Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month ago I bought a 2017 RGS with 4500 miles. I demo'd a 2018 SG, but really loved how the RGS handled. I have only put 150 miles on it, but am having some reservations.

My concern/complaint is how badly it shakes when I am idling. I have been told all about the A engine issues and that the way the front engine mount is designed, the engine is loose, therefore the shaking. I was hoping to get some input from some long time RG lovers. Is this something to be concerned about? Should it be checked by the dealer or is this typical RG behavior? It smooths out immediately when on throttle, but is embarrassing at stop.

I love how it sounds and how it rides, but is this strong shaking normal?

I am already fully involved in customizing it to fit me. Just bought a 14 inch windscreen, rear highway bar and saddlebag bars. I was going to purchase low/med Apes and a back rest this weekend. I have chosen a ghost paint airbrush design (estimated cost of $2k to get it done.) I don't want to keep pouring money into making it my own if I have to live with this shaking. I really hate it.

If it is normal, can anything be down to fasten it down any? Soften the shaking with a new motor mount, change the bushings, tighten the risers, check the torque? I don't know. Maybe some duct tape. :)

Any advice would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Howdy,

Info is a little confusing. Is it a 16 or 17? 16 is a twin cam and yes they shake at idle. 17 is a M8 that has some flywheel balancing engineered into it like the softails.
Love my 15 RGS, they are suppose to shake its a harley....goldie

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
A month ago I bought a 2017 RGS with 4500 miles. I demo'd a 2018 SG, but really loved how the RGS handled. I have only put 150 miles on it, but am having some reservations.

My concern/complaint is how badly it shakes when I am idling. I have been told all about the A engine issues and that the way the front engine mount is designed, the engine is loose, therefore the shaking. I was hoping to get some input from some long time RG lovers. Is this something to be concerned about? Should it be checked by the dealer or is this typical RG behavior? It smooths out immediately when on throttle, but is embarrassing at stop.

I am already fully involved in customizing it to fit me. Just bought a 14 inch windscreen, rear highway bar and saddlebag bars. I was going to purchase low/med Apes and a back rest this weekend. I have chosen a ghost paint airbrush design (estimated cost of $2k to get it done.) I don't want to keep pouring money into making it my own if I have to live with this shaking. I really hate it.

If it is normal, can anything be down to fasten it down any? Soften the shaking with a new motor mount, change the bushings, tighten the risers, check the torque? I don't know. Maybe some duct tape. :)

Welcome to the forum!

if you have an Owner's Manual, check out the section on EITMS
(Engine Idle Temperature Management System)
When the engine gets hot and you are sitting at idle (like waiting on a traffic light) the engine cuts power to the rear cylinder.
If you don't have a manual do a search on this site for information.
You can Disable the operation if you so desire.
It is a bit unnerving the first time you encounter it!

·
Registered
773 Posts
EITMS is either on or off. Once it's set one way, it will stay that way until it is changed. If you want to turn EITMS off; turn your bike on but don't start it. Hold your throttle rolled forward for 10-12 seconds. That should turn it off.

Reactions: Little Wing

·
Registered
435 Posts

16 or 17? I have a 16RGS the twin cam shakes like a Harley. I have no experience with the M8, but understand they are counter balanced and smoother. If it is a 16 don't be concerned with the shaking, check fasteners religiously and locktight anything you can (blue). EITMS on or off, does not change the shaking much on mine. If its a 17 get it checked out. If it's a 16 and you cant stand the shake, trade it and get an M8, Honda, BMW etc...

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

No idea what your scooter is doing. "Shakes bad" being sort of dependant on your point of reference. Rubber mounted twin cams dance some at idle. And if it drops a jug, either from ETMS or a mechanical issue, they will shake your teeth out.

If you're new to Harleys, it might just be nothing at all. Post a little video clip for us to have a look see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts