Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 FLTRU with 2400 miles. My biggest issue at the moment is about the vibration I feel at 75 miles an hour, @ 3000 RPM. Significant handlebar shake and vibration in floorboards. Touch the air cleaner housing and yes you can feel it. That same vibration present at lower speeds but not as noticeable. Also hear a lot of valvetrain noise.
Maybe picky but seem like this thing should be as smooth as butter past idle.

I also have a rear brake vibration at moderate braking speeds.

Any idea where to start?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I have not. What should I be looking for?
Dont take this the wrong way but If you dont know where or how to check the motor mounts then maybe you should take it to someone to look at it. Make them show you what they are doing. You can learn a lot from watching. Also at 24k miles how are the tires and brakes. I would suspect they are all new or should be. Good luck with what ever you do. Does it vibrate in neutral with a little throttle applied? Just curious.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries. I do as much as I can but a mans got to know his limitations. The bike has 2400 miles not 24000. I understand that Harleys vibrate but should smooth out with RPM. Seems like this has always had a noticeable vibration but on the interstate this weekend @ 3000 rpm at 75 MPH it was bad. If I took my had off the left grip the bars would shake so bad you could see it.

Somethings wrong but with so few miles it makes me wonder. The bike has lots of power and runs well but that vibration is a beast.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
As others have mentioned, check your tires. That's not a lot of mileage on a 2016 model, so I'd guess that it sits in the same place for long periods of time. Brakes should be good though.

In addition to the motor mounts, check your front and rear wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
That bike is still new. I’d take it to a good dealer or indy & let them check it out unless you spot something obvious. Bad vibration at high speed sounds dangerous to me.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Some have found stones or even a bolt or something wedged between the frame and motor. This will send the vibs right up to your bars.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Keep us posted. Im riding a 16 as well. I had a similar issue but I had 20k miles and needed brakes and tires.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Some have found stones or even a bolt or something wedged between the frame and motor. This will send the vibs right up to your bars.
Yes give a look along the length of the exhaust, any areas between the engine and frame where something may be binding or wedged. There are about 100 things that can do this, maybe having someone experienced in Harley vibration take a spin and have a look. Mine does have 24000 miles, and it has the vibrating thump at idle but is smooth as glass (Harley glass) at cruise speed. Getting a manual would help with engine mounts, torques and such. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When it was still under warranty, I complained about a small vibration from the front wheel. Dealer discovered a dry bearing and replaced. This time its different. Yesterday I called the dealer and discussed it with service advisor and he asked about the 1000 mile service. Said steering head bearing may need adjusting. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but it seems like that's a bit of a long shot. One of my issues is that this bike is out of warranty and I feel that I should go back to this particular dealer because I may have more leverage if something significant is wrong with this bike. They are a good dealer but are a long way from where I live and there are closer dealers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Keep us posted. Im riding a 16 as well. I had a similar issue but I had 20k miles and needed brakes and tires.
I have a 2016 also and had a vibration turned out to be a warped brake rotor, replaced under the extended warranty - all is great now - no issues at all, dealer actually did front and rear rotors for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2016 also and had a vibration turned out to be a warped brake rotor, replaced under the extended warranty - all is great now - no issues at all, dealer actually did front and rear rotors for me.

This was at 6,000 miles by the way......

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Had this happen to me. Dealer said motor mount (s) or crank. Turned out to be small rocks wedged between rear of tranny and frame. Picked em out. And all was good.

·
Registered
529 Posts
2016 with only 2400 miles on, maybe the tires are kind of “the Flintstones” now.
A new set of tires probably will fix the issue

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
No worries. I do as much as I can but a mans got to know his limitations. The bike has 2400 miles not 24000. I understand that Harleys vibrate but should smooth out with RPM. Seems like this has always had a noticeable vibration but on the interstate this weekend @ 3000 rpm at 75 MPH it was bad. If I took my had off the left grip the bars would shake so bad you could see it.

Somethings wrong but with so few miles it makes me wonder. The bike has lots of power and runs well but that vibration is a beast.
Have you checked to see if the same amount of vibration occurs at 3000 rpm in all gears? Does the vibration go away at 75mph by engaging the clutch, rolling off the throttle and coasting? If so, then most likely it engine related and motor mounts or foreign objects like the aforementioned rocks might be the cause. If not, then it’s specifically vehicle speed dependent so tires, wheels, head bearings, or post-engine drive train components would be my focus.

Reactions: RonC26

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I have a 2016 FLTRU with 2400 miles. My biggest issue at the moment is about the vibration I feel at 75 miles an hour, @ 3000 RPM. Significant handlebar shake and vibration in floorboards. Touch the air cleaner housing and yes you can feel it. That same vibration present at lower speeds but not as noticeable. Also hear a lot of valvetrain noise.
Maybe picky but seem like this thing should be as smooth as butter past idle.

I also have a rear brake vibration at moderate braking speeds.

Any idea where to start?
Ever figure out what was going on???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took the bike to the dealer for troubleshooting. 1st 2 techs rode it and said it road and felt normal. Finally the Service Manager rode it and said the vibration was terrible. They removed the rear wheel and checked the balance. It needed 11 quarter ounce weights to balance. Wow what a difference. Its like the bike it should have been from the 1st mile. Wish I would have been able to pick up on it when I bought it.

Hats off to the dealer who didn't give up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts