Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im in the middle of My T bar install and I am having a hell of a time pulling the wires on the Fly by wire/ right side control half of the install, all terminals have been de-pinned, Ive tried the westinghouse chain method and it breaks the chain every time, Ive also tried using electrical tape and a shoe lace however every time I get to the only 90 degree turn in the bars it gets jammed up and wont fit with both wires or it pulls the shoe lace out from under the tape. I have the electronic throttle assembly fully installed, the left control wire went thru no problem, now I just need to get the right side control wire thru and Im Golden, does anyone have any insight for me here ? Ive also gotten desperate and dowsed the wires with WD which ultimely didnt help, haha. If anyone can give me any information on this Id really appreciate anyones input or ideas.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Put a baggie over end (wires) and tape. use shoelace to pull.. put liquid dish soap and little water along casing and it will slide through. make sure the wire end is SEALED WELL..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put a baggie over end (wires) and tape. use shoelace to pull.. put liquid dish soap and little water along casing and it will slide through. make sure the wire end is SEALED WELL..

So put a small plastic bag over the end of the wire @ terminals ? Ill assume the shoelace ets taped to the outside of the wire/baggie ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Im going to try tying the shoelace around the wires about 4" up from the ends and pull them thru that way, I was also thinking about a couple small zip ties on the shoelace. However the corners of the small zip ties would probably get stuck on the 90 corner......

·
Registered
83 Posts
use the plastic bag to seal the wires. put lace above bag and tap it WELL. the soap will help free up the stickyness on wire casing. doing the push/ pull method will (Should) get it through. The problem is the tension pulling down binds in the corner. alternate with a push (feed end) and pull from bottom. it will go through, just SLOWLY

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I used weed whacker string when I did mine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I do not have Tbars but like RealCowboyMD said little dish soap and I used regular string make the end as slim and smooth as possible and should go through easily with a little push pull. I did my wires one at a time instead of booth big first and with the soap the second just went right on through. Took me @ 30-40 min to do total take down and install.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
use the plastic bag to seal the wires. put lace above bag and tap it WELL. the soap will help free up the stickyness on wire casing. doing the push/ pull method will (Should) get it through. The problem is the tension pulling down binds in the corner. alternate with a push (feed end) and pull from bottom. it will go through, just SLOWLY

Went and bought a bottle of DAWN dish soap and suds the shit out of a small amount of water, coated both wires with soapy suds/water and was able to get them pulled. My wife figured out that when you electrical tape the shoelace to the wire you need to go in an under over pattern so it doesnt just pull the shoelace out from under the tape. This helped tremendously !, got them pulled, re pinned and on the bike last night !

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for lack of photos ! I have been really busy with other stuff and finally had a moment to upload !

Heres the bike with the 14" West Coast T Bars installed. They were a fair amount of work to install but well worth the effort IMO ! Enjoy ! Let me know if anyone has any questions.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey your bars look really cool. They don't look like they have any pull back. Can you reach them ok? How tall are ya?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts