Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi new to forum got first glide 3 weeks ago, new 2015 standard. was a rk and batwing lover for years and I truly cant answer why now after being on a glide for ten seconds.
not good on computers ill try and make the most sense in the shortest post I can write.
I hate air shocks just preference ive removed them on every bagger ive had with progressives my last bike was 04 rk 10,000 miles mint only thing didn't do was cams.
believe I had the prog 13 inch 412's spent around 400 if I remember they were heavy duty ones and had the three shock settings
they were one of the lower end set 4 wise I believe but the bike road awesome tracked perfect two up rode awesome never bottomed out. anyway I really liked them
now would I be able to get the same shock set for my new road glide ?
do you think I should go up a step or two because the bikes new or will I be ok withthose?
does progressive even make spring shocks for brand new models yet?
I want to go up to the 13 inch lenth because im 6'2 265 my gf is 190 so even if it doesn't increase the height of the rear I would like the extra travel.
can I install them myself? I did shocks on my ultra years ago I know my way around a bike and can do all the basics but where its new is there anything that I should be weary of as far as that goes.
im gonna keep the airlines in place any tips on hiding them from view ans protecting them?
will the set come with all the hardware and spacers ill need/
do I need to disconnect anything as far as electric goes fuses ect?
will this cause any check engine bs?
also going from the stock 12 to 13 wont throw anything off will it/
if anyone has any other shocks they feel are better quality or bang for buck pls share
also whats best site to order them from?
ive used kirk a few times but usually order thru shop but I want to order them up tonight
any advice will be appreciated

· Registered
440 Posts
Got my '13 RGC in November '12. Love it. But...., over time the air shocks wouldn't hold air. In looking at replacement options I found a lot of people spent a LOT of money for premium shocks. Some have said so and so at such and such worked up/built the perfect shocks for them and they love them. I used to sell auto parts, and I have toured shock manufacturing plants and I'm telling you a well designed shock isn't that expensive to make even using quality components. I think the "premium & high priced" shocks are way over priced but, like so many other things, they have good marketing and people pay their high prices. I went with the HD premium hand adjustable shocks, standard length for my RGC is 13". MUCH better than the air shocks. And you can get them for a lot less than the $549 HD price tag. I do very little of my own wrenching but even I could replace the shocks. Two bolts per shock. Piece of cake as long as you have a lift/jack to raise the bike so the rear wheel drops down, then slowly lower the bike thus raising the rear wheel back up some till you get it at just the right height so the bolt holes line up cause you ain't gonna be able to compress the shock to get the bolt holes to line up. And I just cut and removed the parts of the air lines that were visible and left the rest of it, including the air fill valve, where they were.

· The ICON
2,366 Posts
In shocks you get what you pay for period. I've used stock , Progressive 940 , Ricor , JRi , Ohlins #3-#3 and #6's . Most people have used one maybe two shocks . Regardless of people saying after market shocks are over priced there is a major difference in ride quality between them and stock shocks . For my money Ohlins and Howard at www.motorcyclemetal.com are the only way to go. You can buy Ohlins with your forum discount from the high $500 range to $1400. The #2 line which is in the high $500 range custom built for you will out perform anything on the market except the higher end Ohlins.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Joe. Yea I actually looked at the special hd shocks. I'm gonna go with the progressive that cost under 500 that I had on last bike. The air shocks are so bad. The system is the same on a 2015 that was on my 1990. Shame on all the greedy people out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.