Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed several sets of higher bars on bikes before, I understand that the green TBW connector is best to be took out, What my question is Ive heard the 15 touring bikes have the can bus wiring now. What is the difference in that versus the previous years switch housing wiring? Is the same amount of wires? Usually I cut and solder the wire extensions and was just wondering if this was ok to do with the can bus system? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just saw this post I am new to Harleys but have been riding for a long time. I love my new Harley. I have a 15 Road Glide and I just ordered the vindikta 18" apes for it. I am wondering what else I will need for the wiring extensions brake lines so on so forth. Does anyone sale a complete kit for this for a reasonable amount? Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
subscribe. I am planning on ordering black Carlini Menace Apes 16" I hope thats not too short for me, I am 6'1". Will need wiring extensions, but thinking of figuring out how much longer hydraulic hoses I need for brakes and clutch and take it to local shop who can make new longer hoses. I have used them for cars and etc. I just hope they have black fittings.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I just saw this post I am new to Harleys but have been riding for a long time. I love my new Harley. I have a 15 Road Glide and I just ordered the vindikta 18" apes for it. I am wondering what else I will need for the wiring extensions brake lines so on so forth. Does anyone sale a complete kit for this for a reasonable amount? Thanks for all the help guys.
When somebody writes subscribe, they are just intending to subscribe to the thread. Hill Country Custom Cycles sells complete setups, but not sure if they sell a setup minus the bars. You may want to check with them.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I type subscribe on a thread when I don't have anything to contribute at the time but interested on the discussion, because I find it easier to get alerts to the thread when commented on versus pressing the subscribe button for the thread.

But thx for the info. I should have a definite answer to my install soon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
566 Posts
When somebody writes subscribe, they are just intending to subscribe to the thread. Hill Country Custom Cycles sells complete setups, but not sure if they sell a setup minus the bars. You may want to check with them.
I don't think Hill Country will have anything for the new '15's. I put their bars on my 2008 RG that I had and when I traded that in for the '15 the first thing I did was email HCC. They replied and said that they don't have anything for the '15's and had zero intention on making anything for it.

So......I decided they could pack sand and I went to Vindikta's on the '15! GLAD I DID TOO!!! Soooooo much better than the HCC's!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry about not knowing what the subscribe meant im new here. I still haven't figured out what all I will need though. Seth how tall are you? About where do your bars come to on you? Im 6'3 and when I measured for the 18" it came to about my shoulder which is where I want them. I just hope I didn't screw up and they are to tall.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Namz has a plug and play kit for the '15s but they won't recommend the length I need for the switch wire kit.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I don't think Hill Country will have anything for the new '15's. I put their bars on my 2008 RG that I had and when I traded that in for the '15 the first thing I did was email HCC. They replied and said that they don't have anything for the '15's and had zero intention on making anything for it.

So......I decided they could pack sand and I went to Vindikta's on the '15! GLAD I DID TOO!!! Soooooo much better than the HCC's!
I spoke to HCC and they told me they have a complete kit for under $1k. Straight bold on. I have used the Wild 1 Chubby 14" apes on my last two bikes and intend to run them on the new bike no matter what I need to do. There are times I spend 15-hrs in a day riding in the saddle and those are the most comfortable bars I've ever had.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I agree with you on Wild1 bars. I had a set of their 16" on my RK for 7 yrs. Very comfortable. But They only make bars 1.25 thick.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I agree with you on Wild1 bars. I had a set of their 16" on my RK for 7 yrs. Very comfortable. But They only make bars 1.25 thick.

Yes, they are 1.25" bars, but they reduce to 1" at the riser. My Wide Glide had 1.25" risers and I had to purchase a kit to make them work on that. The '12 Road Glide had 1" risers so the bars worked normally on that with no adapters. I expect the same with the '15 RGS with the exception that I will have to remove the pin. I don't see that as a big deal as the bars and risers should be knurled which will keep them from moving. No different than any of the older bikes and has always worked fine for me.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
When I mentioned the bars being only 1.25" thick, I prefer them to be 1.5". 1.5 provides a little more room for internal wiring and have a thicker look to them IMO.

·
Registered
593 Posts
When I mentioned the bars being only 1.25" thick, I prefer them to be 1.5". 1.5 provides a little more room for internal wiring and have a thicker look to them IMO.

Ahhh, gotcha. I can understand that. The beefier look is good, but never had a problem running the internal wiring on the Wild1's. I just like the feel and wrist angle of them so they are my bars of choice. The devil you know...

·
Registered
179 Posts
The wiring extensions are a gift from above. My buddy got one of the first 2014 Ultra Limiteds and we cut soldered and extended all the wires so he could use Yaffe bars and nothing worked. Bumpus finally had to fix it for over a grand. If he had just waited for the extensions it would have all been plug and play for very little money. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sorry about not knowing what the subscribe meant im new here. I still haven't figured out what all I will need though. Seth how tall are you? About where do your bars come to on you? Im 6'3 and when I measured for the 18" it came to about my shoulder which is where I want them. I just hope I didn't screw up and they are to tall.
I'm 5'9" and the 14" bars put my hands just barely above my shoulders. I have them rolled as far forward as they can go without hitting the inner fairing at full lock left and right.

·
Registered
566 Posts

That's what I LOVE about my Vindikta's. 1.25" across the riser, but 1.5" everywhere else! Beefy looking bars, and PERFECT welds! The thicker bars make for easier wiring too, seeing as though there are two sharp 90 degree bends on each side you have to fish the wires through.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts