Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few question. To see if anyone else has had this happen on a 2015. Washed the bike and now it will not start in gear. Has to be n neutral now to start. 2nd .The gear numbers also went off for about 30 miles. They have now come back on. 3nd question. touch screen goes dark and I have to turn the bike off and back on. I love the touch screen radio and gps, that is why I upgraded. But I did worry about this kind of problem. Anyone?

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Did you hose high pressure water right at the controls and HU ? Maybe the water got onto the wiring. Rain don't come down high pressure like a hose can produce, just be more careful next time in those area's.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Just a thought - I know there were some software updates, did you get them?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have had all of the above happen. Your cruise will not work either with no gear indicator. I think it does have something to do with cleaning and water. Now the radio that is the great gremlins of the new Rushmore bikes. SG and RG owners alike are having this problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Add to the list of issues with the Infotainment system.....GPS map upgrades.

The most recent map available is dated 2013 Q2....at a cost of $149 -$159. The MOCO site Infotainment software upgrades don't have anything to do with the maps in the GPS. You must go to https://harley-davidson.naviextras.com/shop/portal

Pretty sad how they are taking top dollar, for a touring product that is outdated before it even hits the road. GPS systems and Touring kind of go hand-in-hand

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Add to the list of issues with the Infotainment system.....GPS map upgrades.

The most recent map available is dated 2013 Q2....at a cost of $149 -$159. The MOCO site Infotainment software upgrades don't have anything to do with the maps in the GPS. You must go to https://harley-davidson.naviextras.com/shop/portal

Pretty sad how they are taking top dollar, for a touring product that is outdated before it even hits the road. GPS systems and Touring kind of go hand-in-hand
What does it have to do with ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No power wash just hand washed it. Going to tell the stealer when get it service. Still will not start in gear been over 100 miles. Thanks for all of the help

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
No power wash just hand washed it. Going to tell the stealer when get it service. Still will not start in gear been over 100 miles. Thanks for all of the help
Try working the clutch lever a few quick times a before you try to start in gear. My switch sticks once in a while.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 15X I know I have started it in gear even after washing, as for the gear indicator working... it only works while in gear clutch fully released, so this may be a clutch switch issue with your bike & a stealer should be able to monitor switches via computer like I can with the SERPT. Now for the touch screen, I have had the same issues! Factory setup leaves options open... I suggest turning off the adaptive display simply because it uses the clock not where you are located or daylight savings or a ambient light sensor to determine how much backlight you may need. I turned off the adaptive display settings because I either travel from dark/sunrise or sunset/dusk which left my display miserable to see almost all the time. P.s. if your running an O.E. wind shield be sure to do the update via thumb drive & website to your radio OMFG I can finally hear the radio w/o horrible distortion that I never had on my old 07 FLTR. Still not up to par but it was like I was deaf before the update. Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
The 15's WILL start in gear. In fact that's the way they tell you to determine if your clutch is failing due to the recall.
The procedure is to put it in gear pointed to an open area, and while holding the brakes start it. If it wants to go forward your clutch is failing.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
The 15s will not start while in gear. New safety feature.
They will if the clutch lever is pulled in. But the hydraulic clutch doesn't really do a good job of disengaging the clutch plates if you're trying to start it in gear (especially in first.... the bike will lurch a little bit).

There is a clutch safety switch behind the clutch lever. When you squeeze the clutch lever the switch closes the circuit and allows the bike to start in gear (again as long as the clutch lever is pulled and the switch is working correctly).

The switch housings are not water proof. They might be a little rain proof, but they definitely aren't power wash proof. There is only one shield inside each of the switch housings and it only goes between the grip and the electronics in the switch housing.

Since your bike is still under warranty I'd take it to the dealer and let them fix it. But be careful next time around :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts