Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my 2nd cam chain tensioner failed at 96K miles, I decided to upgrade my 2015 Road Glide since I haven’t found a new one I rather have. I replaced the OEM clutch with SE upgrade clutch, new drive belt and the HD 117 Kit.
I already had the FP3 tuner. However I was erroneously told by my dealership that my upgrade couldn’t be tuned using the FP3. So I spent over $500 on a SE tuner and dyno time. After a month waiting on a oil pan that needed to be replaced along with the cams, oil pump and cam tensioner all of which was covered under my ESP Warranty. I finally got my bike back. The first thing I notice was the idle was running rough. The bike did have more power but I brought it back with my idle complaint. This is where I got pissed, the mechanic told me my issue was due to my OEM pipes. That to correct the idle I’d need new up graded pipes. After spending over $6K out of pocket, why wasn’t I told this when the bike was in pieces? I decided to go to an Indy down the road who told me to go with the new pipes and he’ll tune it with his PV2 tuner if I paid for the $200 license and $50 for a map. He also told me tuning with my FP3 tuner was a hit or miss proposition. $1,800 later I got the Vance & Hines Hi Output Slip Ons and the Vance & Hines Power Dual Chrome Head Pipes. The tune got the idle slightly improved. 4th-6th gear was pathetic! Now I’m extremely pissed. The Indy left early for his Labor Day weekend. I get home, reinstalled my FP3 tuner and called Vance & Hines to see if they can help me. 15 minutes later my new tailored map was downloaded to my phone app. The tech talked me through the install and said I was good to go. I didn’t need to auto tune it unless I wanted to. Right out of the garage I notice the idle was back to normal. The power improved through all the gears. All it took was 15 minutes on the phone with V&H to tune my bike. I returned my SE tuner to my dealer which they were reluctant to take back and got a refund in full on the tuner. No joy at the Indy for a refund.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,297 Posts
Glad you got the issue figured out. Sucks that you kept getting the runaround. Bike looks great, enjoy the new power.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Enjoy the new found power! Your experience reminds me of some dealer experiences I have had in the past. Aggravating!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glad you got it figured out.

Did you keep the old cylinders and heads?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you got it figured out.

Did you keep the old cylinders and heads?
Yes I got the old 110 cylinders & heads, along with the S&S adjustable push rods, decatted head pipes, CVO slip ons and the Andrews 57h cams. All taking up space in my garage. 😂

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think your bike used to be identical to mine. I have the same year and color and the Andrews 57H cams (V&H X-Pipe header and CVO slip ons). So your opinion on upgrade to 117 is valuable to me. I do have the PV2 already and my bike is approaching the 70K mark and started burning oil (1 qt per 3K miles). So I am considering a rebuild with the 117 upgrade. Did the kit come with cams and if not, what did you select? Happy with the choice? Did you consider the Drago Diablo 117 kit? Does the 117 kit come with new TB? Heck, if you are close by, I'll buy beer and dinner for the answers. I have lots of questions and any input on this is welcome.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks. After I started looking into this - as if my bike knew - she dropped a lifter and the ESP is paying to rebuild my engine. It is an opportunity but the other side of the coin is let ESP rebuild and I just pay to fix the heads (valve springs seem to be the reason for the lifter failure) but ESP is insurance - they pay for what is broken, not what causes the broken parts to get that way in the first place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. After I started looking into this - as if my bike knew - she dropped a lifter and the ESP is paying to rebuild my engine. It is an opportunity but the other side of the coin is let ESP rebuild and I just pay to fix the heads (valve springs seem to be the reason for the lifter failure) but ESP is insurance - they pay for what is broken, not what causes the broken parts to get that way in the first place.
My dealership has replaced what‘s broke and what caused it to break under ESP, in my experience.

·
Administrator
10,877 Posts
Awesome , I rebuilt my cam chest in March at 71500 ish miles , mine was ready to take the motor out , the primary shoe was almost worn through .. And you lost two in 96 thou ?? Jeez , someone worse than mine ..
Good luck ..
Oh I wrote this to say , I have the FP3 also and when I told V&H of my changes ( cams only for me ) , the map they sent me is awesome , right off the bat ..

JtB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts