Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has been a couple of months of planning and ordering parts. Everything was ordered from either Surdyke Hd, Newcastle HD or Intermountain HD (Utah) to include all painted parts direct from Harley. Plus exhaustive research and learning from others on this form and youtube. I converted my 2015 SGS to a 2015 Road Glide Special.

IMG_0064 2.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disassembly if batwing fairing, labelling the main harness connections to the fairing harness. Also removed gas tank, handlebars and seat to move main wire harness forward as much as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installed gauges into nacelle and inner fairing, installed radio, stage II amp and speakers, Harley LED headlight, 13" JSR handlebars. Handlebars were internally wired by me....tough job.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Outer fairing shell installed after extending the turn signal wiring. Top air duct installed too. Once everything was tightened up and double checked, I got ready to start it up. This was nerve racking but it fired up no problems. Reconnected my Ultracool reefer fan unit for oil and took it out for 100+ mile test ride. All is good!

Im really happy with the conversion. I was not a fan of the shark nose at first but they really grew on me. This is my first harley so I'm learning a lot along the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So far no error codes. The most difficult part after researching and ordering parts was the wiring extensions and routing of the wire harness. To make it easier you can buy the road glide wire harness but I reused the street glide harness and just extended some of the plugs to reach inside of the road glide fairing. Next difficult thing was internally wiring the JSR 13" handlebars. They were a bear but got them done and I love the curve they have....you should be able to see them better on below pic. Also forgot to photograph the stage II amp and speaker install. Was too excited to finish and get it to Harley for the flash...sounds 100 times better and can hear it at 60 + MPH turned up only half way.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a spreadsheet that was given to me that*I built upon*to fit what I needed.... I'll see if I can upload it.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
So far no error codes. The most difficult part after researching and ordering parts was the wiring extensions and routing of the wire harness. To make it easier you can buy the road glide wire harness but I reused the street glide harness and just extended some of the plugs to reach inside of the road glide fairing. Next difficult thing was internally wiring the JSR 13" handlebars. They were a bear but got them done and I love the curve they have....you should be able to see them better on below pic. Also forgot to photograph the stage II amp and speaker install. Was too excited to finish and get it to Harley for the flash...sounds 100 times better and can hear it at 60 + MPH turned up only half way.
Looks great brother.

The more you ride it, the more your going to dig it for sure.

Swomack

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I think I would have just traded, but great work on the swap over. Are you planning to sell the batwing parts on the "other" forum to recoup some of your costs?

I am curious to see what your highway pegs look like folded down. Can you post a side and top view of them?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies..... I saved quite a bit of money as opposed to buying a new 2019 Road Glide Special for $29,000. This swap set me back about $4,500 including the painted parts for Harley and chroming the custom handlebars. Of course HD won't do this swap. They want you to spend the money on the new bike. I think I saved quite a bit of money and learned a lot along the way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't forget to throw your spreadsheet up when you get a chance.

Some people with trikes might even find this useful too :smile:
JA THAT !!!!!

First off Great Job!!!!

Thats not as expensive as i thought it would be. I would be willing to do that to my bike as well. I am at the point where its time to sell to trade up or do this. I could save money by doing a lot the wiring extensions myself, would love to see your costs and what all was really needed. Thanks for the documented build up! Great job again!

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Nice job, looks great.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts