Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched a little with no luck, has anyone have had an issue with the joystick volume control? (This is on a 2015 RG special with the touchscreen) I’ve had the bike for 2 weeks now and have had 2 events where the joystick will not raise or lower the volume. The stick would skip to the next track or back a track, no display on the radio while attempting to control volume. To resolve this I needed to pull over and shut off the bike then restart..... Then I was able to use the stick for volume control. Thought I’d throw this out there and see if anyone has had this.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The joystick gets some getting used to but the same joystick when moved left or right changes tracks, and up/down controls volume. Sometimes you feel like you are pushing the joystick in the up or down position while riding and you are actually moving it more left or right. It happens to me more often with the right joystick.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had this happen several times while at Thunder Beach in Panama City 2 weeks ago. I can only attribute it to heat on the front of the head unit. Too much direct sunlight on the screen shuts it off and cuts off the volume control. Power down and back up seemed to fix it. I assume it is a safety switch to ensure the screen doesn't damage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My apologies, I feel that I need to give more direct input. I'm 100% sure that I am going up and down on the joystick. I tested left to right to see if it had any function left in it, that's when I noticed that I can skip tracks. What I meant on the display issue is when you normally turn the volume up or down you see the bar display show the volume change. The head unit display over all remains on, no problem there. Just random volume up and down issue that I came across. I hope this offers more clarification to what I've experienced. If it happens again I think I'll be bringing it back to the dealer, ideally when it's happening. But as anything else do you really think it's going to happen while you're riding next to one..... ha likely not

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Geez, yet another reason for my "why not a new bike list".
Having all the controls on fiddly little switches on the bars bothers me. I've worked on enough older bikes to know that the handlebar switches are some of the first to cause problems. Yes, most work just fine for years, but the more you have the more likely you are to have problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dana93 - I have had what you clarified happen once and had to do the same thing of stopping bike, turn off and back on to fix it. No telling what the trigger is.

·
Registered
164 Posts
For what it's worth, I've had the same thing happen to me twice now. I did the same resolve of turning the bike off and on again which fixed it.

P.S.
Still frustrated with the wash out sound (in and out at high volume)

H

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same here, 2015 RGS. Didn't notice until I got on the freeway and went to adjust the volume. There's no other way to raise the volume at that point. When I got to where I was going, I shut it down and turned it back on and was then able to adjust the volume correctly.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Same here, 2015 RGS. Didn't notice until I got on the freeway and went to adjust the volume. There's no other way to raise the volume at that point. When I got to where I was going, I shut it down and turned it back on and was then able to adjust the volume correctly.
Yup, same here. I try to let the radio boot up before hitting the starter button. Pain in the ass for sure. I can't wait till they get these almost 2 year old bugs worked out of this system. I actually shut the bike off the other day and coasted till the radio powered down and then restarted the bike. Was fine after that. I made sure I had a very large safe zone before doing so.

·
Registered
34 Posts
same problem with mo 2015. Have to shut it off to get out of the problem

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yep, my 15 did this twice today. Both times bike was cold and just taken out of a climate controlled garage. I had also let the radio boot up before starting the engine.

Also do not like the fact that the bike will only start in neutral!! killed it at a light when a mosquito bit my right arm and frantically trying to get the bike running again.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've seen this issue as well (not volume, but couldnt change media type). Simple fix. Power down and back up. Like others, I now make sure my radio is up and running before hitting the start. Maybe a 5 second process.

Silly to wait on a new bike if this is the only issue of concern. Too many other improvements to discount the new packages as wholly problematic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So im not the only one. now Harley needs to do something about it!

Thanks for the feedback ya'll

·
Registered
4 Posts
XMSirius module causing this?

I have the same issue - but it did not start until I installed the XMSirius radio module. My radio was working fine for weeks and this issue started immediately after I installed the module. Now, when I start the bike, the radio volume will not work (all other functions are fine). I have experimented a bit and found that if I hold the volume joystick down (or up) while I start the bike that it will then work - not always, but generally. Frustrating, but do-able. The shut off, then start again 'fix' also works. I bring it up only because I think that the XMSirius module may be the culprit. I am going to e-mail XM to see if they ever heard of this or perhaps I got a bad module. It would be better to replace just that then have the bike at the dealers for a replacement/repair. I will update when I get an answer from XM.

Just to clarify, I have experimented quite a bit and made sure I was not inadvertently pushing in the volume/channel joystick or moving it left/right instead of up/down. Also, I have been doing it with the bike parked and both with engine running and not.

TL/DR - I believe the problem with volume joystick not working is directly related to XMSirius module.

I was poking around on the Harley site and found the updated software which specifically lists as a fix: "-Volume adjustment from hand controls does not function"

When I get home I will see if I need the update and apply (if so). Link to page for Premium radio is: http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/owners/infotainment/software-downloads.html

09/14/2015 edit:

As an update, I downloaded the new software for the radio and it fixed the issue of the volume control not working. It also seemed to improve the reception and clarity a bit too - but that may just be my perception. In any case, the software update remedied the volume issue (see above for detail).

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Hmmm... mine is the right joystick. The left (volume - tracks) works fine.

Specifically, on my right joystick the UP direction hardly ever works. LEFT, RIGHT and DOWN function normally.I have already taken it back to the dealership & their assessment was that "it's not a radio, it's a computer" and to hold the joystick in the UP position until the screen responds. I have done that. Sometimes you see movement after a few seconds. Sometimes it never moves.
I demonstrated to them that the other directions are very responsive, every time.

They said to bring it back if it continues & they will see if H-D will allow them to replace the control under warranty.

I can see no correlation between the Up functionality on the right joystick & the Sirius radio module. My scoot had the sat radio from the get-go. Besides, the joystick UP movement is the same for whatever you use it for, any menu.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts