Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 2 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
XMSirius module causing this?

I have the same issue - but it did not start until I installed the XMSirius radio module. My radio was working fine for weeks and this issue started immediately after I installed the module. Now, when I start the bike, the radio volume will not work (all other functions are fine). I have experimented a bit and found that if I hold the volume joystick down (or up) while I start the bike that it will then work - not always, but generally. Frustrating, but do-able. The shut off, then start again 'fix' also works. I bring it up only because I think that the XMSirius module may be the culprit. I am going to e-mail XM to see if they ever heard of this or perhaps I got a bad module. It would be better to replace just that then have the bike at the dealers for a replacement/repair. I will update when I get an answer from XM.

Just to clarify, I have experimented quite a bit and made sure I was not inadvertently pushing in the volume/channel joystick or moving it left/right instead of up/down. Also, I have been doing it with the bike parked and both with engine running and not.

TL/DR - I believe the problem with volume joystick not working is directly related to XMSirius module.

I was poking around on the Harley site and found the updated software which specifically lists as a fix: "-Volume adjustment from hand controls does not function"

When I get home I will see if I need the update and apply (if so). Link to page for Premium radio is: http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/owners/infotainment/software-downloads.html

09/14/2015 edit:

As an update, I downloaded the new software for the radio and it fixed the issue of the volume control not working. It also seemed to improve the reception and clarity a bit too - but that may just be my perception. In any case, the software update remedied the volume issue (see above for detail).

· Registered
4 Posts
Hmmm... mine is the right joystick. The left (volume - tracks) works fine.

Specifically, on my right joystick the UP direction hardly ever works. LEFT, RIGHT and DOWN function normally.I have already taken it back to the dealership & their assessment was that "it's not a radio, it's a computer" and to hold the joystick in the UP position until the screen responds. I have done that. Sometimes you see movement after a few seconds. Sometimes it never moves.
I demonstrated to them that the other directions are very responsive, every time.

They said to bring it back if it continues & they will see if H-D will allow them to replace the control under warranty.
The issue you're experiencing sounds more like the micro switch that controls the right joystick 'up' selection is bad or defective. Possible the little circuit board that the contacts are soldered to is cracked just enough to lose connection when you use the up selection. A hairline crack is all that is needed to make it not work sometimes. I would think that is covered under warranty - but what do I know :)

1 - 2 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.