl RG peeled off the fenders. The front was so corroded under the paint that it had to be replaced. It was out of warranty and I was the 2nd owner, so Harley refused to take responsibility. Think carefully before committing to a potential problematic purchase.
Personally, I'd look for a Rushmore 103HO and wait for Harley to figure out their problems. I replaced the lifters and pushrods and I'm good to go. My 103HO is quiet, smooth, and gets out of it's own way with a Stage 1. My $0.02 only.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I own a '15 FLTRUSE Autumn Sunset/Carbon Dust, similar to that you are considering. Of the FLTUSE's I like this color better than the other options and see it a whole lot less than the red or gray colored bikes. I love my bike, and would NOT consider switching it for a new M8 CVO (or not-CVO) for these reasons:

1) Don't think the M8 has proven itself to be a reliable engine
2) Not fond of the new color schemes and lack of chrome. (Don't get me wrong, some are in love with the gunship gray from last year and some think the new colors are awesome. I think they are boring and HD should hire a new color team).
3) My 110 with a TTS100 cam, TTS tuner, FM 2-1-2 header and Fullsac cores and tune by Doc (cost approx $2,000 extra) has similar performance to the stock 117 and great low end torque (thanks to the cam and fullsac cores)
4) I bought the '15 with pre-owned from a dealer after it took the typical initial depreciation hit and could probably get close to what I paid for it, should I re-sell it right now.
5) Cant buy a CVO RGU, so I'd have to get a RG and then add the tourpack, etc (not sure how that would work with the remote control locking system)

Now for the "counterpoint":
1) My 110 did self destruct at approx 42,000K. Fortunately, I had an ESP and the motor has been replaced. When the new engine was installed, the lifters were swapped for S&S premiums. I would recommend anyone with a 110 to consider doing this! On the other hand, I've read about quite a few M8's that have been replaced due to sumping issues, so who knows)
2) Doesn't have the latest touch-screen radio. Not sure what that means to me in terms of value....
3) Suspension changes on the new bike, supposedly improve over the '15. But again, not sure it's all that much better. You'd have to speak with a buddy of mine that just scrapped his 18 suspension and re-did it with Ohins.

These are just my thoughts and opinions. I'm sure there will be many who feel otherwise. Good luck with your search and no matter which one you get, I'd suggest the extended wty or ESP on any of these bikes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I own the 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra you describe. It’s a comfortable bike, but the 110 engine (at least the 2015 model) has a history of lifter failure, so an extended warranty is recommended. I just turned 24K and haven’t had any mechanical issues. The paint is soft and prone to showing blemishes, especially on the gas tank where your knees frequently rub.

Would I do another CVO? Probably not, I only need about half the gadgets it offers. If I were in your shoes, I would buy a non-CVO for the transition bike, as there is a surplus of those available that can be bought right. Then wait to buy the bike you really want!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I’ve got the same bike, love it, now would I consider trading it for a newer one ? I don’t know, I’ve got over 30k on mine now and it’s been a great ride, would have to be one helluva deal for me to switch. I do like the new infotainment system on the 19’s though. Only you can decide what works for you, if you buy the 15 now, you’ll get some more rides in this year, then if you really want the 19, trade in the spring, or keep it and enjoy that fine ride !! flhman

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've read that the new infotainment system is still woefully underpowered. You're gonna have to amp it still. Sounds like another half baked improvement to me. Harley seems to specialize in that. The Rushmore platform was a huge improvement. Now back to the same old same old.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I own a '15 FLTRUSE Autumn Sunset/Carbon Dust, similar to that you are considering. Of the FLTUSE's I like this color better than the other options and see it a whole lot less than the red or gray colored bikes. I love my bike, and would NOT consider switching it for a new M8 CVO (or not-CVO) for these reasons:

1) Don't think the M8 has proven itself to be a reliable engine
2) Not fond of the new color schemes and lack of chrome. (Don't get me wrong, some are in love with the gunship gray from last year and some think the new colors are awesome. I think they are boring and HD should hire a new color team).
3) My 110 with a TTS100 cam, TTS tuner, FM 2-1-2 header and Fullsac cores and tune by Doc (cost approx $2,000 extra) has similar performance to the stock 117 and great low end torque (thanks to the cam and fullsac cores)
4) I bought the '15 with pre-owned from a dealer after it took the typical initial depreciation hit and could probably get close to what I paid for it, should I re-sell it right now.
5) Cant buy a CVO RGU, so I'd have to get a RG and then add the tourpack, etc (not sure how that would work with the remote control locking system)

Now for the "counterpoint":
1) My 110 did self destruct at approx 42,000K. Fortunately, I had an ESP and the motor has been replaced. When the new engine was installed, the lifters were swapped for S&S premiums. I would recommend anyone with a 110 to consider doing this! On the other hand, I've read about quite a few M8's that have been replaced due to sumping issues, so who knows)
2) Doesn't have the latest touch-screen radio. Not sure what that means to me in terms of value....
3) Suspension changes on the new bike, supposedly improve over the '15. But again, not sure it's all that much better. You'd have to speak with a buddy of mine that just scrapped his 18 suspension and re-did it with Ohins.

These are just my thoughts and opinions. I'm sure there will be many who feel otherwise. Good luck with your search and no matter which one you get, I'd suggest the extended wty or ESP on any of these bikes.
Actually in '15, the 3 colors were the black/ autumn like yours, a double red and a double blue which I have..

Pretty much everything else you've said is dead on.

Front suspension has changed since the Rushmore models were brought out in '14. Rear stock shocks still suck though. Lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
I was in your shoes about a month or so back except I was considering either a Special or Ultra. I wanted a true orange. I really like the 07 orange and black scheme.

I waited for the 19's to come out and saw the orange was not the orange I was looking for but gave it some thought anyways. I spent a couple days at a demo days. While there one of the new Ultras puked coolant on the ground. Not exactly confidence inspiring so I wanted to steer away from the liquid cooling.

Since the Special is also not the orange I was looking for a started looking at used. I found a 2015 Special in Amber Whiskey with 8,200 miles on it for half the price of a new one and bought it. It already had the Mustang seat with both backrest and new exhaust. I figure with the money I saved I can paint it any orange I like.
The only extras I've had to buy is the luggage rack and a better windshield. Still working on the better windshield.

I'm real happy with it. Wife and I have already taken a weekender to Arkansas and a week long trip to the Black Hills and Devils Tower. The bike has run flawless and the Amber Whiskey as grown on me so I may just keep it that color.

The 103 has enough power to do what I need to do and is smooth enough on the open road. I still get the stop light shakes but this bike doesn't stop much. It's my road bike. For around town stuff I use one of my lighter bikes.

I figure I may ride this for a few years while Harley gets the M8 worked out. Hopefully by the time I'm ready for another they have a mono-shock and an electric windshield on the Road Glide. That would get me interested in movin' on up.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
..I bought mine used instead of a new 18 and have been very happy. I’m surprised how much I’ve enjoyed all the CVO doodads that I didn’t need & never would have paid for.
...... ........... this ^
.... pick the one w/the ESP & ride it till you find exactly what'cha want
........ blow out the 110 w/an SE117 kit if'n ya really need more oomph & settle in for a plush, power ride.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Buy the 15 cvo and RIDE. When you get a chance to ride a 19 (any color) test it out. If you want the 19 you won't take a beating selling the 15 and your in no rush so you can wait for the one you want, IF you want.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
540 Posts
The 110 motor has been proven to be less than reliable. I know more people who've had a 110 blow up than is comfortable for me to even consider a 110.

Adam Sandoval DID have an M8 destruct- however he also had a stage 4 kit on his, which has KNOWN issues.

I would have a hard time opting for a 4 year old bike that is STILL $25k. I would be more looking at maybe a 19 in vivid black and doing a really bad wrap or paint job to give you the black/orange combo you desire. From there, you can also do engine upgrades as you so chose etc. You can either pay $25k and immediately pay extra for an extended warranty that you'll need given the 110's history, or you can pay roughly the same amount for a brand new bike with a 114 motor that you can make yours that comes with a two (2) year unlimited warranty.

For me, I can't see buying something that old for $25k unless it's absolutely the bike of your dreams..... then if so, make it yours!!!

Best of luck and let us know what you decide!!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I didn't read everyone's replies so sorry if I repeat something.

First, BB&B. Rent a bike and go!

Second. New bike. Get what you really want! If you are settling you will be out more money when you trade next year. Talk with other dealers if your local dealer can't get it or won't find it for you.

Personally, I would get the '19. Major improvements. The only feature from the CVO I wish was standard on all touring bikes is the TPMS. You can solve that with the FOBO TPMS and an AP on your phone.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Could always find a 15 or 16 low miler for cheap, slap a S&S or Fuel Moto 124 in it, sell the 103 to offset the cost, Get custom paint and be stoked. Heck you're up near FM land..

No way I'd:
1. Put faith in a 110 motor; too many lifter and imploding issues; like the other folks here have said
2. Get an M8 and upgrade the motor to a stage 3 or 4; That seems like where the sumping issues are happening
3. Buy a 19 CVO new (unless $$ was no issue!!); if I wanted one Id have to wait till the depreciation hit is taken; hard to believe its so quick now, didnt used to be that way (and I REALLY love the chromed out CVO this year; better in person; the entire handlebar and all controls are chrome too, wow)maybe when they are in the 25 range in a couple years...lolol
4. Buy any M8 without buying a plan from Jim at Boardtracker.

The 19 Ultra in the grey and black is a sweet ride...If I was buying now, Id get that one, Ive heard the 114 is great out of the box...the MSRP on the specials and ultras...crazy...Good Luck!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts